Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 11:42:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ancient Crash, Epic Wave
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/14/healthscience/web.1114meteor.php?page=1

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Atlantis References that Predate or are Contemporary with Plato

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlantis References that Predate or are Contemporary with Plato  (Read 23857 times)
Terra Sohns

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 01:20:43 pm »

Absonite:

Atalante,
While reading your post regarding the "Phlegrean Fields which exhibit Bradyseism" and the dating of the eruption of Vesuvius known as the "Campanian Ignimbrite" and dated 35,000 years ago, I find that it falls in line with what the Urantia papers (circa 1934) dates the sinking of Atlantis/Eden and the description of the event in the Mediterranean. Out of curiousity, do you know when it was discovered by science that the Vesuvius eruption occurred about 35,000 years ago?

"34,000 years ago with.....the violent activity of the surrounding volcanoes and the submergence of the Sicilian land bridge to Africa, the eastern floor of the Mediterranean Sea sank, carrying down beneath the waters the whole of the [Cyprus] peninsula. Concomitant with this vast submergence the coast line of the eastern Mediterranean was greatly elevated."

"About the time of these climatic changes in Africa, England separated from the continent, and Denmark arose from the sea, while the isthmus of Gibraltar, protecting the western basin of the Mediterranean, gave way as the result of an earthquake, quickly raising this inland lake to the level of the Atlantic Ocean. Presently the Sicilian land bridge submerged, creating one sea of the Mediterranean and connecting it with the Atlantic Ocean. This cataclysm of nature flooded scores of human settlements and occasioned the greatest loss of life by flood in all the world's history."

Atalante,

I think I found an answer to my own question, which creates further mystery, according to the references, 1982 was the date and the Urantia papers predate this scientific discovery by nearly 50 years. Now, isn't that something to ponder.

"Period I: The beginning of this period has not yet been well defined, though rocks which are older than the Campanian Ignimbrite can be seen within the cliffs of Mt.Procida, the hill of Cuma and the northern border of the Quarto and Soccavo plains. An approximate age for the Cuma lava domes of 37 ka was calculated by Cassignol and Gillot ( 1982) and an age of >42 ka was deduced from the pyroclastic deposits of Tuff at Torre Franco (Alessio et. al., 1973). The oldest dated exposures of 60 ka using 40Ar/39Ar isotopes can be seen on the slopes which border the northern edge of the Quarto plain. This period ended with the eruption of the Campanian Ignimbrite (37 ka) which covered approximately 30,000 km2 with 150 km3 of magma with a composition which ranges from trachyte to phonolitic-trachyte; this event is suggested to have been the biggest event within the Mediterranean area over the past 200 ka (Barberi et. al., 1978), and it has also been suggested that the epicentre might have migrated during the course of the eruption (Civetta et. al., 1997)."
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: