Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 05:55:07 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Atlantis References that Predate or are Contemporary with Plato

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlantis References that Predate or are Contemporary with Plato  (Read 23851 times)
Terra Sohns

« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2007, 01:13:37 pm »

From Chronos:

Welcome, Kenneth, I can see that you, too, have been researching the Atlantis references contemporary to Plato. Most of your information is correct, and I wonder if you can produce the exact quote of Strabo attributed to Aristotle disproving Atlantis so that we can study the context. Very little arhaecological work has ever been done at Sais, and, true, it didn't start until 1997.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The later quote by Proclus [410-485 A.D.]that Crantor [340-275 B.C.]confirmed Plato's account in Sais was mistranslated in the early 19th century by Thomas Taylor. Proclus was ambiguous whom he meant, writing only 'he' not Crantor at the relevant point.The way he paragraph was worded 'he' could refer to either Plato himself or Crantor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An excellent point here. I've read this before, too, and didn't want to add it yet because I was looking to print this exact passage, too, in it's exact context. We must also look at Crantor himself to see if he actually did make such a trip to Egypt (I think I have read that he did), and, in any event, whether he went to Sais.

In any event, count me among those who believe that it was indeed Solon not Plato who received the story of Atlantis. Attributing it to Plato seems just another way to discredit the story by those who don't happen to believe it anyway.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 32   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: