Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:16:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Edwards Excels in Ferocious Democratic Debate

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Edwards Excels in Ferocious Democratic Debate  (Read 57 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: January 22, 2008, 07:00:10 am »

Edwards Excels in Ferocious Democratic Debate

Ari Melber
Mon Jan 21, 2008

Maybe Nevada was a turning point in the Democratic presidential race, because Monday's CNN debate started tough and got unusually ugly in a hurry.

Barack Obama continued to challenge both Clintons for pushing a series of assertions that were "not factually accurate," teeing off controversial comments that the former President made about the Nevada Caucus. Accused of inaccuracy, Sen. Clinton hit back with inaccuracy, claiming that Obama said he "really liked" President Reagan's ideas. In fact, Obama actually said Reagan helped establish the GOP as "the party of ideas," which Obama was quick to stress in a rebuttal. Then he applied the
Stoller Maxim -- use your rivals' lies to reveal their character -- to argue that Clinton's conduct raises questions about whether she can earn the public trust and be an effective advocate for change. "Truthfulness during campaigns matters," he thundered for emphasis.

Clinton was more Rovian in her attacks, as she tried to pin Obama with her own foibles. Assailing his "present" votes in the Illinois Senate, Clinton chided Obama: "It is very difficult having a straight up debate with you because you never take responsibility!" The accusation drew boos from the crowd. (The Times reported that Clinton's line caused "huge boos from the audience for the first time.") Yet while Clinton and Obama exchanged their personal barbs, John Edwards broke through with the best arguments of the night.

Edwards tweaked both his opponents for making the debate about political squabbling instead of public policy. Returning to his populist economic platform -- especially salient as Americans ponder a recession -- he reminded voters that he was the only candidate to outline a comprehensive plan to end poverty, and the first to introduce a national economic stimulus proposal. His plan came out weeks before Clinton and Obama. The program drove the "party's policy agenda," as Paul Krugman explained, by advocating "aid to unemployed workers, aid to cash-strapped state and local governments," and alternative energy, (most of which Clinton later adopted in her plan). And while the debate moderators kept pushing trite racial questions, even asking Obama if Bill Clinton was the "first black president," Edwards outlined a vision of racial and economic equality, where "every American is of equal value."

This post first appeared at The Nation.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Garrell Hughes
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:19:02 am »

Great debate!  The best of the bunch.
Report Spam   Logged
Vanguard of Truth
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:11:30 pm »

I don't think Edwards won the debate, I thought he should have just stayed out of the way and let Barack and Hillary have it out. Has anyone seen his voting record?  Sure, he's all for the underclass and against the war in Iraq now, but where was he in the Senate?

He voted for the Bankruptcy Bill and the war in Iraq!!!  

Hillary did, too, both were shameless in their pandering to their constituents now.

Report Spam   Logged
Vanguard of Truth
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 11:18:30 pm »

Barack didn't do well answering his "present" votes, but I doubt many people care or even understand much about them.

And as for Hillary -

Clinton was more Rovian in her attacks, as she tried to pin Obama with her own foibles. Assailing his "present" votes in the Illinois Senate, Clinton chided Obama: "It is very difficult having a straight up debate with you because you never take responsibility!" The accusation drew boos from the crowd. (The Times reported that Clinton's line caused "huge boos from the audience for the first time.") Yet while Clinton and Obama exchanged their personal barbs, John Edwards broke through with the best arguments of the night.

In my opinion, she came across as stern, matronly and deceitful, also as a person who will say or do anything to win.

Gone were the attempts to show humanity - there was no laughing, no humor, no sense of understanding.  We got in the place of other that other person, a cold, hard, cynical person who probably even turned off some of her own supporters.  Oh, I have no doubt that the diehard Clinton people stand behind everything she said, but I have a hard time believing she did much to appeal to undecideds or independents - and no one will be able to become President without appealing to them.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 04:03:44 pm »

He is a CFR member as well as a puppet for the NWO.
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2008, 05:59:10 am »

I think this long-running campaign works to Obama's advantage because it gives people a chance to get to know him and see how he handles himself.  So far I like what I see.

In contrast, I have been very disappointed by the Clintons, whom I voted for twice.  They sound so sour and negative.  I suppose they felt like they "owned" the black vote, and then Obama showed up.  It's really sad because the Democrats should be working together to win the White House.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: