Atlantis Online
March 18, 2024, 10:29:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Search For Atlantis in Cuba - Finally, Some Answers!! - UPDATE

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Search For Atlantis in Cuba - Finally, Some Answers!! - UPDATE  (Read 12453 times)
Jennifer O'Dell
Superhero Member

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2008, 03:45:42 am »

It's really a shame that they never did any follow-up work off of Cuba. I have been hearing stories for years about how their is a sunken city around there, or ruins off the eastern coast, but they never seem to follow-up.

Oh, well, maybe a lot of those stories were spread by Castro's people to get more tourism.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2008, 08:02:00 pm »

.......What quickly became clear from my own investigations into Plato's Atlantis is that the Greek philosopher
had created in his writings a flawed utopian realm based on the decline of Athens' during his own age. The city
of Atlantis was unquestionably a composite view of ancient city-ports such as Carthage in North Africa, seen
here, Syracuse in Sicily, Ecbatana in Media and probably even Athens itself.

As regards his Atlantic Island, Plato placed this, like other mythical islands of the Greek Hellenic world, in the Far West - the direction of the setting sun. It was in fact a variation of the concept of the Hesperides, the islands thought which were thought to lie beyond the Western Ocean, as is inferred by their name Hesperides, which derives from the Greek hesper, or vesper, meaning setting sun. It was the hero-god Atlas who was said to have presided over the lands in the extreme west, i.e. North West Africa, as well as the seas beyond here, in other words the Western Ocean.

Like Atlantis, the Hesperides were rumoured to exist beyond the Pillars of Hercules. For instance, Statius Sebosus, the Roman geographer of c. 100 BC, recorded that it took 40 days to sail between the Isles of Gorgades, or Gorgons, and the Hesperides. Since there is clear geographical evidence that the Gorgades were the Cape Verde islands, which lie off the west coast of Africa, then the Hesperides were even further west - in the direction of the setting sun. Yet if we consult a map we can see that the only island group which lies west of the Cape Verdes is the Caribbean. Confirmation that the Hesperides were the Caribbean islands of Cuba, Hispaniola and Puerto Rica is the knowledge that it took Christopher Columbus just 33 days to sail between the Cape Verdes and the Caribbean on his Third Voyage in 1498, just seven days short of Statius Sebosus's estimate.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2008, 08:04:01 pm »

From my own research into the primary sources behind the Atlantis account it became clear that Plato too became aware of the existence of the Bahamas and Caribbean, most likely through stories and rumours reaching the Mediterranean world in which he moved. In my opinion it was from this sailor's lore that he derived the idea of Atlantean kings ruling over a series of Atlantic islands focused around a central metropolis. For me, all the indications are that the description Plato gives of his Atlantean island matches very well the topography of Cuba, the largest and most fertile of the Caribbean islands.

I also concluded that Plato's claim that Atlantis' destruction in one single night and day through earthquakes and floods was based on catastrophe legends told to Phoenician and Carthaginian mariners by the indigenous peoples of the Bahamas and Caribbean. They were retold to the first Spanish explorers to reach the islands, and speak of a catastrophic event involving a period of darkness, as well as an all-encompassing flood which engulfed a former great landmass, leaving behind the thousands of islands and cays which today make up these same archipelagos. In my opinion, these stories relate to a cosmic event which occurred at the end of the last ice age and involved the creation of 500,000 elliptical craters in the eastern states of the United States. These are the so-called Carolina Bays, which are found across six states and range in size from a few hundred metres to 11 kilometres in length. The latest theories regarding their formation feature the fragmentation of a comet into literally millions of pieces which impacted a wide area, including a large part of the Atlantic Ocean off the United States, sometime between 8500 and 9000 BC. Such an event would have caused super-tsunami waves that would have engulfed the low-lying regions of the Bahamas and Caribbean killing everything in their path.

Moreover, according to Italian academic Emilio Spedicato of Bergamo University, who is with us here today, this impact event on the western Atlantic seaboard most probably catalysed the retreat of the ice sheets which had covered North America and Europe for anything up to 40,000 years. With the disappearance of the ice, the rising meltwater would have drowned the same low lying regions, now on a more permanent basis.

This was the memory preserved by the indigenous peoples of the Bahamas and Caribbean and retold to ancient mariners prior to Plato's age.
Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2008, 08:06:10 pm »

No other theory fitted all the evidence. Yet the response to the publication of my book GATEWAY TO ATLANTIS was a complete eye opener, for it seemed that even after presenting this evidence for the first time a large percentage of the readers refused to even consider this solution.

Since there was such a great desire to believe in Atlantis as a super continent that produced a mother civilisation of immense sophistication there was great opposition to my views. This is despite the fact that the Caribbean had been proposed as the site of Atlantis as early as 1796 by the Guatemalan scholar Dr Felix Cabrera, and had been popular though out the nineteenth century.

Indeed, it was the most popular location of Atlantis through until the publication in 1882 of American congressman Ignatius Donnelly's classic work ATLANTIS: THE ANTEDILUVIAN WORLD, which first popularised the idea that Atlantis covered a larger part of the North Atlantic Ocean and was destroyed utterly by earthquakes and floods in 9500 BC, a view unsubstantiated in either archaeology or marine geology.

It was against a backdrop of such ideas that Edgar Cayce, with the help of Russian born occultist Helena Petrova Blavatsky, French phililogist the Abbe Brasseur de Bourbourg and the Scottish mythologist Lewis Spence, conceived of an Atlantis that stretched from the Bahamas to the African coast, a sheer impossibilty in geological terms.

Yet the Atlantis of individuals such as Madame Blavatksy, Brasseur de Bourbourg, Spence, Cayce and others of the late-nineteenth, early twentieth century was never based on a literal translation of Plato's Atlantis account. Indeed, it has very little factual reality whatsoever, having been born out of both Platonic misconceptions and fanciful elaborations, such as the view that Atlantis achieved advanced technology which included death rays and the creation of animal-human hybrids. Such fantasies originate in the deep dark recesses of the modern mind, and not those of Plato or any other writer of antiquity.

http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/conference/Qc00/speakers/speaker_collins2.html
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 08:10:21 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #49 on: July 21, 2009, 05:07:56 pm »

FINALLY, I FOUND SOME ANSWERS TO WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS DISCOVERY:

Like many of you, I have often asked what happened?  Nobody seems to know.

Well, I blame myself for not reading Andrew Collins' blog more often.  Here is what I found in his
September 2008 Newsletter:

Was Cuba Atlantis's flagship?

NEWSLETTER FROM ANDREW COLLINS
Vol. 11, NO. 4
Sept., 2008

I regularly receive emails asking what happened regarding the apparent discovery by a Canadian salvage company of alleged archaeological structures in the deep sea off the west coast of Cuba back in 2001. There was a lot of publicity concerning these finds at the time, then the whole thing simply went dead.

Back then I had just written a book entitled GATEWAY TO ATLANTIS (2000), which proposes that Cuba was the flagship of Plato's Atlantis (see more by clicking here). I also predicted that important underwater remains awaited discovery off the island's west coast. Now those discoveries had seemingly been made, so I was patted on the back by my contemporaries. I wrote articles on the subject, appeared on various radio stations, and was even invited to lecture at the last ever conference organised by the late Thor Hyerdahl in the Canary Islands, which took place in June 2001 (Regrettably,
I was unable to attend as I was already lecturing in Vienna that same weekend).

I was as excited as everyone about what had been found off Cuba by Russian-born salver Paulina Zelitsky and her Canadian partner Paul Weinsweig, who traded under the name ADC Communcations. I was involved in the whole affair from the offset, interviewing Weinzweig at length on the telephone, and speaking to them both on a regular basis. I was also involved in setting up a publishing deal for exclusive world rights on the story with publishers Randon House. So here is one email I received recently asking what went on, and whether or not there was a conspiracy to hush the matter up:

"We're trying to find out why there is no more news on the sunken ruins found near Western Cuba since 2004. No one has proven that the stones are either natural or man made. We're beginning to believe there is a conspiracy to make this find go away.

"I remember a while back you posted a comment on your website in which you said you witnessed actual data from Paulina Zelitsky from ADC. You said you had to be careful about what you said and not to disclose anything they said was forbidden. Did you see anything suspicious that would warrant a conspiracy? Is there anything that you can say that won't break your promise? Can you contact Paulina Zelitsky to confirm why the public has not heard from them?"

And my reply: "There is no conspiracy, simply human necessities. Paulina Zelitsky and Paul Weinzweig held out as long as possible for the best possible deal on world rights to release pictures and video footage of what had been found. I know, I was involved with the deal from Random House, and was to have ghost written the accompanying book, which would have been accredited to them (I was chosen since the agent working on the project was working with me also, and I had just released GATEWAY TO ATLANTIS, which pinpointed Cuba as the site of the main island of Atlantis).

"The money on offer was seven figures in pounds sterling (based on a sliding scale of what had been discovered), but Paulina Zelitsky and Paul Weinzweig refused the offer, wanting even more to fund their future expeditions. They hoped that NatGeo would top the offer. However, when finally the pair released video footage of what they had found it was deemed both of poor quality and not what was hoped, and since Zelitsky and Weinzweig had run out of money, a stalemate ensued. No further footage could be got, so the Random House offer (which they could have taken) was withdrawn. I have no idea what offer NatGeo made, but I suspect it was afterwards withdrawn also.

"Zelitsky and Weinzweig had to go back to what they know best - treasure hunting and vessel salvage, and no one has heard from them since. They have simply vanished off the map. Story ends.

"This said, I firmly believe that prehistoric archaeology does await discovery off Cuba, and hopefully within the next year I will take part in a major expedition to identify suspected structures off both the north and south coasts of the island.

"Cuba is by far the best candidate for Atlantis's flag ship, and one day hopefully we will be in a position to prove that."

"What exactly Zelitsky and Weinzweig discovered remains a mystery. Whether artificial structures, ballast from Russian submarines or natural features, we might never know. All theories are possible."
Report Spam   Logged

Byron
Superhero Member

« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2009, 10:16:41 pm »

Or  it could just be dumped concrete from when the Cubans were dismantling their missiles after the Cuban Missile Crisis!   Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Win One for the Lion

Healthcare is a Right, Not a Privilige
Bob137

« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2011, 06:47:47 pm »

Bianca, thank you for all this information, I too have been looking for more information on the Cuba findings, and have found none for years. What little I did find years ago, was pictures of poor quality, but I have checked google earth, and I too found structures not only around the southern part off the coast of Cuba, but also around the Carribean islands. So it seems as though there is a lot more to be discovered in these areas. Again, Thanks for all the info!
Report Spam   Logged

Attitude is everything.
In the Mouth of Madness
Superhero Member

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2011, 07:40:33 pm »

This thread here has more information on the underwater city found in the Caribbean, with the best pictures I've seen of it:

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,23057.0.html
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: