Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:51:13 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

An Inconvenient Truth (Original)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Inconvenient Truth (Original)  (Read 13746 times)
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #75 on: December 30, 2007, 01:04:54 am »

Byron
unregistered

posted 07-10-2006 07:16 PM             
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good points, Daffy, however you'll notice that that the Bill of Rights have taken much more of a beating since 9/11 than in any of those successive administrations. Too bad in most cases, the Republican-controlled Congress lacks the balls to stand up for itself, or their constituency. 
Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #76 on: December 30, 2007, 01:05:19 am »

Huggy

Member # 2417

posted 07-11-2006 06:54 AM                   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ANTARCTIC MISSION

Ship’s Log - 29 June 2006

By Jean Lemire

It’s raining! Not heavily, but still...it’s incredible, discouraging and, above all, disheartening. The mercury is brushing up against the zero degree mark (Celsius). Actually, it’s just a smidgen below zero. But it’s raining just the same!

We were apprehensive about the north winds—the winds that blow in from the continent and before that, the cities that we call home. They carry a bit of us and the things we left behind. They carry a bit of you. They’re here, and they will continue to blow until July is thoroughly settled in. They’ll strengthen in the coming days, and no one can predict the effect they’ll have on the temperature. But nothing very promising is in store for us.

The rain is a gentle rain, almost a freezing mist. Must I remind you that it’s winter down here? Here being Antarctica...What can I say, what can I add? What words can I use to demonstrate the urgency of the situation, repeating again and again that the planet’s climate is out of kilter?

Tonight, in the rain, I am at a loss for words.

One of the greatest challenges for humanity is now to find solutions to address this planetary climate problem. For years, ecological groups, often dismissed as radicals, have failed in their efforts to raise public awareness of a variety of environmental problems. Not so much because they weren’t right—scientists have shown the extent to which the environmental situation had deteriorated in recent decades—but most of all because of the solutions that they were proposing. Oftentimes, in those days, getting back to the land was seen as THE solution to all of the planet’s problems. Asking the wealthiest societies to turn their back on consumerism and the forces that feed the economy was never a solution that had public support—not then and not now.

It is time to unite, to create a worldwide force, bringing together all possible players to try to find a solution to our environmental problems. North Americans are the greatest consumers and the greatest polluters on the planet, not because they’re bad, but rather because the industrial system that we’ve created doesn’t leave us much choice. The inventions that paved the way for exponential economic growth are primitive, in the sense that they were created even before we were aware of how our planet works.

When the automobile was invented, no one wondered about the effects that CO2 would have on the planet’s climate. Who could have imagined that simply turning the ignition key of one’s car would have so many consequences: atmospheric pollution, accidental spills at sea and even wars among peoples for control of black gold.

What then is the solution? To hide deep in the forest, far from the real world that we have created, and to tack up a sign, on recycled paper, on the door of the cabin that we’ve just built in the trees, saying “Save the planet”? I don’t think so.

Now that we know a bit better how this planet works, isn’t it time to articulate a vision for the future based on human ingenuity and a hearty dose of common sense? We’ve got to take up the challenge, putting industrials, thinkers, inventors and businessmen to work and stimulating the quest for solutions that are more respectful of the environment. It is not by turning our backs on business people that we will be able to articulate this new vision for tomorrow, based on the new values to which we are laying claim. It is perhaps time to reinvent the wheel, one spoke at a time.

Multinational corporations have gotten the message. Toyota, Honda, Mercedes and many others are all working on non-polluting cars. There are hybrid cars, and now engines that run on hydrogen are under development. We’ll find still better solutions in the near future.

A civilization that has been rethought, with a vision that is more respectful of the environment will also mean improved quality of life and, consequently, better health.

You mustn’t be concerned about the economy. Money is only the engine that drives the economy. From a strictly business point of view, there is no difference between selling energy produced by coal or selling a energy produced by a clean technology, like wind or solar. The businessman and the multinational corporation that he represents buy and sell. What they buy and sell matters little. Their sole motive is profit. And profit, in sales, always comes from demand. And demand is created by us. It is therefore our duty to demand clean products, to lay the groundwork for these new societies with new values, more respectful of the environment. A good start if we truly wish to articulate a vision for the future of this planet.

In the meantime, here in Antarctica, it’s raining in winter...

Jean

--------------------
As Above So Below.

Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2007, 01:05:37 am »

BigFatFurryTexan

Member # 1520

Rate Member   posted 07-11-2006 07:34 AM                   
Quote:"all of us getting more insecure, and thus more polarized, as we are pushed into the abyss with divide-and-conquer tactics."

That is true. I think that is what is behind the deep division in America. I am willing to bet that with the same effort spent to divide America to the 50/50 split, if the same effort were spent uniting us we could get close to a 90/10 split at worst. Think what kind of international pull you get when they know that 90% of America backs what their president does.

I think that before we can "re"unite our nation, though, we have to have a group worthy of uniting behind. I don't see any politicians like that as of late.

Byron, i would remind you that Nixon eroded the bill of rights (or, attempted to) worse than any other president. Truman wasn't so hot either, when you consider how many Japanese he cooked with the nukes. The funny thing about the rights of Americans...we started out by saying "We hold these truths to be self evident..." In my estimation, this is an admission that all people, no matter who they are or where they are, are entitled to these "rights", even those in Gitmo, Hiroshima, Abu Graib, Berlin, Saigon....

He who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserves niether.

[ 07-11-2006, 07:36 AM: Message edited by: BigFatFurryTexan ]

--------------------
Think outside the flock

Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #78 on: December 30, 2007, 01:06:01 am »

Daffy Duck
Member # 320

Rate Member   posted 07-11-2006 09:13 AM                   
I think the first thing we need is reading and comprehension, Tex. Your last paragraph is out of left field. The "We hold these truths to be self-evident" is from the Declaration fo Independence, not the Bill of Rights.

Truman was upholding his duty in respect to this paragraph of the Declaration of Independence:

quote:
Nor have We been wanting in attentions to our British brethren. We have warned them from time to time of attempts by their legislature to extend an unwarrantable jurisdiction over us. We have reminded them of the circumstances of our emigration and settlement here. We have appealed to their native justice and magnanimity, and we have conjured them by the ties of our common kindred. to disavow these usurpations, which would inevitably interrupt our connections and correspondence. They too have been deaf to the voice of justice and of consanguinity. We must, therefore, acquiesce in the necessity, which denounces our Separation, and hold them, as we hold the rest of mankind, Enemies in War, in Peace Friends.

The duty of the US Government is secure American life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness FIRST. I don't think I have to make the case to you that at one time Japan and Germany threatened the American people (but in peace, we are friends), and that right now, we are threatened my militant Islam (Enemies in War).
Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2007, 01:06:20 am »

johnee

Member # 1580

posted 07-11-2006 10:11 AM                   
http://www.duke.edu/eng169s2/group1/lex3/nor.htm
Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2007, 01:07:13 am »

Daffy Duck
Member # 320

Rate Member   posted 07-11-2006 12:36 PM                   
http://www.duke.edu/eng169s2/group1/lex3/slave.htm

^ and probably should have left this paragraph in the adopted document....but that would have opened another can of worms.

[ 07-11-2006, 12:38 PM: Message edited by: Daffy Duck ]
Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2007, 01:07:33 am »

BigFatFurryTexan

Member # 1520

Rate Member   posted 07-11-2006 02:11 PM                   
My last paragraph misquoted the source. My point is accurate: that if a truth is self evident, it applies when layed out generically across all civilizations. Self evident means that it is the way life is, and that is the way we see life.

Constitutionally, it is americas responsibility to ensure that basic rights and the rule of law is the standard, not the exception.

Do i support imperialism? No. Force is not always the best way to accomplish something...sometimes finesse has a place, too.

--------------------
Think outside the flock

Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #82 on: December 30, 2007, 01:07:53 am »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

Rate Member   posted 07-12-2006 04:55 PM                   
Said Neville Chamberlain.    Couldn't resist. Both sides must be at lest marginally civilized and rational for finesse to work.
Posts: 9856 | From: Old Washington, Ohio , USA | Registered: Apr 2002

Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #83 on: December 30, 2007, 01:08:26 am »

Silliman
Member # 3035

Rate Member   posted 07-16-2006 05:55 PM                   
Brandon started out this thread/topic with a partial review of Al Gore’s movie. I have not seen the movie but I was impressed with the string of a dozen of so potential results of our actions that Brandon offered from the movie and other sources.

The list includes: could be, imagine, assuming, will increase, in climate extremes, are anticipated, would increase risk, are likely, is predicted and mostly.

He did include one non subjective observation, the ocean level has risen 4 to 8 inches over the last hundred years.

Perspective offered:

Bjorn Lomborg wrote his book “The Skeptical Environmentalist” in 2001. A one-time Greenpeace enthusiast, he’d originally planned to disprove those who said the environment was getting better. He failed, and to his credit, his book said so, supplying a damning critique of today’s environmental pessimism. Carefully researched, it offered endless statistics showing that from bio-diversity to global warming, there simply were no apocalypses in the offing.

In 2004, he invited eight of the world’s top economist to Copenhagen, where they were asked to evaluate the world’s problem, think of costs and efficiencies attached to solving each and then produce a prioritized list of the most deserving of money. While the economists were from varying political stripes, they largely agreed. The numbers were just so compelling: $1 spent preventing HIV/AIDS would result in about $40 of social benefits, so the economist put it at the top of the list (followed by malnutrition, free trade and malaria.) In contrast, #1 spent to abate global warming would result in only about 2 cents to 25 cents worth of good, so that project was dropped to the bottom (#38,39,40).

The above is from an article in The Sacramento Bee, Sunday, July 16, 2006. The title of the article is “Dane ‘lefty’ is no fan of global dreaming” by Kimberly A. Strassel, a member of the Wall Street Journal’s editorial board. BUT this article was NOT included in their online web-site.

Norm
Posts: 7 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Mar 2006
Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #84 on: December 30, 2007, 01:08:48 am »

BigFatFurryTexan

Member # 1520

Rate Member   posted 07-17-2006 07:40 PM                   
Could you imagine what a fly, with a 24 hour lifespan, would say after a few generations and summer came to pass? They would think the world was ending, that it was turning into "frost world".

Such is our short term perspective. We have direct measurements going only a couple hundred years back, and those are not too exact. The rest of the data is extrapolated using "scientific measurements" (ie, semieducated guesses). The proof of the scientific facts is not likely to ever materialize, as the worldly environment even 2000 years ago was likely drastically different than today. Via incremental change (through which we have adapted) the environment changes, thus leaving a trail of mystery for whack jobs (which Gore seems to quote endlessly) to make up the presumptions you referred to, Silliman.

--------------------
Think outside the flock

Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #85 on: December 30, 2007, 01:09:33 am »

Jacob1919

Member # 2522

Rate Member   posted 07-18-2006 01:20 PM                   
great point BFFT.

which brings me to my other point writing BFFT always makes me think of Calvin (of and Hobbes fame) sticking out his tongue and going BFFTFFTFFT

--------------------
living in the sunlight, loving in the moonlight, having a wonderful time

Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2007, 01:09:51 am »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

Rate Member   posted 07-18-2006 05:08 PM                   
Calvin and Hobbs, my favorite stinkers. Watterson must have had a most interesting and extremely well remembered childhood.
Posts: 9856 | From: Old Washington, Ohio , USA | Registered: Apr 2002 
Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #87 on: December 30, 2007, 01:10:22 am »

BigFatFurryTexan

Member # 1520

Rate Member   posted 07-20-2006 08:56 AM                   
I have a Calvin tattoo...one of my few.

Here is an inconvenient truth:

This hurricane season seems to be a big bust thus far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_the_2005_Atlantic_hurricane_season

Did the same climatologists that predicted the worst hurricane season ever help Gore with his pseudoscience movie?

--------------------
Think outside the flock

Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #88 on: December 30, 2007, 01:10:42 am »

Psycho

Member # 2035

posted 07-20-2006 11:03 AM                   
So what makes you think it's psuedoscience? Have you even investigated what he says yourself, or are you merely taking the opinion of the right wing hackery once again? 
Report Spam   Logged
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #89 on: December 30, 2007, 01:11:01 am »

Briwnys

Member # 2736

Member Rated:
   posted 07-20-2006 01:06 PM                   

quote:
Are Black Holes really bubbles of dark matter?
July 20, 2006
Recent observations of near-infrared and X-ray flares from Sagittarius A*, which is believed to be a supermassive black hole at the Galactic center, show that the source exhibits about 20-minute periodic variability. Anatoly Svidzinsky, visiting Assistant Professor of Applied Physics at Texas A&M has recently provided arguments based on a quantitative analysis that supermassive objects at galactic centers are bubbles of dark matter axions, rather then black holes.
An oscillating axion bubble can explain the periodic variability of Sagittarius A* and, with no free parameters, yields the axion mass about 1 meV in agreement with Svidzinsky's previous findings obtained from quasar observations. The bubble scenario naturally explains the lack of supermassive "black holes" with M<10^6M_{Sun}. Low-mass bubbles decay fast and as a result are very rare. Svidzinsky also found that the mass of an axion bubble can not exceed 2.5\times 10^9M_{Sun}, in agreement with the largest supermassive "black hole" masses measured for active galactic nuclei. His findings, if confirmed, suggests that Einstein general relativity is invalid for strong gravity and the gravitational force effectively becomes repulsive at large potential.
Imaging a shadow of the "black hole" at the Galactic center with VLBI within the next few years will be capable of distinguishing between the black hole and the oscillating axion bubble scenarios. In the case of axion bubble, a steady shadow will not be observed. Instead, the shadow will appear and disappear periodically with a period of about 20 minutes.

I've been questioning the validity of the "black hole" theory for years.

Briwnys

[ 07-20-2006, 01:08 PM: Message edited by: Briwnys ]

--------------------
To those who understand, no explanation is necessary; to those who do not, no explanation is possible

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: