Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:25:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

An Inconvenient Truth (Original)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 80   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An Inconvenient Truth (Original)  (Read 13760 times)
Brandon
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2007, 12:48:12 am »

BigFatFurryTexan

Member # 1520

Rate Member   posted 06-20-2006 06:21 PM                   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think to summarize just about everyone's posts: Scientists don't know anything, and they make wild guesses based on measureable criteria. To detect "global warming" one would have to have a life span that would support making the required observations. All of humanity hasn't existed long enough (in our recorded history) to detect global warming trends that could be attributed to anything other than natural causes.

I think that Briwnys hits it on the head, however. How do you measure causation in chaos? If you had an idea of all causative factors, their reactions, and the subsequent effects that they would cause, you could attempt to model it. But, can we seriously identify the causality existant within chaos?

I do think that we think too small. We live in the age of the "big thinkers." Macroeconomists and nuclear physicists. They are identified by their ability to look above the trees and see the forest. But they are not big thinkers at all. They like to think they are such, but a big thinker would realize that the forest is only a small part, as there is still a planet, a solar system....the problem with only thinking outside the box is that you confine yourself to this world. True big thinkers would realize that there are several probabilities that impact the earth, but are not discussed or considered (possibly because it showcases our ignorance):

1. There is likely undetected energy fields and stellar bodies within our local neighborhood of the galaxy and universe. We could very well not understand the energy type, its effects...we may not even be aware that it exists because we cannot measure something that lies within our compound ignorance.

2. There is very likely changes in frequency in the various energy types located in the solar system. This could be regional, and if so we would need to live for the 25k years it would take to have a clue at what the possibilities even are.

3. the center of our galaxy is likely to emit a large jet. It is postulated that all galaxies do this from time to time. the ramifications for us are not clear, as we have no point of reference. It seems grim, however, if it does happen.

4. Plasma cosmology has had some big wins lately with their prediction of behaviors on comet temple with deep impact. if they are right, all starts are powered by "pinches" in the flow of plasma in the massive interstellar birkeland strands. what effect does the crisscrossing of these strands have, or the latent EM radiation left in their wake?

There are bogeymen lurking in every corner. I don't think global warming is going to get us, but i may be wrong. i don't think global warming is our fault, but i may be wrong. i do think it is a moot point, as we should love and respect the planet that is our home and provides us with life. but fear mongering over it is a political ploy not truly aimed at reform so much as garnering votes.

--------------------
Think outside the flock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 80   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: