Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 08:14:45 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean  (Read 35548 times)
Horus

« Reply #105 on: January 03, 2008, 09:27:23 am »

Horus, are there any scientific papers you're referring to when you state that the Grand Bahamas Bank was submerged by 100 to 300 feet of water?  I assume this would be at the last Ice Age and my interest would be if it happened quickly or gradually.

Good question Arcturus, and it's mine too.  This is what I do know:

Research done by Professor Faught's FSU team on the Florida Shelf reveals that sea levels were 110 ft. lower 12,000 years ago and 300 ft. lower 18,000 years ago.  This data is also corroborated by a study made by Toscano and McIntyre. The Grand Bahama Bank is relatively shallow (in some areas only 15ft. for miles and miles) matching Plato's statement in that regard.   

A study of stalactites in underwater caves or "blue holes" beneath Andros Island (which were explored by Jacques Cousteau) proved that they were above the surface in 10,000 B.C. and suggesting that the whole Bahama Platform was submerged about that time. 

Research done in other parts of the world have proved rapid and sudden flooding of certain areas such as the modern Persian Gulf during this cataclysmic period circa 9600 B.C. This is why scientists mark the beginning of the Holocene period at that exact date because of the sudden shifting of climate and sea levels at this time.  Is it a coincidence that this falls 9000 years before Solon's time as given in Plato's Dialogues?

My own theory suggests that volcanism from the nearby Caribbean Crustal Plate (which is small and highly unstable having five other major plates grinding against it) was dramatically accelerated by either an axial poleshift or the Carolina Bays meteor bombardment and either of these events could have produced a sudden, violent tectonic submergence of the southern rim of the North American Plate which is already naturally subducting the Caribb Plate.  -H
Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: