Atlantis Online
May 27, 2020, 10:40:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean  (Read 21673 times)
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2008, 09:28:23 pm »

Tiahuanaco near Lake Titicaca

The city of Tiahuanaco near Lake Titicaca in Peru is sometimes named as a possible site of Atlantis, in spite of the fact that nearly everything in the city is not round but square, even the eyes of the statues! In alternative circles Tiahuanaco is best known because of the writings of Arthur Posnansky, which Hancock heavily relies on. Posnansky died in 1948; after that, C-14 datings have proven (according to the BBC) that the first settlement on the site originated only 3500 years ago and that the first monuments were built only 2000 years ago. That is much to late for Atlantis, even if a city so far from Europe and so high above sea level could possibly be Atlantis. Hancock protests that C-14 dating can only be used on carbon and not on stones.

Recently a city was discovered on the bottom of Lake Titicaca, 15 m deep, probably built by the Tiahuanaco people. The level of the lake must have risen considerably since then; apparently the climate has changed. The leader of the expedition is the Italian archaeologist Lorenzo Epis. Other people have explored the lake before, e.g. Jacques Cousteau in 1976. So there is indeed a sunken city there. But I don't think it can be Atlantis.

It is a pity that Hancock rarely pays any attention to things that are certainly many thousands of years old according to orthodox archaeology (see above). Sometimes it seems as if he is only interested in beautiful pictures and places with a high Erich von Däniken content, like Easter Island and the pyramids. Those are always popular with the general public! Although I was interested at first, I became more and more disappointed watching Hancock's series and Horizon gave my interest the final blow. His theory about the Ark of the Covenant seems more interesting to me.

This does not mean that there are no mysteries left. For instance, traces of heroin and nicotin have been found in Egyptian mummies, although coca and tobacco used to grow only in America. Nobody has found a good explanation for this strange fact. Also, it seems that prehistoric symbols have been found in California which are similar to symbols found on the British Isles.

Recently I saw a film on the National Geographic Channel about the mysterious 'red paint people'. This turned out to be an ancient people that built megalithic graves near the sea on the Atlantic coasts of North America, especially Labrador. The graves contained red paint. Harpoons were also known. The culture is called 'Maritime Archaic'. It was obviously some seafaring people that lived 7500 years ago. On the Atlantic coasts of Europe similar monuments from the same period have been found. If it was a seafaring people, than can't there have been contacts across the Atlantic Ocean after all? After 4000 years the 'red paint people' disappeared without a trace.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: