Atlantis Online
October 22, 2020, 07:42:15 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean  (Read 22104 times)
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2008, 09:38:42 pm »

Equally misleading statements are made, such as the following: "No scientist believes that the sea level rose by anything like five thousand feet [roughly one mile], although much smaller changes are known to have occurred during the Ice Ages." (ibid.) No Atlantologist to my knowledge has suggested a rise in sea level of this magnitude; but sea-floor upheaval and subsidence is a totally different matter, as will be seen in the data given below--all from scientific sources.

The center of the geological story of Atlantis is the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. Other related aspects are confined to the ocean bottom in the vicinity of the Ridge; therefore these areas, including the Azore Plateau, will be the focal points of this study. I've noticed that the Azore (also called the Dolphin) Plateau is all but invisible in most maps of the Atlantic Ocean floor. However, I did locate one beautiful color-coded bathymetric chart which conveys a reasonably clear idea of its location and extent. (Click for bathymetric chart)

Since I am not an oceanographer, I will rely on the special reports and scientific papers of oceanographers and geologists who have done work in these areas in the past. The data presented below include those supplied by two giants in the field of oceanography, Drs. Bruce Heezen and Maurice Ewing, both of the prestigious Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory at New York's Columbia University, as well as those of other well-known marine research institutions.

Don't let anyone tell you that the discovery of Plate Tectonics (involving "continental drift") disproves Atlantis in any way. I've heard professionals in the field make statements like, "This doesn't leave any room for Atlantis!", or "the Mid-Atlantic Ridge is made of basaltic material, it can't be part of a continent!" We will let you decide after you have looked at the evidence presented.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: