Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:38:48 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Hunt for Lost City of Atlantis
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/3227295.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Kennedy: 'It's time now for Barack Obama'

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kennedy: 'It's time now for Barack Obama'  (Read 24 times)
Kristina
Superhero Member

« on: January 28, 2008, 01:05:18 pm »

Kennedy: 'It's time now for Barack Obama'

Story Highlights
Sen. Edward Kennedy endorses Sen. Barack Obama for president

Brother of President Kennedy says "it is time for new leadership"

Caroline Kennedy, JFK's daughter, and Rep. Patrick Kennedy also endorse Obama

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Edward Kennedy backed Sen. Barack Obama for president Monday, saying: "It is time again for a new generation of leadership."

Sen. Edward Kennedy shakes Barack Obama's hand after endorsing him Monday.

"It is time now for Barack Obama," the Massachusetts senator and brother of the late President Kennedy added.

He stood with Obama, his son Rep. Patrick Kennedy and his niece, Caroline Kennedy before a screaming capacity crowd of students at American University in Washington, DC.

"Like you, we want a president who appeals to the hopes of those who still believe in the American dream," he said.

"I've found that candidate. And it looks to me like you have too," he said.

Kennedy said he has always planned to "support the candidate who inspires me, who inspires all of us, who can lift our vision and summon our hopes and renew our belief that our country's best days are still to come."

And picking up on Obama's central campaign theme, he said, "I feel change in the air. What about you?"

Kennedy also praised Sens. Hillary Clinton and John Edwards, and vowed, "whoever is our nominee will have my enthusiastic support."

But he also took a line from Clinton's campaign, saying that Obama "is ready to be president on day one."

The senator -- a fixture of the Democratic Party popular with many liberals -- was introduced by Caroline Kennedy, who thought back to her father, the slain president. She said Obama offers the "sense of hope and inspiration" that young people today need. In fact, she said, her children "were the first people who made me realize Barack Obama is the president we need."

Caroline Kennedy endorsed Obama in a New York Times editorial over the weekend.

Members of the Kennedy clan are split in the race. Former Maryland Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend issued a statement Sunday stating her support for Hillary Clinton.

"I respect Caroline and Teddy's decision, but I have made a different choice," she said. "While I admire Sen. Obama greatly, I have known Hillary Clinton for over 25 years and have seen firsthand how she gets results. As a woman, leader and person of deep convictions, I believe Hillary Clinton would make the best possible choice for president."

She added that her brother Bobby and sister Kerry are also backing Clinton.

Kennedy Townsend is the oldest child of Robert F. Kennedy. E-mail to a friend

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/01/28/kennedy.obama/index.html
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 01:06:19 pm »

Ted Kennedy usually doesn't endorse anyone, so this is unusual.
Report Spam   Logged

"Nothing gives one person so much advantage over another as to remain always cool and unruffled under all circumstances."

Thomas Jefferson
Kristina
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 01:11:25 pm »

by Mark Halperin|Monday, January 28, 2008

HALPERIN’S TAKE: Six Reasons Why the Kennedy Endorsement is a Big Deal

While endorsements don’t usually matter much, Edward Kennedy’s does because:

1. He has a huge following with Hispanics, a big deal in California and other Super Tuesday states, and one of Obama’s weaknesses.

2. The symbolic Kennedy family thing — the ultimate message of change, viability, Democratic legitimacy, and youthful excitement.

3. The national press will be obsessed with the story for days and days to come, with no downside for Obama; the local press coverage when Kennedy travels for Obama will be ginormous.

4. It sends a message to other senators and superdelegates that it is OK to be for Obama — they don’t have to be afraid of the Clintons.

5. He has a huge following among working-class, traditional Democrats, one of Obama’s weaknesses.

6. He has a huge following among union households, another of Obama’s weaknesses.

http://thepage.time.com/halperins-take-five-reasons-why-the-kennedy-endorsement-is-a-big-deal/
Report Spam   Logged

Thomas Jefferson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: