Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:02:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 'Europe's oldest city' found in Cadiz
http://mathaba.net/rss/?x=566660

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Huck Goes All In ("..... amend the Constitution so it's in God's Standards.....)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Huck Goes All In ("..... amend the Constitution so it's in God's Standards.....)  (Read 82 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: January 16, 2008, 07:20:46 am »

Huck Goes All In

by digby

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan

audience on Monday. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to

change the word of the Living God. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's

in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary

view."

Via LGM

Raw Story reports:

When Willie Geist reported Huckabee's opinion on MSNBC's Morning Joe, co-host Mika Brzezinski was almost speechless, and even Joe Scarborough couldn't immediately find much to say beyond calling it "interesting,"

Scarborough finally suggested that while he believes "evangelicals should be able to talk politics ... some might find that statement very troubling, that we're going to change the Constitution to be in line with the Bible. And that's all I'm going to say."

Geist further noted of Huckabee that if "someone without his charm," said that, "he'd be dismissed as a crackpot, but he's Mike Huckabee and he's basically the front-runner."

I don't know if I agree with that. The president of the United States interrupted his vacation (something he wouldn't do even when faced with a terrorist threat) to sign legislation to keep one brain damaged woman alive against her will in a naked pander to the religious right. This stuff is SOP to Republicans. They agree with it.

digby 1/15/2008 03:51:00 PM

http://digbysblog.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:06:43 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Blood on the Mors
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:39:58 pm »

This is the way that fascism and theocracy begins in America - not with a Hitlerlike character, but through a smiling boob that the press will give a pass to because they think he's a likable guy. 
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 06:03:04 pm »

TO: Mike Huckabee

FROM: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Benjamin Franklin, Patrick Henry, et al. collectively known as the Founding Fathers

RE: The United States Constitution

Text from Article V (concerning Amendments)

THE CONGRESS, WHENEVER TWO-THIRD OF BOTH HOUSES SHALL DEEM IT NECESSARY, SHALL PROPOSE AMENDMENTS TO THIS CONSTITUTION, OR, ON THE APPLICATION OF THE LEGISLATURES OF TWO-THIRDS OF THE SEVERAL STATES, SHALL CALL A CONVENTION FOR PROPOSING AMENDMENTS, WHICH, IN EITHER CASE, SHALL BE VALID TO ALL INTENTS AND PURPOSES, AS PART OF THIS CONSTITUTION, WHEN RATIFIED BY THE LEGISLATURES OF THREE-FOURTHS OF THE SEVERAL STATES, OR BY CONVENTIONS IN THREE-FOURTHS THEREOF, AS THE ONE OR THE OTHER MODE OF RATIFICATION MAY BE PROPOSED BY THE CONGRESS.

(Get it, Huck?  Amending the Constitution is NOT your prerogative. That prerogative belongs to Congress.)

Text from the First Amendment:

CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW RESPECTING AN ESTABLISHMENT OF RELIGION

Text from Article 2, Section 1 -- the Presidential Oath of Office:

I DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR (OR AFFIRM) THAT I WILL FAITHFULLY EXECUTE THE OFFICE OF PRESIDENT OF

THE UNITED STATES, AND WILL TO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY, PRESERVE, PROTECT, AND DEFEND THE

CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 06:07:34 pm by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2008, 06:45:04 am »

Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2008, 08:41:46 am »

So Many Republican Hypocrites, So Little Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January 18, 2008

Mike Huckabee

Welcome back to the BuzzFlash GOP Hypocrite of the Week.

Just how hypocritical is the engaging, "authentic" Mike Huckabee? Oh, let us count the ways.

Today, we'll just focus on one: the faith issue.

On Huckabee's campaign Web site, he has an "issues" section on "faith and politics," in which he appears to make a claim for a tolerance of all faiths under the Constitution:

The First Amendment requires that expressions of faith be neither prohibited nor preferred. We should not banish religion from the public square, but should guarantee access to all voices and views. We should share and debate our faith, but never seek to impose it. When discussing faith and politics, we should honor the "candid" in candidate -- I have much more respect for an honest atheist than a disingenuous believer.
Take special note of the sentence: "We should share and debate our faith, but never seek to impose it."

Well, just before the Michigan primary, Huckabee told supporters:

"[Some of my opponents] do not want to change the Constitution, but I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God, and that's what we need to do is to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards"
Maybe we're just a tad cynical, but that pledge to change the Constitution according to what Mike Huckabee perceives to be "God's standards" -- which are not the same "standards" as viewed by Americans of our other Christian denominations and faiths -- well, that seems like a whole lot of imposing one denominational faith as seen through the eyes of one man on the entire nation.

We venture to say that Mike Huckabee is being -- despite his likable personality as a holy man/populist -- hypocritical, to say the least, when it comes the issue of "imposing" his faith on us.

As far as we are concerned at BuzzFlash, Huckabee -- who counts the loathsome Dick Morris as a key behind-the-scenes advisor -- might be a guy we would like comforting us when we are ill, but we certainly don't want him jamming fundamentalist Baptist Gospel down our throats with a smile.

Can a man who claims that he is a vessel of God and Christ be a hypocrite? You bet, just take a look at Mike -- and that is why he merits being chosen as the BuzzFlash GOP Hypocrite of the Week.

Remember our motto: So many Republican hypocrites, so little time.

Catch up with you soon.

This is the second HOTW Award for Mike Huckabee. He also won the award on December 7, 2007.

http://gophypocrites.com/2008/01/hyp08003.html
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 08:42:38 am by Bianca » Report Spam   Logged

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 10:23:56 am »

Huckabee Laments Loss, Looks to Future Primaries

Eric Thayer
NPR
January 20, 2008

Republican presidential hopeful and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee speaks at a post-primary campaign rally at Columbia Metropolitan Convention Center Saturday in Columbia, S.C.

Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee says he thought he would win Saturday's GOP primary in South Carolina, but his narrow loss to Arizona Sen. John McCain doesn't mean he is out of the picture.

The former Arkansas governor finished with 30 percent of the vote, behind McCain's 33 percent.

"We're disappointed," Huckabee tells Andrea Seabrook. "The fact is, Fred Thompson, in the race, didn't even get close to us, but he took just enough away from us that probably kept us from the margin. And that, plus the fact that it snowed in Greenville and Spartanburg, where we had a lot of our votes, didn't help us. But it is what it is. You know, we were very tight near the top."

Huckabee says he might benefit if Thompson, the former senator from Tennessee, decides to drop out of the race.

"I think those votes aren't monolithic to go anywhere, but a lot of the votes that I believe he took from us in South Carolina would have definitely been ours," he says. "It appeared [Saturday night] that Fred was in essence bowing out, but he hasn't made that announcement official. Although both in Iowa — where he said he was in there for a do or die, and he died but he stayed in — and then he said South Carolina was do or die and he died. And I have to assume at some point that, you know, he really does have to consider it not going somewhere."

Huckabee says his proposal to replace the current tax system with a national sales tax — called the "fair tax" — is gaining traction with voters.

"I think a lot of our appeal comes from my talking about abolishing of the IRS — the fact that we would completely transform our tax system," he says. "People see the economy in trouble; they know that America is in a big problem right now. And it needs a big idea to fix it, not little piddling ideas that many of the candidates are putting forward."

As he turns his focus to the Florida primary later this month and the Super Tuesday primaries of Feb. 5, Huckabee says he's not worried about competing against candidates with more money.

"I think when people look at how much money some of these candidates have spent to get so little for it, that's the story. It's not, gosh, how have we gotten here; it's how have they not gotten further?" he says. "Is their message so weak that they've spent that kind of money, and for it, they really have not garnered a level of support commensurate with the funds having been spent."
Report Spam   Logged

Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 07:32:50 pm »

Shocked Shocked The Fundie-crats are coming... the Fundie-crats are coming...
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: