Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 12:43:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Who wants to create a Superheroine? I DO! I DO!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who wants to create a Superheroine? I DO! I DO!  (Read 773 times)
cleasterwood

« on: January 16, 2008, 08:05:36 am »

Hi all!
I don't know how many of you read comics, but I'm entering the "Who wants to create a Superheroine" contest sponsored by Shadowline/Image Comics.  See here: http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=140485

If I make it to Round 2, I'll will announce it here & let you know where to go vote on the entries.  I can't tell you which one belongs to me, but I'm betting you'll be able to figure it out.  (No it's not Egyptian.)

Wish me luck & be sure to vote on your favorite entry.

Brightest blessings,
Lynn
Report Spam   Logged

Ra's Warrior & the Talismans of Time!  http://www.talismansoftime.com

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 01:12:25 pm »

Thx for letting us know.  Is there a deadline for it?
Report Spam   Logged

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin
cleasterwood

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 02:00:20 pm »

Yes, but it's fast approaching.   Sorry I didn't think of posting this sooner.    Embarrassed  Jan 31st is the deadline for submission of a 1 paragraph synopsis. 
Report Spam   Logged

April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:56:12 pm »

Well, maybe some of us can still whip something up.
Thanks for letting us know and good luck with yours!
Report Spam   Logged

unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 04:50:32 pm »

Good Luck Cleasterwood
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 04:58:55 pm »

Cool !!!!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
cleasterwood

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2008, 10:25:32 am »

My pitch has arrived at the editors desk!  Now, I'm nervous.

Thanks for the luck.  Just so it's known, if the pitch doesn't make the top 5, I will be changing the villain & creating a new series, which with more luck will get picked up by Shadowline/Image.
Report Spam   Logged

Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2008, 12:41:00 pm »

I put a submission in there too.  I wish you luck.
Report Spam   Logged
April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 01:27:51 pm »

So they're going to create a new series based on the top character or will it be more than one?

I hope you can retain the rights to it, I have heard all sorts of horror stories about writers getting gyped out of money after the character takes off.
Report Spam   Logged

April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 01:28:12 pm »

What is your character about, Volitzer?
Report Spam   Logged

cleasterwood

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2008, 05:13:59 am »

I guess I should have posted the most important rule of the competition.  You will be disqualified if you tell anyone what your pitch is about and Kris finds out about it.

Here is a link to the Ultimate FAQ for the contest.  READ IT CAREFULLY. 
http://www.scrypticstudios.com/columns/running_up_that_hill/the_shadowline_who_wants_to_create_a_super-heroine_contest_ultimate_faq.html

April,
It's a 3 issue 22 pages per issue one shot deal!  IF and only IF the 3 issues are a success will the publisher continue the series.  Creator retains all the rights to the character and story, but Franchesco! retains the rights to the artwork.  All profits are split on the backend: 50% to writer & 50% to artist.  Image Comics is a well known publisher.  You will not get screwed by them.  I've been chatting with Kris, Editor-in-Chief for almost 2 weeks now and I can tell you, they are a good group of people over at Shadowline/Image. 
The winner is the one whose story gets published.  The public will vote on the Top 5 to pick the winner.  That's why you can't tell anyone which submission belongs to you.  They will take on those who have made it into the top5, if they retain a professional artist to draw the entry, & submit through regular channels.

Good luck to both you & Volitzer!  It's some stiff competition as it's not limited to amateurs. 

Lynn
Report Spam   Logged

April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 06:35:42 pm »

Very detailed instructions!  Interesting that they are trying to appeal more to writers, instead of artists.
Report Spam   Logged

cleasterwood

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2008, 05:23:28 am »

April,
It's about time someone catered to writers of comics.  Every other contest is for artists; rarely do you see something like this come along.  It's a terrific opportunity & Franchesco! is an amazing artist.  It all started because Bomb Queen (she rocks) needed a Superheroine counterpart.  I love it and have used said "villainess" in my pitch.
Lynn
Report Spam   Logged

April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2008, 01:34:24 pm »

Yes, writers of comics are long under-appreciated!  Since there are no drawings required, how does that work?  Does the writer just come up with a description of the character and the artist draws it up for them?
Report Spam   Logged

April Kincaid
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2008, 01:35:13 pm »

Round One:
Contestants e-mail a BRIEF one paragraph story synopsis by January 31, 2008 to: superheroinecontest@gmail.com. Stories/concept must be original with original characters. No pre-existing characters may be used unless owned by contestant.

Round Two:
Ten semi-finalists will be chosen from all entries received by the above date and notified by e-mail. They will then be required to turn in 5 (five) fully scripted pages by February 29, 2008.

Round Three:
The five finalists will be announced and their synopses published on March 10. Readers will be encouraged to vote on their favorite.* (Writers are strongly advised to direct traffic to the contest via message boards, myspace, etc…every vote counts!) Polls will close on April 4, 2008.

The winner will be announced April 28 with initial concept art/character design by Franchesco. First issue will be solicited with a cover date of November, 2008.

* This contest is run by Shadowline. Newsarama in no way influences the outcome.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: