Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:09:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Fox Sisters and the Spiritualism Movement

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Fox Sisters and the Spiritualism Movement  (Read 2814 times)
Sandra
Superhero Member

« on: October 14, 2009, 01:00:04 am »

She also notes:

"A great many people when they hear the rapping imagine at once that the spirits are touching them. It is a very common delusion. Some very wealthy people came to see me some years ago when I lived in Forty-second Street and I did some rappings for them. I made the spirit rap on the chair and one of the ladies cried out: "I feel the spirit tapping me on the shoulder." Of course that was pure imagination."[22]

The cracking of joints was the theory skeptics most favored to explain the rappings, a theory dating back to 1851.[23] Spiritualists familiar with the wide range of raps produced by the sisters, as well as the fact that raps could emanate from any part of a room, were not much impressed by the fact that raps could emanate from Margaret's toe. Much more damaging was the realization that Margaret could produce raps at will, when the raps were supposedly produced by spirits. But Spiritualists such as Arthur Conan Doyle were soon able to accept that, up to a point, the medium's own will could influence the preternatural phenomena of the séance.[24]
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: