Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 12:50:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Communicating with the Dead (Original)

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Communicating with the Dead (Original)  (Read 8445 times)
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2008, 09:59:44 pm »

Sandra Taylor

Member # 2492

Member Rated:
   posted 07-31-2005 07:43 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BORLEY RECTORY
The History of "The Most Haunted House in England"

The most famous case in the career of Harry Price was undoubtedly that of Borley Rectory, a deteriorating house in Essex.

The tiny parish of Borley is located in a desolate, sparsely populated area near the east coast of England, near the Suffolk border. It is a lonely place and would be largely forgotten if not for the fact that it is the location of what came to be known as “The Most Haunted House in England”.

Harry Price got involved in the case after a newspaper carried a story about a phantom nun at the house in June 1929. Price was asked by the paper to investigate and he was told about various types of phenomena that had been reported there, like phantom footsteps; strange lights; ghostly whispers; a headless man; a girl in white; the sounds of a phantom coach outside; the apparition of the home’s builder, Henry Bull; and of course, the spirit of the nun. This spectral figure was said to drift through the garden with her head bent in sorrow.

Local legend had it that a monastery had once been located on the site and that a 13th century monk and a beautiful young novice were killed while trying to elope from the place. The monk was hanged and his would-be bride was bricked up alive within the walls of her convent. Price scoffed at the idea of such a romantic tale but was intrigued by the phenomena associated with the house.

It would be during his investigations of Borley Rectory that he would become the best-known and most accomplished of the early ghost hunters, setting the standard for those who would follow. Price coined the idea of the “ghost hunter’s kit”; used tape measurers to check the thickness of walls and to search for hidden chambers; perfected the use of still cameras for indoor and outdoor photography; brought in a remote-control motion picture camera; put to use a finger-printing kit; and even used portable telephones for contact between investigators.

Many of Price’s accounts from Borley would be first-hand, as he claimed to see and hear much of the reported phenomena like hearing bells ring, rapping noises and seeing objects that has been moved from one place to another. In addition, he also collected accounts from scores of witnesses and previous tenants of the house, even talking to neighbors and local people who had their own experiences with the rectory.

Even the original tenants of the house, the Rev. Henry Bull family had encountered the spirits. He had become pastor of Borley Church in 1862 and despite local warnings, had built the rectory on a site believed by locals to be haunted. Over the years, Bull’s servants and his daughters were repeatedly unnerved by phantom rappings, unexplained footsteps and the appearance of ghosts. Reverend Bull seemed to regard these events as splendid entertainment and he and his son, Harry, even constructed a summer house on the property where they could enjoy after-dinner cigars and watch for the appearance of the phantom nun who walked nearby.

Harry Bull inherited the rectory and the job as parson when his father died in 1892 and stayed on until his death in 1927. However, Bull’s successor, Rev. Guy Smith, quit the rectory just one year after moving in, plagued by both the ghosts and the house’s deteriorating state.

Marianne Foyster
Until that point, the ghosts at the rectory had been relatively peaceful, but all that would change in October 1930 when Smith was replaced by the Reverend Lionel Foyster and his wife, Marianne. Their time in the house would see a marked increase in the paranormal activity. People were locked out of rooms, household items vanished, windows were broken, furniture was moved, odd sounds were heard and much more.

However, the worst of the incidents seemed to involve Mrs. Foyster, as she was thrown from her bed at night, slapped by invisible hands, forced to dodge heavy objects which flew at her day and night, and was once almost suffocated with a mattress.

Soon after, there began to appear a series of scrawled messages on the walls of the house, written by an unknown hand. They seemed to be pleading with Mrs. Foyster, using phrases like “Marianne, please help get” and “Marianne light mass prayers”.

Because nearly all of the poltergeist-like activity occurred when Mrs. Foyster was present, Price was inclined to attribute it to her unknowing manipulations. However, he did believe in the possibility of the ghostly nun and some of the other reported phenomena. The rectory did not fit into pre-conceived notions of a haunted house, which was one of the reasons that it would go on to gain such a reputation.

Despite the implications of the phenomena centering around Marianne, Price maintained that at least one of the spirits in the house had found the rector’s wife to be sympathetic to its plight. This was the only explanation he could find for the mysterious messages.

The writing on the wall was witnessed by many of the investigators and visitors to the house.

He believed the writings had come from another young woman, one who seemed to be from her references, a Catholic. These clues would later fit well into Price’s theory that the Borley mystery was a terrible tale of murder and betrayal in which the central character was a young nun, although not the one of legend.

The Foysters moved out of the house in 1935 and with the place now empty, Price leased the house for an extended, round-the-clock, one year investigation. He ran an advertisement in the personal column of the Times on May 25, 1937 looking for open-minded researchers to literally “camp out” at the rectory and record any phenomena which took place in their presence. The advertisement read:

“HAUNTED HOUSE: Responsible persons of leisure and intelligence, intrepid, critical, and unbiased, are invited to join rota of observers in a years night and day investigation of alleged haunted house in Home counties. Printed Instructions supplied. Scientific training or ability to operate simple instruments an advantage. House situated in lonely hamlet, so own car is essential. Write Box H.989, The Times, E.C.4”

Price was deluged with potential applicants, most of whom were unsuitable. After choosing more than 40 people, he then printed the first-ever handbook on how to conduct a paranormal investigation. A copy was given to each investigator and it explained what to do when investigating the house, along with what equipment they would need.

During the investigations, the researchers were allowed a wide latitude when it came to searching for facts. Some of them employed their own equipment, others kept precise journals and others turned to séances, which would prove interesting over the period of 1935 to 1939.

During the year that Price leased the rectory, breakthroughs were made in the communications with the spirits. One séance would later give Price the material that he needed to solve (he believed) the mystery of the haunting.

During a sitting with a planchette, an alleged spirit named Marie Lairre related that she had been a nun in France but had left her convent to marry Henry Waldegrave, a member of a wealthy family whose manor home once stood on the site of Borley Rectory. There, her husband had strangled her and had buried her remains in the cellar.

The story went well with the most interesting of the Borley phenomena, namely the reported phantom nun and the written messages. Price theorized that the former nun had been buried in unconsecrated ground and was now doomed to haunt the property seeking rest.

The Rectory after the Fire
In March of 1938, five months after Marie’s first appearance, another spirit promised that the rectory would burn down that night and that the proof of the nun’s murder would be found in the ruins. Borley Rectory did not burn that night, but exactly 11 months later, a new owner, Captain WH Gregson was unpacking books in the library when an oil lamp overturned and started a fire. The blaze quickly spread and the rectory was gutted.

Price took this opportunity to excavate in the cellar of the house and discovered a few fragile bones which turned out to be that of a young woman.... evidence, Price concluded, there was something to the story of the murdered nun. A Christian burial for the bones appeared to provide the ghost with the rest she had long sought and a service was later conducted by the Rev. AC Henning in the small village of Liston, less than two miles from the rectory.

A close-up of the doorway at left

The photos above appeared in LIFE magazine in 1944, during the final demolition of Borley Rectory. The photo on the right is an enlargement from the larger photograph and shows what some claim is a "floating brick", suspended in the air by the spectral occupants of the rectory. Skeptics say that it was merely a brick thrown by a workman that was accidentally captured by the LIFE photographer. What do you think?

The building itself was finally demolished in 1944. However, its legacy still continues today and it retains its reputation as one of the world's most famous haunted houses!

Price wrote about Borley Rectory in two books entitled The Most Haunted House In England (1940) and The End of Borley Rectory (1946).

http://www.prairieghosts.com/brectory.html
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2008, 10:00:09 pm »

Michelle Sandberg

Member # 2194

Member Rated:
   posted 07-31-2005 09:19 PM                       
Heidi & Docyabut,

I am really sorry you lost your fathers recently. I lost my dad three years ago and haven't been the same since. Curt has been a replacement, but no one ever loves you unconditionally, like your dad. The world seems so much harder without your parents in it. No real words of advice to offer, except to say that you're not alone, I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2008, 10:00:41 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 08-01-2005 05:50 AM                       
Unknown, sorry to hear of your Mother`s canser and Heidi, Michele`s your lost. My Dad just died May 31 a few months ago at the local hospital and my hubby as been in the hospitals here and out of town for the last few years, for long periods of time, he`is there now.My daily life has been living at the hospitals you might as well say. In fact rode in the ambulance 3 times in Judy rushing him there and today he will transfer to another one. Its like living on the edge.
Posts: 8000 | From: toledo .ohio | Registered: Mar 2000   

Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2008, 10:01:04 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 08-01-2005 05:59 AM                       
Also the hospital my hubby`s going to today if all the records are in, is the hospital where my Dad`s donated his body. Its going to be hard knowing his body is there somewhere:( but in some way maybe my Dad`s donation could save by hubby.
Posts: 8000 | From: toledo .ohio | Registered: Mar 2000   
Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2008, 10:01:24 pm »

Mish

Member # 2552

posted 08-01-2005 06:30 AM                       
Doc - Wow. You sound like a pretty amazing woman -doin' what you gotta do, and everyone else seems to be holding up under their loses too. I only hope I am as stoic when it's my parents time. I am thinking of you guys...

Sandra - I'm sure some here already know of my obsession with ghosts being 'recordings'? Well, my husband and I are currently trying to access one. The idea being that if we send different sound vibrations (from his cello at the moment)through haunted waters, if we were to hit on a tone that is in resonance with the vibrational waves of the recording (or 'ghost'), the waves become amplified and make it easier to see, or get a photo record, of a manifestation. We have water samples from a local haunted hot springs and we have an amp set up with one sample pan on it, and another sample elsewhere as a 'control'. We send different tones (vibration lengths) through the sample pan of water and take photos at the same instant to log the results. So far nothing but photos of pans of water, but there are lots and lots of frequencies out there still to test! :-)

I laughed to my hubby the other day that it sounds as if I am trying to 'disprove' ghosts or the afterlife by proving they are recordings. Me! Who saw them first hand! I very much believe in something on the other side, but ghosts and hauntings are not considered 'real science', and therefore not worth study, because you can't reproduce results in a lab, you just do a lot of documenting. If someone could figure out how to observe a 'ghost' with regularity, or find one that shows up when asked (or when magnified with sound...:-) - viola'! -ghosts become real science. We'd get a whole lot more questions answered that way! This is my thinking.

Only a crazy-woman who has seen ghosts and then subsequently nabbed a science degree would think up this strangeness, I'm sure, but it drives me and it is fun. I wonder if the ghosts of Spring Cottage know, and approve, with what I'm about these days - since they kinda started it!!Ha!
Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2008, 10:01:43 pm »

AtlantisBermuda

Member # 2619

posted 08-01-2005 06:36 PM                       
Communicating with the dead is forbidden! ... Let the dead Rest In Peace!

--------------------
Corn Dog

Posts: 62 | From: San Gabriel, CA | Registered: Jul 2005   
Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2008, 10:02:02 pm »

Calvin Noble

Member # 2238

Rate Member   posted 08-01-2005 09:22 PM                       

quote:
Originally posted by ATLANTISBERMUDA:
Communicating with the dead is forbidden! ... Let the dead Rest In Peace!

Amen to that.
And attempting to communicate with the dead is the devil's work and forbidden by the Bible.

--------------------
"An atheist believes in nothing, and so he shall find nothing."

Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #262 on: January 20, 2008, 10:02:23 pm »

Sandra Taylor

Member # 2492

Member Rated:
   posted 08-01-2005 09:42 PM                       
Mish,

An interesting way to attempt spirit photography, I have never heard of that before. Where did you get the idea yourself? I'll be eager to know what you come up with!

I was thinking the best way to capture a ghost on film would be to go to a place that is known to be haunted with special camera equipment, set it up on a twenty-four hour basis, and then check through it later to see what you've got.

Earlier in this thread was a discussion about the movie "White Noise," where they did the same with sound equipment. Not sure that would work either, but, of course you would have to start with someplace that was haunted.

Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2008, 10:02:44 pm »

unknown

Member # 2403

Member Rated:
   posted 08-02-2005 09:02 AM                       
Doc

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.
All my prayers and best wishes go out to you and your family
Posts: 1756 | From: Pontiac, MI. Oakland | Registered: Mar 2005   

Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2008, 10:03:06 pm »

unknown

Member # 2403

Member Rated:
   posted 08-02-2005 09:08 AM                       
Thanks

Heidi, Ishtar and Sandra thank you for your kind words and prayers.

--------------------
several species of small furry animals gathered together and grooving with a pict in a cave

Posts: 1756 | From: Pontiac, MI. Oakland | Registered: Mar 2005   
Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2008, 10:03:32 pm »

Allison
Member # 2560

Member Rated:
   posted 08-02-2005 04:36 PM                       

quote:
Originally posted by Trent:
[QB]
quote:
The Ouija Board

Most people know this but I want to state a point here. The movie "The Exorcist" was, in fact, based on a true story. The victim though, was a Jesuit boy who, back in the late 40's (if memory serves correctly) began playing with the Ouija Board. He was duped into thinking that who or what he was talking to was a "playmate" and when his invisible friend asked of he could come in and join him, the boy agreed... the invitation the spirit needed to manifest. Over time, the boy became possessed by this spirit and went through numerous exorcisms by the Roman Catholics before finally being freed. Supposedly, the possessing spirit was a devil by the name of Beelzebub who, in theology, is one of the most powerful devils under Lucifer. All this, on historical record, because of a "game".

The Pendulum

To be brief here, the pendulum is, for intent and purpose, the same as the Ouija Board. It's sole function is spirit communication but is far less common nowadays than the ouija board. Like the name suggests, the only major difference between the two is the pointing device used. While the ouija board uses a planchette, normally a triangular shaped device with a crystal, glass, or plastic windows to display the letter to be annotated, the pendulum uses a pointed weight at the end of a line, acting as a pendulum would, to point to the letter of interest. The letters and numbers are often configured differently than a ouija board but in functionality, it's all the same. As with the ouija board, the outcome varies according to the actual intent of the user.

Automatic Writing and Channeling

Of all the various forms of spirit communication, I would consider automatic writing and "channeling" the most potentially dangerous forms. What is channeling? Channeling is, in effect, possession. It's possession with a purpose. Channeling in performed by a person who typically, has good natural psychic abilities. The goal behind channeling is to allow a foreign spirit to actually possess, or take over, the receptor for the purpose of direct verbal or written communication and on rare occasions, in demonology aspects, to enable a direct exorcism of the foreign spirit. What is Automatic Writing? "True" automatic writing is, in most aspects, the same as channeling. The receptor allows a foreign spirit to enter him or her to enable it to directly write out its thoughts or comments. Neither channeling or automatic writing should ever take place without experienced supervision, because it is actually a form of possession, someone should always be available to help should anything go wrong. At times however, either of these can happen spontaneously to an inexperienced psychic who has not learned how to "shut down" when their gifts are not needed.

Séances

There is one huge difference between the ouija board and a séance... a séance is designed around one basic fact... the invitation. A person using a ouija board does not necessarily invite anything initially, they typically ask if "anyone" is present. The séance's purpose is to invite a spirit. That can prove to be very dangerous. I highly recommend to anyone who insists on conducting séances, that they have a good psychic in the group, who will be able to determine the TRUE nature of the spirit, if one actually manifests. If the group were to invite, either knowingly or not, a negative, inhuman spirit, they may have started a process they would have never dreamed possible, the infestation, haunting, and torment of one or all of the people involved. What I find most often is, sadly, most people conducting séances do not take their action seriously enough, expecting to have a good time and go home when their done. Most of the time that IS the case but unfortunately not always.

Crystallomancy

Crystallomancy is the staring into a glass window, pool of water, mirror, or any other shiny, transparent, or reflective object to induce self-hypnosis (staring into the fire of a fireplace or candle has the same effect). The famous scenes of the gypsy staring into her crystal ball for the answers to all your questions and telling you your future. Many people believe that by inducing self-hypnosis by any means of crystallomancy, they are putting themselves on the same level as the spirits and are able to communicate or receive information directly to or from them. Another form of this is called the psychomanthium, where the person enters a dark room or closet (or the like) lit only by dim red lights and sits directly in from of a mirror. This method often is used to summon or contact darker forms of spirits.

On the opposite side of the coin, instead of a person staring into a window or the like, you will often find pictures on the internet or on television where a ghost or apparition is seen in a window, as if looking out of it. This is the same type of effect, in reverse. "Mirror, mirror on the wall..." remember that?

OK - there are much simpler ways to achieve such communication, and there are also a set of ethics that go along with it. Communication between the worlds is not a parlour game.

Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2008, 10:03:55 pm »

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 08-02-2005 08:03 PM                       
So what is a simpler way to contact the dead, Allison?

And what ethics..?
Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2008, 10:04:17 pm »

rockessence

Member # 1839

Member Rated:
   posted 08-02-2005 08:18 PM                       
Jennifer,

What is ultimately contacted is not "the dead", meaning a whole personality of some one specific that has passed over. What comes through are "remnants of energies" of some one who has died without a coherent and whole personality. Those left over energies are parts of a personality that the person never integrated properly.....deviance, addiction, that type of thing. These energies will tell you ANYTHING you want to hear, so you will think it is what you want.

--------------------
"Illigitimi non carborundum!"
All knowledge is to be used in the manner that will give help and assistance to others, and the desire is that the laws of the Creator be manifested in the physical world. E.Cayce 254-17

Posts: 3128 | From: Port Townsend WA | Registered: Feb 2004   
Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2008, 10:04:49 pm »

Heidi Paget

Member # 2243

Rate Member   posted 08-02-2005 09:00 PM                       
Thanks for welcoming me to the group, Mish, I have been reading about your encounters with ghosts and like your posts a lot.

Rockessence, I ordered "Journey of Souls", it should be here in a couple of days. Is there practical guidance in it about dealing with grief, too?

Sandra, I read about your experiences with your father and also like your posts a lot. I feel really bad for you, it's awful to lose your father, but at least you turned your experience into a positive thing.

Docyabut, I've been reading about what you have been going through this month and my heart really goes out to you. I wish I could think of something more meaningful to say to make you feel better.

Report Spam   Logged
Sandra
Superhero Member

« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2008, 10:05:22 pm »

rockessence

Member # 1839

Member Rated:
   posted 08-03-2005 02:26 AM                       
Heidi,

Not so much in that context, but enabling one to realize the structure, the big picture of our sojurns in human existance.

Also to realize that you and your "soul-partners", those that you are close to in life, are part of a group or circle of souls that are interconnected life after life, and af course, between lives. You help one another to move forward, or provide the opportunity for soul-growth. That sometimes means adversarial relationships! Sometimes a soul-partner is in contact with us for only a short time, enough to lead us or push us to open or close a door, or to turn a corner.

I highly recommend the use of rose quartz for the sadness of grief....Holding it in the hand when needed, or wearing a bead of it touching the skin.

--------------------
"Illigitimi non carborundum!"
All knowledge is to be used in the manner that will give help and assistance to others, and the desire is that the laws of the Creator be manifested in the physical world. E.Cayce 254-17

Posts: 3128 | From: Port Townsend WA | Registered: Feb 2004   
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: