Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 03:35:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ATLANTIS & the Atlantic Ocean  (Read 35230 times)
dhill757
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #195 on: December 27, 2008, 09:23:58 pm »

The stones of Carnac

The famous stones of Carnac in France must be the remains of an important centre of the same culture to which Stonehenge belonged. In the Bay of Morbihan near Carnac there are two stone circles of which one is completely, the other partially under water. Apparently the land here was also flooded by the sea. Carnac is especially famous for the long rows of stones which run towards the sea, parallel to each other. Nobody knows for what purpose they were built.

In a Belgian book about Atlantis which at first sight contained only nonsense I found an interesting suggestion: that the rows of stones served for the storage of ships. It seems that such row exist elsewhere and are always located near water. Perhaps walls of mud or small stones were built between the big stones. I think there must have been walls between the so-called trilithons in Stonehenge too, so that the light entered only through the narrow gaps between the stones. I also think there must have been a roof on top.

The theory of Peter James

One of the more recent theories is the one of the historian and archaeologist Peter James, who will be mentioned on another page in connection with the 'Dark Age'. In his book The Sunken Kingdom, The Atlantis Mystery Solved he claims that Atlantis was a city on the south coast of Turkey that was devastated by an earthquake and submerged beneath a lake. The city was called Tantalis after king Tantalos, who was similar to Atlas. It is a clever theory, but it has drawbacks: a) not on an island, b) not outside the Pillars of Hercules, c) too close to Greece (James raises this objection against the Santorini theory) and d) not a round city (?). I stick to my own theory. James's Atlantis theory is also mentioned on another page in connection with the Trojan War.

Noah's flood and the Black Sea

On the bottom of the Black Sea, north of Sinop, remains of a city that was drowned about 7500 years ago have been found by Robert Ballard, who discovered the wreck of the Titanic in 1985. These remains have not been associated with Atlantis - although that would be possible - but with the Flood. According to a theory of Bill Ryan and Walter Pitman the real Flood was the filling of the Black Sea, which used to be a small lake, around 5500 BC. Well-preserved pieces of wood have been found. They had not rotted away, because the water here contains very little oxygen and much sulphur hydrate, so that organic life is impossible. That Noah's Ark will be found is extremely unlikely, if only because Noah would have sailed to dry land and the Ark would have rotted away on the shore.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: