Atlantis Online
March 18, 2024, 09:46:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean  (Read 35206 times)
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2008, 08:11:19 am »

Looking at this GIF, how would a continent sized island develope in the Atlantic basin?
Report Spam   Logged

HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2008, 08:19:14 am »

Even in this animation of tectonic movement. In the ocean, great underwater mountains are formed when plates spread away from one another, and melted rock pushes up through the gap. Yet there is no evidence of this in any of the sources that I have researched yet at the bottom of the Atlantic atleast.

Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2008, 02:46:40 pm »

Even in this animation of tectonic movement. In the ocean, great underwater mountains are formed when plates spread away from one another, and melted rock pushes up through the gap. Yet there is no evidence of this in any of the sources that I have researched yet at the bottom of the Atlantic atleast.

Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Horus

« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2008, 10:53:45 am »

HereForNow,

The continents were united as one supercontinent 250 million years ago during the Paleozoic and Mesozoic periods.  This was well before the timetable for Atlantis' civilization offered by Plato or Cayce or even Blavatsky!

Also, though Atlantis doesn't seem to have it's "own" crustal plate, there's nothing to preclude the idea that portions of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge were once above the surface.  In fact quite the opposite.  Geological evidence of rivers and lakebeds can be found on the Azores Plateau, and corings in that area have found freshwater diatoms proving that this particular area was once above the surface and as recently as 12,000 years ago.

-H
Report Spam   Logged

"For the greater individual is the one who is the servant of all. And to conquer self is greater than taking cities."

Reading 3253-2
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2008, 01:56:38 pm »

Now the question arises; where is the great and fair plains?

Greenland and Antarctica would have these features. As well as a mountain(s), rivers, and areas of circular anomalies. I'm not going to say that it's not a possible Atlantis. I'm only stating that all the legendary tell-tail signs about Atlantis, are not here.  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #140 on: May 11, 2008, 05:35:12 pm »

Re: Atlantis CANNOT be in America
« Reply #112 on: Today at 10:19:34 pm » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Smiley4554

Administrator
Member # 332

posted 07-09-2002 12:33 PM           

There are dozens of sites w/Atlantis...use search engine.

Once all the maps have been studied, especially using ocean topography, it is clear that the Pacific cannot have been the location of Atlantis, but you will also notice that in the Atlantic are found 10 plains, possible for 10 kingdoms for 10 kings just as Plato's account states.

*************************************************************************************

They are:

On the East side of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge:

Biscay Plain

Cape Verde Plain

Angola Plain

Cape Plain

Weddell Plain

On the West side of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge:

Sohm Plain

Hatteras Plain

Demeraro Plain

Pernambuco Plain

Argentine Plain (the largest of all)

I must admit, when I counted the plains within the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, I was astounded to find that

there were exactly 10 of them! I was not expecting this at all.

I found them when Zia placed the theory of Indonesia. I must thank Zia for this.

*************************************************************************************

Also, The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is the ONLY (and full) North-South "crack" in the world tying into the

following:

Southwest & Southeast Indian Ridge

Central Indian Ridge

Pacific Antarctic Ridge

East Pacific Rise

Juan de Fuca Ridge

Even though the area of the Ring of Fire surrounds the Pacific, it SURROUNDS the Pacific. It does not fit in with Atlantis.

Also, you might look up a map that has the Panthalssa Ocean & Tethys Sea. This is a little harder to find.

THE MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,280.90.html#lastPost
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 05:38:35 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2008, 02:54:57 am »

I think my circuits are overloading Grin  I can't believe I haven't read this thread before - it's beautiful.  The work that went into it is incredible.  I was looking for a place to post this link

http://www.goldenageproject.org.uk/survey.html

and thought it should be here.  Hell, I'm a day late and a dollar short aren't I? Embarrassed
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2008, 05:40:57 am »

Hi Qoais,

We already have a great thread on Christian O'Brien with excerpts from the Golden Age Project website.

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1458.0.html

By the way, this thread also contains the best article I have ever read against the theory of continental drift.

Tom

Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2008, 10:12:12 am »

QUOTE:

"I can't believe I haven't read this thread before - it's beautiful. 

The work that went into it is incredible"

Yes, that's 'dhill'!!!

I am this person's biggest fan, I think......

Unfortunately, because of other obligations, he can't be here too often.

The only thing that kept me at AR was reading his ORIGINAL. 
After that, I lost interest in that site....

Here it is:

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,5655.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #144 on: August 25, 2008, 12:39:44 pm »

Would you believe that the MOON bounced off Earth twice in 1055 and 855 bc ?

In 1055 bc the seismic wave travelling trough earth's core came out the other end
and caused the Americas to separate from europe and africa the Greeks called this TITANO-machia

in 855 bc, the seismic wave cause the Himalayians to rise and all Lakes to burst causing Sealevel-rise.
Dr velikovsky called it a collectiv memory loss that nobody seems to remember these 2 Events
Report Spam   Logged

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #145 on: August 25, 2008, 03:06:02 pm »

Blue Hue - surely you don't believe the Himilayas are only about 2600 years old?    The earth was well populated then, and I'm sure there would have been writings about such a catacylsmic event in all cultures of those times. 

"The Himalayas are among the youngest mountain ranges on the planet. According to the modern theory of plate tectonics, their formation is a result of a continental collision or orogeny along the convergent boundary between the Indo-Australian Plate and the Eurasian Plate. The collision began in the Upper Cretaceous period about ► 70 million years ago, when the north-moving Indo-Australian Plate, moving at about 15 cm/year, collided with the Eurasian Plate. By about 50 million years ago this fast moving Indo-Australian plate had completely closed the Tethys Ocean, whose existence has been determined by sedimentary rocks settled on the ocean floor and the volcanoes that fringed its edges. Since these sediments were light, they crumpled into mountain ranges rather than sinking to the floor. The Indo-Australian plate continues to be driven horizontally below the Tibetan plateau, which forces the plateau to move upwards. The Arakan Yoma highlands in Myanmar and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal were also formed as a result of this collision.

The Indo-Australian plate is still moving at 67 mm/year, and over the next 10 million years it will travel about 1,500 km into Asia. About 20 mm/year of the India-Asia convergence is absorbed by thrusting along the Himalaya southern front. This leads to the Himalayas rising by about 5 mm/year, making them geologically active. The movement of the Indian plate into the Asian plate also makes this region seismically active, leading to earthquakes from time to time."
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #146 on: August 25, 2008, 03:13:46 pm »

I would like to know who this dhill person is.  Because it just so happens that the has copied all this work from R. Cedric Leonard's website  Quest for Atlantis.

Go back to page one of this thread.  Compare it to this quote from Leonard's web site:

THOTH

Scattered though they may be, an interesting picture emerges from the numerous references to Thoth in the earliest writings of the ancient Egyptians--and that picture fits the theory of an Atlantean origin for this intriguing character. Although late writings depict him as a god, the earliest texts depict him as a king (The Palermo Stone versus The Coffin Texts; Faulkner, 1974).

Thoth was born in a distant country to the west which was across a body of water. Its main city was by the sea (Plato's metropolis). The land possessed volcanos and the city had a low mountain or large hill in the center. This land is sometimes referred to as an Island of Fire. (Book of the Dead, Hymn of Rameses IV and Pyramid Texts) Thoth is known as "Lord of the horizon"; and like Poseidon, the earthshaker, Thoth is sometimes called "cleaver of the earth" (Papyrus of Ani, Chapter LXI).

In Chapter LXXXV of the Book of the Dead, Thoth rules the "Western Domain," and by the end of the New Kingdom he is called "Lord of the West" (Seth, 1912). He is said to be the inventor of writing, astronomy, mathematics and civilization in general (Budge, 1960). Thoth is often called the Scribe (Pyramid Texts; Book of the Dead, et al.); his Egyptian name, Tehuti, means "the measurer" (Budge, 1960).

A catastrophe occurred which darkened the sun and disturbed the gods, but Thoth led them across the sea to an eastern country [Egypt]. Thoth is depicted as the "controller of the Flood," (Leyden Papyrus) and the Theban Recension includes the Island of Fire in the Flood story. (Papyrus of Ani, Chap. CLXXV) Thoth thus appears to be ruler of an Island Kingdom in the West. The question therefore is: Was Thoth a migrant from Atlantis, and did he once rule there?

http://www.atlantisquest.com/Hiero.html

I have e-mailed Mr. Leonard to ask him if it was himself that was posting this.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 03:23:08 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #147 on: August 25, 2008, 04:12:10 pm »

QUOTE:

"I would like to know who this dhill person is.  Because it just so happens that the has copied all this work from R. Cedric Leonard's website  Quest for Atlantis."

'Dhill' is probably the most respected researcher here and at AR!!!

Most of his work is in ATLANTIS IN THE ATLANTIC OCEAN section.

Because of personal reasons he cannot be with us very often, unfortunately.
Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #148 on: August 25, 2008, 04:54:55 pm »

YUP I do, ( from 855 bc.)Seeing that the Tops are from the QUARTERNARY period the Million old age of this YOUNGEST Mountainrange must be a fallacy !

Blue Hue - surely you don't believe the Himilayas are only about 2600 years old?    The earth was well populated then, and I'm sure there would have been writings about such a catacylsmic event in all cultures of those times. 

"The Himalayas are among the youngest mountain ranges on the planet. According to the modern theory of plate tectonics, their formation is a result of a continental collision or orogeny along the convergent boundary between the Indo-Australian Plate and the Eurasian Plate. The collision began in the Upper Cretaceous period about ► 70 million years ago, when the north-moving Indo-Australian Plate, moving at about 15 cm/year, collided with the Eurasian Plate. By about 50 million years ago this fast moving Indo-Australian plate had completely closed the Tethys Ocean, whose existence has been determined by sedimentary rocks settled on the ocean floor and the volcanoes that fringed its edges. Since these sediments were light, they crumpled into mountain ranges rather than sinking to the floor. The Indo-Australian plate continues to be driven horizontally below the Tibetan plateau, which forces the plateau to move upwards. The Arakan Yoma highlands in Myanmar and the Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the Bay of Bengal were also formed as a result of this collision.

The Indo-Australian plate is still moving at 67 mm/year, and over the next 10 million years it will travel about 1,500 km into Asia. About 20 mm/year of the India-Asia convergence is absorbed by thrusting along the Himalaya southern front. This leads to the Himalayas rising by about 5 mm/year, making them geologically active. The movement of the Indian plate into the Asian plate also makes this region seismically active, leading to earthquakes from time to time."

Report Spam   Logged

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2008, 05:33:04 pm »

You asked me to put the question to Mr. Leonard regarding the translation for either "larger" or "between".

Here is his reply:

Your correspondant seems to think meson means "larger" and mesos means "in-between". These are simply two inflections of the same Greek word meaning "in the middle of" or "in-between"; but more seriously, Plato uses neither of them here. Mega means "large" (not meson) and Plato obviously used the comparative inflection of mega (i.e., "larger," which is meizon).
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: