Atlantis Online
March 19, 2024, 06:30:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Library of Alexandria (Original)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Library of Alexandria (Original)  (Read 10667 times)
+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #390 on: April 13, 2008, 03:56:26 pm »

+Faith+

Member # 2886

Member Rated:
   posted 05-09-2006 12:29 AM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No, we haven't.

[ 05-09-2006, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: +Faith+ ]

--------------------
(Psalms) 31:5,
"Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #391 on: April 13, 2008, 03:56:51 pm »

Isis*

Member # 2251

Member Rated:
   posted 05-23-2006 01:12 AM                       
Hermes has long been considered to be the Greek rendition of Thoth, let's find out more about him:

Hermes

"Better to live in fellowship with the deathless gods continually, rich, wealthy, and enjoying stores of grain, than to sit always in a gloomy cave: and, as regards honor, I too will enter upon the rite that Apollo has. If Zeus will not give it me, I will seek to be a prince of robbers. And if Apollo shall seek me out, I think another and a greater loss will befall him. For I will break into his great house, and will plunder therefrom splendid tripods, and cauldrons, and gold, and plenty of bright iron, and much apparel." [Hermes to Maia. Homeric Hymn to Hermes 170]

"Child, lying in the cradle, make haste and tell me of my cattle, or we two will soon fall out angrily. For I will take and cast you into dusky Tartarus and awful hopeless darkness, and neither your mother nor your father shall free you." [Apollo to Hermes. Homeric Hymn to Hermes 255]

Hermes is the messenger of Zeus and the herald of the gods. To him is ascribed the introduction of the sending of embassies to sue for peace. Hermes, the robber and cattle driver, the prince of tricksters, the thief at the gates, the bringer of dreams, the patron of travellers, is also the governor of the tongue, and the guide of intelligent speech. Hermes is called Argiphontes, for having killed the All-seeing Argus 1 who guarded Io, and Psychopompus for being the guide of souls to the Underworld.

Born in Arcadia
Maia gave birth to Hermes in a cave in Mount Cyllene in Arcadia. Some say that Hermes was raised by Acacus, son of the Arcadian king Lycaon 2.

Amazing child steals cattle
Hermes was born with the dawn, at mid-day he played on the lyre, and in the evening he went to Pieria, a region about Mount Olympus in northern Thessaly, and stole the cattle of Apollo, while Apollo was distracted because of his love for Hymenaeus 2. The theft was witnessed by Battus 1, who promised not to tell. But, not being able to keep his promise, he was turned by Hermes into a stone.

Also others had later their shapes transformed by Hermes: the Athenian Aglaurus 2 was transformed into a stone [see Envy], and for having offended the gods, he transformed Agron 1 into a plover, Eumelus 5 into a raven, and Alcathoe, Arsippe and Leucippe 4 into birds.

Hermes invents the lyre
When stealing the cattle, and in order not to be detected, Hermes put shoes on their feet and brought them to Pylos, hiding the rest in a cave. He sacrificed two animals and then returned to Cyllene where he found a tortoise, and having strung its shell with chords made of the cattle he had sacrificed, he produced a lyre and invented the plectrum too.

"If you die, then you shall make sweetest song" [Hermes to the tortoise. Homeric Hymn to Hermes 39]

Apollo is as clever as Hermes
In the meantime, Apollo came to Pylos looking for Hermes, but no one in the city was able to say in which direction the boy with the cattle had disappeared. So Apollo, having discovered the circumstances of the theft by divination, came to Maia at Mount Cyllene, and accused Hermes. But Maia could only show him the innocent child in his cradle. So Apollo took the child to Zeus, and claimed the cattle back. Hermes at first denied the theft, but as nobody believed him, he was forced to lead Apollo to Pylos, and restore the cattle.

Hermes

Exchange of gifts
However, in the process Apollo discovered the lyre that Hermes had invented, and was willing to give Hermes the cattle in exchange for the musical instrument. So they agreed, and Hermes went pasturing the cattle, making a shepherd's pipe for himself. And this pipe was so amazing that Apollo desired it too. So Apollo offered to give Hermes the golden wand that he used while he herded cattle, but in the bargain Hermes received from Apollo, besides the wand, the art of divining by pebbles. The golden wand, the Caduceus, is a splendid staff of riches and wealth, which keeps Hermes scatheless.

Hermes gave another lyre one to Amphion 1, who fortified the city of Thebes, the stones following his lyre.

Hermes defends Heaven
When Typhon revolted against heaven, the monster severed Zeus' sinews and put them away, hidden in a bearskin, and he set to guard them the she-dragon Delphyne, who was a half-bestial maiden. But Hermes and Aegipan 1 stole the sinews, and fitted them unobserved to Zeus [Typhon's attack against heaven may be read at Zeus]. And when the GIANTS revolted against the gods, Hermes, wearing Hades' helmet, killed the giant Hippolytus 3.

Protection of the child Dionysus 2
It was Hermes, who protecting the child Dionysus 2 from the wrath of Hera, entrusted the infant Dionysus 2 to Athamas 1 and Ino, and persuaded them to rear him as a girl.

Protection of the children of Nephele 2
He also gave the Ram with the Golden Fleece to Nephele 2. This ram bore Phrixus 1 and Helle through the sky to Colchis [see also ARGONAUTS].

One of his many messages
When a dispute arose about the kingdom of Mycenae, Zeus sent Hermes to Atreus and told him to stipulate with Thyestes 1 that Atreus should be king if the sun should go backwards; and when Thyestes 1 agreed, the sun set in the east.

The Judgement of Paris
Following Zeus' decision, the three goddesses, Athena, Hera and Aphrodite, were led by Hermes to Mount Ida (near Troy) in order to be judged by Paris, who decided which one would have the Apple of Eris, a beauty award.

http://homepage.mac.com/cparada/GML/Hermes.html
Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #392 on: April 13, 2008, 03:57:39 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 06-13-2006 06:54 PM                       
True Friends never fade.

I am inclined to believe that The Red Pyramid is one of the first pyramids built by Atlanteans and not Snoferu, such as neither was The Great Pyramid, the identical twin to the Red Pyramid built by Khufu. Each Pyramid had it's own Lion Sphinx facing east.

The pyramids at Giza reveal the astrological gaze to the ascension of The Son of Man in the Carina Nebula Star System.

This is how I decoded the Milky Way Pyramids which also lead to the secret path out of our Galaxy through the Eastern "H" Field.

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/Pythagoras%20Pyramid%20Map%20by%20Riven05.GIF

This next picture is what the Lion Sphinxes reveal by their easterly gaze;

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/The%20Ascension%20%20and%20The%20Dragon%20of%20Defence%20%20Hubble%20Telescope%20R.JPG

This is the missing Lion Sphinx with the transport logs still in place north west of the Red Pyramid.

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/Missing%20Red%20Lion%20Sphinx%20of%20Avila%20Atlantis%20by%20Riven05.JPG

Here is an aerial view of the Red Pyramid,The missing Lion Sphinx and The Vanished Serapaeum (Labyrinth), that was dismantled and rebuilt where the Egyptian Scroll of The Tale of The Shipwrecked Sailor revealed to me;

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/Vanished%20Lion%20Sphinx%20Temple%20of%20Fire%20Riven%20Jan%202006aD.jpg

The True Garden of Humans in Tanzania,Africa.

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/The%20Garden%20of%20Eden%20in%20Avila.htm

The Secret of The Atlantean Twin Pyramids
The Atlantean Twin Lions (Sphinx)

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/Mysterean.htm

It is not a mystery anymore.....

neither is Atlantis...

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/

Library of Alexandria;

http://www.mts.net/~perasa1/chalcidium_library_of_alexandria.htm

--------------------
.111.[R].Riven The Seer and Royal Bloodline to Atlantis.[R].111.

Posts: 4048 | From: Azores Atlantis Isles. | Registered: May 2003   
Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #393 on: April 13, 2008, 03:58:01 pm »

Sarah

Member # 2812

Member Rated:
   posted 06-14-2006 01:56 AM                       
Welcome back, friend Riven, you have been missed.

Sarah

--------------------
"If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, may my right hand fail..." - King David, Psalms 137:5

http://www.zwoje-scrolls.com/shoah/index.html

http://www.holocaustchronicle.org/

Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #394 on: April 13, 2008, 03:58:31 pm »

Luke

Member # 3088

Member Rated:
   posted 06-15-2006 11:56 PM                       
It's a shame that so much of ancient Alexandria is under water, courtesy of the earthquake. They aren't even certain where the lighthouse of Alexandria was, one of the biggest structures, let alone the library. If it ended up under water, too, then all the knowledge they held there would also most likely be disintegrated, too.
Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #395 on: April 13, 2008, 03:58:53 pm »

Desiree

Member # 2991

Member Rated:
   posted 06-18-2006 03:23 AM                       
Welcome back, Riven!
I believe the Red Pyramid was made by the Atlanteans, too. Not sure about the Bent Pyramid, which looks to be a copy. The most telling part of that is that many of the pyramids dated afyer the Giza complex have collapsed, so they look to be inferior knock-offs or copies of the originals.
Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #396 on: April 13, 2008, 03:59:15 pm »

Brooke

Member # 2806

Member Rated:
   posted 11-18-2006 11:40 PM                       
Libraries in the sand reveal Africa's academic past By Nick Tattersall
Fri Nov 10, 4:54 AM ET

TIMBUKTU, Mali (Reuters) - Researchers in Timbuktu are fighting to preserve tens of thousands of ancient texts which they say prove Africa had a written history at least as old as the European Renaissance.

Private and public libraries in the fabled Saharan town in Mali have already collected 150,000 brittle manuscripts, some of them from the 13th century, and local historians believe many more lie buried under the sand.

The texts were stashed under mud homes and in desert caves by proud Malian families whose successive generations feared they would be stolen by Moroccan invaders, European explorers and then French colonialists.

Written in ornate calligraphy, some were used to teach astrology or mathematics, while others tell tales of social and business life in Timbuktu during its "Golden Age," when it was a seat of learning in the 16th century.

"These manuscripts are about all the fields of human knowledge: law, the sciences, medicine," said Galla Dicko, director of the Ahmed Baba Institute, a library housing 25,000 of the texts.

"Here is a political tract," he said, pointing to a script in a glass cabinet, somewhat dog-eared and chewed by termites. "A letter on good governance, a warning to intellectuals not to be corrupted by the power of politicians."

Bookshelves on the wall behind him contain a volume on maths and a guide to Andalusian music as well as love stories and correspondence between traders plying the trans-Saharan caravan routes.

Timbuktu's leading families have only recently started to give up what they see as ancestral heirlooms. They are being persuaded by local officials that the manuscripts should be part of the community's shared culture.

"It is through these writings that we can really know our place in history," said Abdramane Ben Essayouti, Imam of Timbuktu's oldest mosque, Djingarei-ber, built from mud bricks and wood in 1325.

HEAT, DUST AND TERMITES

Experts believe the 150,000 texts collected so far are just a fraction of what lies hidden under centuries of dust behind the ornate wooden doors of Timbuktu's mud-brick homes.

"This is just 10 percent of what we have. We think we have more than a million buried here," said Ali Ould Sidi, a government official responsible for managing the town's World Heritage Sites.

Some academics say the texts will force the West to accept Africa has an intellectual history as old as its own. Others draw comparisons with the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

But as the fame of the manuscripts spreads, conservationists fear those that have survived centuries of termites and extreme heat will be sold to tourists at extortionate prices or illegally trafficked out of the country.

South Africa is spearheading "Operation Timbuktu" to protect the texts, funding a new library for the Ahmed Baba Institute, named after a Timbuktu-born contemporary of William Shakespeare.

The United States and Norway are helping with the preservation of the manuscripts, which South African President Thabo Mbeki has said will "restore the self respect, the pride, honor and dignity of the people of Africa."

The people of Timbuktu, whose universities were attended by 25,000 scholars in the 16th century but whose languid pace of life has been left behind by modernity, have similar hopes.

"The nations formed a single line and Timbuktu was at the head. But one day, God did an about-turn and Timbuktu found itself at the back," a local proverb goes.

"Perhaps one day God will do another about-turn so that Timbuktu can retake its rightful place," it adds.

--------------------
"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein

Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #397 on: April 13, 2008, 03:59:56 pm »

rockessence

Member # 1839

Member Rated:
   posted 11-19-2006 10:32 AM                       
Great to read the above Brooke. Makes perfect sense. I suspect that there will be found manuscripts much older as well.

--------------------
"Illigitimi non carborundum!"
All knowledge is to be used in the manner that will give help and assistance to others, and the desire is that the laws of the Creator be manifested in the physical world. E.Cayce 254-17

Posts: 3128 | From: Port Townsend WA | Registered: Feb 2004
Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #398 on: April 13, 2008, 04:00:18 pm »

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 11-19-2006 04:36 PM                       
Boy, we haven't seen this thread in awhile. Glad it was brought back...
Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #399 on: April 13, 2008, 04:01:44 pm »

~Finis~
Report Spam   Logged

TWGilbert

« Reply #400 on: March 23, 2014, 12:47:28 pm »

Is there a remote possibility that Apollonius of Tyanna directed the removal of the most precious of the library's manuscripts secretly before the major Roman Burning and placing them all on boats and transporting them elsewhere in the world and hiding those manuscripts in a very secret and safe place for later discovery sometime in the future?
Report Spam   Logged
+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #401 on: March 24, 2014, 10:36:24 pm »

You know, it is difficult to think that, had they done that, they wouldn't have been discovered already. And, we must re,member the library was destroyed three times - by the Romans, Christians and the Muslims. All that knowledge lost, what a crime.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: