Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 04:20:05 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean  (Read 35234 times)
Mark of Australia

« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2008, 11:24:14 pm »

!!

I'm impressed Blue , you managed to keep the post to one subject.

But as for that subscript.I don't see what you think is so special about it.. It reads like total gibberish to me.

As for the Horseshoe claim ,thank you for not beating around the bush ...It's just your interpretation of Plato ,not what he actually said.
Report Spam   Logged
Desiree
Superhero Member

« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2008, 01:55:29 pm »

Hi Dhill ,

This is some of the best posting about Atlantis I have ever seen. Especially since it's about 'scientific' evidence for Atlantis in the ATLANTIC.

I want to use this thread to comment on the 'Original Atlantis in the Atlantic' thread from AR.

In keeping with the theme of a large island in the Atlantic as suggested by the O'briens. I quote Desiree from the 'original' thread:

"The problem with this rationale, Jamie, is that you act that, just because something hasn't been found in the Atlantic yet, you act like it will never be found. Well, we don't know that. There are several different possibilities for Atlantis in the Atlantic as I listed above. One of the main criteria about Atlantis is that it "sunk," so obviously it's not still above water. If we look at this scientifically, it's pretty clear that a huge land mass can't sink, so we have to be looking for something smaller, an island or city perhaps and that's what sunk. There are many candidates in the Atlantic. "   Reply 455 http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,5655.450.html

I take issue with this comment because it does appear to contradict itself or be hypocritical..  Firstly Desiree basically says that you can't say Atlantis doesn't exist in the Atlantic just because it hasn't been found there yet.  I agree with that ,but then she says that a huge landmass can't sink.  Why can't a huge landmass sink ?  Just because we haven't found out it happens yet ??

I suggest that large landmasses can sink ,landmasses about the size of O'Briens Azorean-Atlantis.

I know that Desiree's response was to Jaime's theory that Atlantis is within the Mediterranean. So, while Desiree seriously considers an Atlantic Atlantis ,I feel that she is unnecessarily limiting herself to an Atlantis that doesn't match Plato's account ,since Plato spoke of a large island.

I wanna take this moment to say that Desiree is one of the best at this forum. Smiley

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the compliment! I think I should rephrase what I said earlier to Jaime, though.  First, I never said Atlantis didn't sink in the Atlantic, I said, just because there hasn't been any evidence found that it DID sink in the Atlantis doesn't mean it won't be found eventually.

As for whether a large land mass can sink, we not only have to look at the size that Plato makes Atlantis but the time frame it was supposed to have sunk in. There are examples of little islands sinking all the time in relatively short perods.  If we look at geological history, that is pretty acceptable to the scientific community (and any Atlantis theory has to, by definition, contain some credible science in it in order for it to be accepted).  But even though Plato calls Atlantis an "island," he makes it "larger than Libya and Asia combined." 

So either:

1.  He's talking about only the capital city sinking, which actually was an island.

2.  Atlantis itself wasn't really as big as Libya and Asia combined, but rather it's island empire was.

If we take Plato literally and imagine that the territory itself was the size of Libya and Asia combined, then we would be looking for something under the sea that, at minimum, would be the size of Australia or Greenland.  How could something that big sink as quickly as Plato says it did:  "in a single day and night."

That, to me, goes against the laws of physics! At least the ones we know of right now.

Of course, maybe the inference is that line from Plato only refers to the combatants in the war and Atlantis sunk more gradually (like Riven believes).  That is a problem, too, because most of the Atlantic is very deep and we would see more evidence of undeewater forests, former river systems (even underwater canals) like we see in the O'Brien's work in the Azores. 

That's why the Bahamas and Azores regions make the most sense to me.  You have evidence of sunken areas there already, and all that remains is to find some of the details that Plato talked about. 
Report Spam   Logged

This power came forth out of the Atlantic Ocean. But afterwards there occurred violent earthquakes and floods; and in a single day and night of misfortune all your warlike men in a body sank into the earth, and the island of Atlantis in like manner disappeared in the depths of the sea.
BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2008, 02:37:11 pm »

Dear  DESIREE,

Cry Please read my SUBSCRIPT it is not gibberish for true Atlantologists( it was a limmited-Space so it is Atlantis-in-Aden in a Nutshell.)

Atlantologists spelled " Atlantis" wrongly it is well, . . .  Look at the FOUR previous discussions that I had with your old Chum Mark-Ponta, but he did not answer my QUESTION: " WHAT was the GREEK original word,  by PLATO, of the - later- Latinized(= corrupted) Geo-word " ATLANTIDE/ ATLANTIS ? ? ?   Cry   dd 8.Jan. 2008
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 02:42:13 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #123 on: January 14, 2008, 08:37:40 am »

=Mark Ponta link=topic=651.msg54785#msg54785 date=1199004415]
Hi Dhill , This is some of the best posting about Atlantis I have ever seen. Especially since it's about 'scientific' evidence for Atlantis in the ATLANTIC.
I want to use this thread to comment on the 'Original Atlantis in the Atlantic' thread from AR.
Bahamas and Azores regions make the most sense to me.  You have evidence of sunken areas there already, and all that remains is to find some of the details that Plato talked about. 

Dear  DESIREE,

You have not commented nor replied on my nutshell Theory at the Bottom post in Blue,

Atlantis is a mistranscription from LATIN AT.    The original Geo-name would be THETA or THETYS-Sea & Land which are today both called" ADEN".   CONFUSION about the ATLAS- SEA  or Atlantic- OCEAN ? is because OCEANUS "  Married " the Thethys(= Sea.) which became PONTOS or Poseidon as issue, this is today the Gulf of Aden or " Mare- Erytraeum as Herodotus said.

At Melos HALL in Greece, 50 " Scientific" Lectures were delivered at the Atlantis Conference in 2005,  50 ' scientific' Atlantologists were LOOKING , here,  Elsewhere on the wrong name and thus were barking-up, the wrong Tree !:(  " BlueHue " Sad dd 14 Jan 2008
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 08:48:27 am by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

SciFiDiver

« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2008, 12:17:58 am »

About 3 years ago, while researching material for a novel, I stumbled across the "lost city of Cuba" articles and became fascinated with the subject. So fascinated, in fact, that I put the novel on hold and created a blog at http://www.TheMegaBlog.com. (MEGA is the name that was given to the ruins by Zelitsky and Weinzweig shortly after their discovery of the site)

Over time, the scope of my blog broadened to include the work of Greg and Lora Little and Bill Donato in the Bahamas. Bibliographies of their online articles are available for download from the blog, along with photos and maps.

I'm happy to say that the novel finally got finished and it makes extensive use of both the "lost city" and the Bahamas. In fact, my fictional characters take you on an ROV tour of the Cuban ruins and on a diving adventure off the coast of South Bimini. Triangle, the third and last book in my Seeds of Civilization series will be available in mid-March and is available for pre-order now at Barnes and Noble's online store.  Visit the Series' site at http://www.SeedsOfCivilization.com for information about the the first 2 books, which are also based on real archaeological mysteries.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:23:48 am by SciFiDiver » Report Spam   Logged

Regards,
R.J. Archer
Author of Tractrix, Tsubute & Triangle
The Seeds of Civilization Series
"Mystery/Adventure with a SciFi Twist"
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2008, 12:02:21 pm »

Atlantis in the Atlantic Ocean –

that is the favourite theory among many scientists all over the world. Just because Plato
mentioned an empire in the Atlantic Ocean? No! There is considerable circumstancial evi-
dence for a land bridge or a huge island in the Atlantic Ocean.

According to Plato’s report, Atlantis should be situated between Spain, North Africa and
Central America. This is exactly where the Canary Islands are – and the Atlantic Ridge,
one of the world’s most unstable regions. Moreover, this is also the location of the Azores
and, further westward, the Caribbean area with its huge and small islands.

Picture above:

In 1665, the German Jesuit priest Athanasius Kircher
created this inverted map of Atlantis.

Turning the map results in an image of the Central Atlantic
 plateau around the Azores. What is unusual about that is
that people at that time had only little knowledge about
the nature of the sea bed.

Were some ancient notes available to the Jesuit priests
enabling them to create such a map?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:06:31 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #126 on: February 27, 2008, 12:09:31 pm »

From time immemorial, the Atlantic Ridge, from Iceland to South America, has been
an area of considerable seismic activity. Volcanic eruptions and earthquakes are
nothing extraordinary.

The Atlantic Ocean – Catastrophes:

In 1669, a major part of the notorious pirate island Port Royal sank due to an disastrous
earthquake.

In 1775, Lisbon, which is on a parallel with the Azores at a latitude of 39 43'/36 55' N,
was badly hit by a devastating earthquake killing 60 000 people. Moreover, both the
harbour and the docks sank 200 metres to the ground.

In 1783, one fifth of the Icelandic population fell victim to a catastrophic earthquake.

In 1811, on the Azores, a volcanic island named “Sambrina“ rose some thousand metres
to the surface and sank again shortly after. The islands of Corvi and Flores constantly
change their shape and parts of them are swallowed up by the sea.

To the best of present knowledge there is an underwater area with deep valleys and
high mountains around the Azores and the Canary Islands. Reducing the sea level by
150 metres to the Ice Age level brings about a huge piece of land which, however,
does not match the dimensions Plato wrote about.

Nevertheless, further westward, in the Caribbean area, a huge land mass comes into
existence which perfectly meets Platos records.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #127 on: February 27, 2008, 12:11:56 pm »

The Atlantic Ocean – Facts:

In 1969, by order of Duke University, an expedition to the Aves Ridge in the Caribbean
Sea found granite on fifty locations. Usually, granite is found only onshore or where
once had been solid ground.

In 1898, 750 km north of the Azores, the transatlantic cable broke. On this occasion,
rock samples were taken from a depth of 17 000 fathoms. A close examination came
to the result that the rock samples consisted of tachylyte, a lava-like substance.
Yet this mineral would not emerge unless above sea level and under atmospheric
pressure.

Moreover, it will decompose after 15 000 years.

This means that once there had been mainland.

In a depth of up to 1 000 metres, coastal sand was found on the reefs of the Azores.
However, it usually only appears on flat beaches.

In 1936, the Geological Society of America conducted a study of sunken river canyons
in the Atlantic Ocean. It says that rivers on the European, the North African and the
American side sank into the continental sockets for up to 300 km in length and 2 km in
depth. That means that in the Pleistocene Age, that is when mankind emerged, the sea
level underwent a change in depth up to 2 000 metres.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #128 on: February 27, 2008, 12:12:58 pm »

The Atlantic Ridge – one of the world’s most notorious regions in terms of seismic activity.
Decreasing the sea level by 300 to 400 metres brings about a huge land mass that would
perfectly fit Plato’s descriptions. In “Critias“, Plato writes:

“(...)In the next place, they had fountains, one of cold and another of hot water, in
gracious plenty flowing; and they were wonderfully adapted for use by reason of the
pleasantness and excellence of their waters. They constructed buildings about them
and planted suitable trees, also they made cisterns, some open to the heavens, others
roofed over, to be used in winter as warm baths (...)“

Usually, these warm and cold springs manifest themselves within continental zones.
An example for this is Iceland where people use the warm springs to supply themselves
with heat and energy – just as Plato put it.

Yet the Würm Ice Age 12 000 years ago is not a suitable candidate to have reduced
the sea level along the Atlantic Ridge. Did, then, the catastrophe in the Atlantic Ocean
indeed happen? That desaster with its devastating earthquakes and inundations that
caused the mid-Atlantic Ridge to sink? Or is it all about an inundation of the Caribbean
area with its shallow waters? Also, the point in time when the glaciers melted would
perfectly meet the time of the disappearance of Atlantis as has been indicated by Plato.

Read the following excerpt from the Critias dialogue:

“(...)Let me begin by observing first of all, that nine thousand was the sum of years
which had elapsed since the war which was said to have taken place between those
who dwelt outside the pillars of Heracles and all who dwelt within them; this war I am
going to describe. (...)“
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:16:42 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #129 on: February 27, 2008, 12:18:12 pm »

A further mystery concerns the migrations of the European eels.

These animals spawn in the Sargasso Sea west of the United States of America.

The newborn eels start their three years long eastbound migration following the Gulf
Stream to the European rivers. Having reached sexual maturity they migrate back to
the Sargasso Sea within four months, however leaving the Azores to their left this time.
It has been proven that the eels need freshwater to reach maturity but why do they
venture on this long journey across the Atlantic Ocean?

Could it be that the eels have a genetic memory of a mainland with freshwater in the
Atlantic Ocean but cannot find it again because it sank? Is that why they keep on
migrating until they reach Europe?

Another phenomenon relates to the suicide of the Norwegian lemmings.

Every year when their homeland is running short of food, these little rodents start
migrating westwards. At the end of their migration they jump into the ocean and
continue swimming westwards until they drown. What is it these animals are after
in the ocean? Are they following a basic instinct driving them into the ocean? Are
they looking for a land that offered them plenty of food a long time ago?

Was this land Atlantis, located in the Atlantic Ocean according to Plato?

http://www.atlantia.de/atlantis_english/myth/atlantis/atlantis_atlantic.htm
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 12:22:44 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #130 on: April 03, 2008, 03:56:07 pm »

area of considerable seismic activity. Volcanic eruptions and earthquakes are
nothing extraordinary.
In 1669, a major part of the notorious pirate island Port Royal sank due to an disastrous
earthquake.

In 1775, Lisbon, which is on a parallel with the Azores. Moreover, both the
harbour and the docks sank 200 metres to the ground.

In 1811, on the Azores, a volcanic island named “Sambrina“ rose some thousand metres
to the surface and sank again shortly after. The islands of Corvi and Flores constantly
change their shape and parts of them are swallowed up by the sea.

there is an underwater area with deep valleys and
high mountains around the Azores and the Canary Islands. Reducing the sea level by
150 metres to the Ice Age level brings about a huge piece of land which,
however,
does not match the dimensions Plato wrote about.

Dear........ BIANCA,

Wasn't the collaps of Lissabon in 1754 instead of 1775 ? ?  Cry
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 04:00:41 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #131 on: April 03, 2008, 04:17:23 pm »

Blue,

According to wikepedia it was

1 7 5 5

The 1755 Lisbon earthquake, also known as the Great Lisbon Earthquake, took place on November 1, 1755 at 9:40 in the morning.

The earthquake was followed by a tsunami and fire, which caused near-total destruction of Lisbon and adjoining areas.

Geologists today estimate the Lisbon earthquake approached magnitude 9 on the Richter scale, with an epicenter in the Atlantic Ocean about 200 km (120 mi) west-southwest of Cape St. Vincent.

Estimates place the death toll between 60,000 to 100,000 people, making it one of the most destructive earthquakes in history.

Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #132 on: April 03, 2008, 04:55:18 pm »

1755, OFCOURSE,
 your  little  misquote of 1775 was just a " Pons Asinorum"

By the way those threedimentional Landscape Pictures of San Marino were wonderfull,
wonder if you could display some scenes still of Actor what's his name  as  Rupert of Montjoy

I think that all Earthquakes are caused by the Yearly conjunction of MARS & MOON
 pulling High Tides from the SUN's influence,
when theae two"planets" are at their closest range towards Earth
 their combined gravitational pull triggers Earth-Quakes & Tsunamies.

3.000 years ago Mars and Moon were in closer more elypsoide orbit arond Earth
 and their Conjunctions THEN must have been more devastating than today
Also because the carried Satelites in their wake.

Some of these were attracted by Earth and fell into the still watered South Arabian DESERT
the TWO Trabants or satelite rocks that Mars still carries with him
might have been the origin of the Myth of Romulus & Remus as having been suckled by a She Wolf

Cry  Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #133 on: April 03, 2008, 07:34:51 pm »

No, Blue, it was not a case of "pons asinorum".......

Believe it or not it took me re-reading it a couple of times before it registered as

1 7 5 5 -  I kept TRULY 'seeing' it as  1 7 7 5.......

This has never happened to me before.  My eyesight is great, since I had lens replacement
surgery about two years ago.  I can only put it down to STRESS.......we have had a few
sudden deaths in the family, the last one about a week ago.  I have been trying to work
through my grief, I guess, and I am not doing as well as I thought I could......

I am so glad you liked the San Marino thread.  I have been there, of course, it is located in
my home Province, Marche.  That's where I was born and raised, right by the Adriatic sea....

Down below is Rimini and nearby is the Castle of Gradara, where Paolo and Francesca, the lovers
of the "Divine Comedy", lived......It's a lovely castle, the ceilings were done by Raffaello's father.

The last time I went 'home' was in 1993.  It was probably my last time, as money is getting
tight and I don't foresee much improvement.  So I am really, truly enjoying the chance to re-
member doing my little 'travelogues'......

"........Some of these were attracted by Earth and fell into the still watered South Arabian
DESERT the TWO Trabants or satelite rocks that Mars still carries with him might have been
the origin of the Myth of Romulus & Remus as having been suckled by a She Wolf"

Could be, Blue.

Keep in mind that this miserable little bunch of men's huts on the Tiber had to come up with
some pretty good story to make its mark.  That's why the tale of the Vestal Virgin Rea Silvia
and the god Mars being the parents of Romulus and Rhemus. And Mars was the perfect god
to pick, when one considers all the peoples they would have to fight, starting with the Sabines.

Anyway, being the romantics we are, unless things have changed, that's what was taught in
schools (officially) when I was a little girl........

......wonder if you could display some scenes still of Actor what's his name  as  Rupert of Montjoy.....

Blue, what movie is that from, 'Henry V' with Laurence Olivier?  I wasn't aware it was made in San
Marino.  As far as I know only 'Prince of Foxes' with Tyrone Power and Orson Wells was made there.

Bianca

« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 07:55:29 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2008, 07:00:52 am »

Dear,....BIANCA,

You must be a Movie-Buff, no I just remembered it was PETER  USTINOFF,

by the way I too have now one lense implant, but it looks like looking through
soiled fatty spectacle glass at the end of the day when grease accumulates

on the spectacle surface or like un=polarized glass i see a white haze with
some sharp vision Fragments but with blurred total vision the rate is 40%
vision, but I cannot read with it nor walk a straight line. it was-19 before
 the operation, my other unoperated eye is -19 too, so ithe operation i8s imminent.

alas I seem to have an eye lens degeneration something with " adrolymmed " (= incorrect  word!)
or someting, I could not read it since I only could take a glance
on the Doctor's screen from a distance when he looked-up my
medical record !  So I now opt for a second opinion in case I
 have got lense degeneration in the other Eye to, someting must
 my thought of to circumvent the problem maybe have it cat away
 half inserted of whole ass in a CATHAR- Operation.

However what can be done about my present
FAILED Eye operation ? what can bwe don re-insert
 another Lens a better Lens? no can do  these lenzes
can only be replaced every 20 odd yers without eye
damage so I am stuck with it !

I had some troubles with new neighbours I' ll try I the
Housing Authority if,  they will let me move to a safer location

with my 2.000 Text studyBooks !

Thanks for your Attantive " Birthday whish ! I am 48 now. Cry   Cry   Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: