Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 02:23:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Clinton campaign advisers: Bill Clinton 'needs to stop'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clinton campaign advisers: Bill Clinton 'needs to stop'  (Read 21 times)
Kristina
Superhero Member

« on: January 28, 2008, 01:19:48 pm »

Clinton campaign advisers: Bill Clinton 'needs to stop'
Posted: 02:05 PM ET

Some Clinton backers aren't happy with the former president's aggressive campaigning.
CNN) – Democratic sources supportive of and regularly in touch with the Clinton campaign describe what one calls "a huge wave" of sentiment that Bill Clinton "needs to stop."

The sources — who requested anonymity because of the sensitivity of the subject — act as either unpaid advisers or surrogates for Hillary Clinton's presidential campaign. Interviewed separately, they agreed that the former president's recent headline-generating statements "hurt more than helped" his wife's South Carolina campaign.

His comments criticized as racially insensitive, the verbal sparring with Barack Obama, and his "scolding" of the media are "distractions," say these Clinton supporters. Hillary Clinton, says one, "needs to take and be the lead."

The former president has long been renowned for his adept political skills. But he is "missing a beat" and has "become tone deaf" about the dynamic he has brought to his wife's campaign, according to one source who has known both Clintons for decades.

"Something has happened," says the source. "He just wants to help her too much, or maybe protect his own legacy too much."

Another source, who worked in the Clinton administration, called it "unbelievable" that the former president linked Barack Obama's South Carolina victory to Rev. Jesse Jackson's wins in 1984 and 1988 in the state.

Though Clinton campaign had invested considerable time and money in South Carolina, the former president's remark was interpreted by some as an attempt to dismiss Obama's win as an expected outcome in a state where more than half of Democratic primary voters were African-American.

The introduction of race as an issue in the 2008 Democratic contest has caused angst and anger in the Democratic Party over the past few weeks — including what one source described as an "angry" phone conversation between the former president and Sen. Ted Kennedy just after the New Hampshire primary.

In the phone call, Kennedy expressed his alarm that race had been injected into the campaign to the detriment of the party.

Kennedy and his son, Rep. Patrick Kennedy, today endorsed Obama's campaign at a Washington, D.C. campaign event. They were joined by Caroline Kennedy, daughter of the late John F. Kennedy, who endorsed Obama Sunday in a New York Times editorial.

There was no suggestion from the sources critical of Mr. Clinton's recent campaign appearances that he should be sidelined, only that he "depart from the headlines and center stage."

Former President Clinton, with an approval rating of over 80 percent among Democrats, is seen overall as a potential asset, said these sources. But he needs to be his "summer self," said a long-time Clinton supporter — when he made fewer headlines, and focused on his wife's resume and policy proposals.

There was also unanimous agreement on the part of the critics that the only person with the sway to change Bill Clinton's high-profile role is the candidate herself, Hillary Clinton.

The Clinton campaign was not immediately available for comment.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/01/28/clinton-campaign-advisers-bill-clinton-needs-to-stop/#more-4808
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:27:13 pm »

Sen. Clinton: Time 'to take a deep breath'
Posted: 08:44 AM ET

Sen. Clinton campaigned in Memphis, Tennessee a day after the South Carolina Democratic primary.
(CNN) — After days of growing debate about his prominent role in her campaign efforts, Sen. Hillary Clinton said Sunday she knows how her husband feels.

"You know, I think that what he is doing for me is obviously out of a sense of deep commitment to me personally, but also based on his experience as president as to who he thinks would best lead our country," Clinton told CBS' "Face the Nation."

"And I know that in my own support of him going back some years, I sometimes got a little bit carried away. I confess to that."

Asked by host Bob Schieffer whether the former president has gotten "carried away," Hillary Clinton laughed and responded, "I think it's human nature, Bob. I think that the spouses of all three of us have, you know, been passionate and vigorous defenders of each of us and, you know, maybe got a little carried away. But, you know, that comes with a hard-fought election.

"It also comes with sleep deprivation which, you know, I think is marking all of us, our families, our supporters."

Critics have complained about some of Bill Clinton's remarks on the trail for his wife in South Carolina, including his reference to Jesse Jackson having won primaries in the state in the 1980s.

The remark was widely seen as a suggestion that Obama's success would be largely based on his race. In the end, Obama won with a large majority of African-American voters, while most whites voted for Clinton or Sen. John Edwards.

Obama, speaking Sunday on ABC's "This Week," sidestepped a question about whether the former president's remark was a matter of "racial politics."

"I think that that's his frame of reference, was the Jesse Jackson races," Obama said.

Hillary Clinton told CBS, "I am very, very proud of my husband's record as a leader in our country going back so many years and what he's done. And people know his heart. They know, you know, what he has stood for.

"So, I'm really glad that he's there with me, and I think everybody just needs to take a deep breath. We need to be focusing on what's important in the lives of Americans."

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: