Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 08:27:15 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: USA showered by a watery comet ~11,000 years ago, ending the Golden Age of man in America
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050926/mammoth_02.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Should the avatar stars value be changed?

Poll
Question: Should the avatar stars value be changed to 1000 to reach "hero" status?
Yes - 1 (6.3%)
No - 7 (43.8%)
I don't care. - 6 (37.5%)
Keep current values but make additions at 500,1000,10000. - 2 (12.5%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Should the avatar stars value be changed?  (Read 2141 times)
Tina Walter
Superhero Member

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2007, 02:57:59 am »

Well sad, Rockessence, I couldn't agree more.  People used to rate me down at AR, too, and I didn't even remember pissing anybody off, I wasn't even there enough to **** people off.  The whole rating syetem there was a joke, misery loves company, I suppose.
Report Spam   Logged
bluducky

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2007, 01:45:39 am »

As for "friends voting for friends", are we children? Do we REALLY think along those lines, that we should vote for our friends, simply because we KNOW them?  Ridiculous.

Well, I guess we ARE not much more than children.  My only reason for wanting a merit system, was so I could use it properly, and vote for those who truly deserve recognition. (not to play popularity games)

(I'm begining to think that no one thinks like I do, and that it is all a futile popularity contest. EVEN post count indicators. I'm sure there are a few here, that dont say much, but post a LOT, perhaps for a star rating)

You can't win, either way.

But I do ask again:

How many post count status indicators do we need?

(I like the idea of having titles, "hero member", etc, and having post counts listed underneath it. I once was a member of a forum like that, and it worked flawlessly. Voting was non existent)

Report Spam   Logged
Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2007, 02:22:34 am »

Bluducky,

It takes 100 posts to get five stars and become a "hero member," which actually isn't that hard for anyone to achieve.

Again, we aren't competing with one another here, but hopefully having some intelligent exchanges.

By the way, there are many Australians here - sevens, Broodstryder, Mark, yourself, just to name a few.

Brooke
Report Spam   Logged

"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2007, 03:54:35 am »

My only reason for wanting a merit system, was so I could use it properly, and vote for those who truly deserve recognition. (not to play popularity games)

(I'm begining to think that no one thinks like I do, and that it is all a futile popularity contest. EVEN post count indicators. I'm sure there are a few here, that dont say much, but post a LOT, perhaps for a star rating)

You know, sorry to single you out, Bluducky, but the more I think on this, the worse of an idea it is.  First off, why reward someone with a high rating who barely even posts here?  Participation is what makes a forum "go," whereas your idea, a person could simply out in his two cents every few months leave, and come back again, seemingly with the hope of having his rating intact, then leave for another six months. If ratings are that important to someone, why, they know how to get one, not to mention keep it intact.

In our methodology, one has to work to get a rating (as in real life) while, with yours, one could conceivably get by simply by trying to be charming. It may work like that in real life at times, and yet, that isn't the way it should work.

As for "popularity contests," with your suggestion, we would be playing them, the way it is now, we are not. Post indicators and stars are simply related to how many posts a person has. The decision as to who is popular and who isn't is simply taken out of one's hands. And, lastly for not saying much, but posting A LOT, well, whether someone's post have merit depends on what subject matter you happen to be interested in and who is reading it. In my opinion, most of the things I have seen posted here have some merit, then, I'm all for learning new things.

If I could, I would also give gold stars to the people who have abandoned AR and become our regular members here. I am not going to mention names, because I am afraid I might leave some people out, but you each know who you are, and you are every bit as responsible for making this forum a success (if not more) as were any of the people who made it.

Peace,

Veronica
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2007, 11:23:50 am »

Hey Blu,

Good point, but if the value of one's posts tends to be pretty subjective around here, depending on what your particular cup of tea is.  Also, we have the whole matter of the popularity contest where people tend to vote others up and down depending on who their friends are.

I knew a bunch of people who got rated down at AR simply because some people didn't like their politics, their method of debate, whatever. Is that fair? Nope.

Jennie

I never got a rating until I got here.   Grin

Of course i tend to be in my own category anyway.  My mom has told me that since birth...  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2007, 11:31:08 am »

My only reason for wanting a merit system, was so I could use it properly, and vote for those who truly deserve recognition. (not to play popularity games)

You know, sorry to single you out, Bluducky, but the more I think on this, the worse of an idea it is.  First off, why reward someone with a high rating who barely even posts here?  Participation is what makes a forum "go," whereas your idea, a person could simply out in his two cents every few months leave, and come back again, seemingly with the hope of having his rating intact, then leave for another six months. If ratings are that important to someone, why, they know how to get one, not to mention keep it intact.

In our methodology, one has to work to get a rating (as in real life) while, with yours, one could conceivably get by simply by trying to be charming. It may work like that in real life at times, and yet, that isn't the way it should work.

As for "popularity contests," with your suggestion, we would be playing them, the way it is now, we are not. Post indicators and stars are simply related to how many posts a person has. The decision as to who is popular and who isn't is simply taken out of one's hands. And, lastly for not saying much, but posting A LOT, well, whether someone's post have merit depends on what subject matter you happen to be interested in and who is reading it. In my opinion, most of the things I have seen posted here have some merit, then, I'm all for learning new things.

If I could, I would also give gold stars to the people who have abandoned AR and become our regular members here. I am not going to mention names, because I am afraid I might leave some people out, but you each know who you are, and you are every bit as responsible for making this forum a success (if not more) as were any of the people who made it.

Peace,

Veronica

I agree.
The forums should be topic driven not ratings driven  Last thing we want here is to turn this into High School.
Report Spam   Logged
Blackstone

« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 01:18:49 pm »

A rating system can be abused so it's probably best to avoid one.  However, the one eBay uses is interesting.  You get two ratings: good and bad and people can vote either way (though only once I presume).
Report Spam   Logged

Certainty Murders Possibility ~Shinsei
Power over others is Weakness disguised as Strength ~Eckhart Tolle
bluducky

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2007, 02:34:35 am »

Hello again guys Smiley

I think you've all misunderstood my intentions, or, that you don't quite udnerstand the value of SOME sort of rating system.

Let me explain,

By no means was I intending to have it subjected to peoples whimsical ideas of friendship, and thus losing it's true value.

By no means was I suggesting a once off "vote for this person".  But I do understand that given the limited interactions available over the internet, it is nearly impossible to vote fairly.

What I was proposing, is a post by post rating system, whereby members have the opportunity to "vote for this post", and tell how helpful, not helpful etc it was.

It has NOTHING, I repeat, NOTHING, to do with popularity -- unless some would be so shallow, as to vote for their friends' posts, with no merit whatsoever.

I intended this to be for the purposes of education, and to help.

So please, single me out if you wish, but I do ask that first, you actually understand my reasoning, before making assumptions as to my meaning.

It's not a polularity contest folks, just a bit of a "look here!" for some wisdom. (which we as members decide upon)

(As for Volitzer, I would love to give a merit vote for several of his posts. He can be more insightful, than a lot of people give him credit for)

Blu
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: