Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 08:19:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Medieval artefact rescued by amateur historian

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medieval artefact rescued by amateur historian  (Read 64 times)
Golethia Pennington

« on: January 14, 2008, 04:47:15 pm »

Medieval artefact rescued by amateur historian

By Brian McDonald
Monday January 14 2008

A "hugely important'' medieval artefact was within minutes of being accidentally dumped before it was retrieved from builders' rubble.

The stone carved bishop's head -- believed to date from the 15th century -- was rescued by amateur historian Seamus Lynch from the rear of a premises being renovated in Athenry, Co Galway.

The head -- thought to have been used to adorn a nearby Dominican Abbey -- had lain undiscovered, set into a wall behind an old sweet shop in Athenry.

But Mr Lynch finally managed to track it down and ascertain its whereabouts over Christmas. Before he had an opportunity to rescue it, fate intervened.

"I was on my way last week to the post office when I saw the wall had been knocked as part of renovations. The man operating the JCB was horrified when I told him about the head.

"With a couple of workmen we got down on our hands and knees and sifted through the very last mound of rubble and found it," said Seamus.

Already there is huge excitement in the area about the find and a "probable'' date of the 15th century has been put on it by a local archaeologist.

Said Seamus: "It was literally within minutes of being lost forever and we are very lucky to have it. We want to retain it here in Athenry."

- Brian McDonald

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/medieval-artefact-rescued-by-amateur-historian-1265557.html
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: