Atlantis Online
April 17, 2024, 09:08:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Library of Alexandria (Original)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Library of Alexandria (Original)  (Read 11664 times)
Raven

« Reply #195 on: April 10, 2008, 01:19:06 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 01-05-2006 06:36 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chronos;

What more can YOU say about Aristotle?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the death of Plato (347 BC), Aristotle was considered as the next head of the Academy, a post that was eventually awarded to Plato's nephew. Aristotle then went with Xenocrates to the court of Hermias, ruler of Atarneus in Asia Minor, and married his niece and adopted daughter, Pythia. In 344 BC, Hermias was murdered in a rebellion, and Aristotle went with his family to Mytilene. It is also reported that he stopped on Lesbos and briefly conducted biological research. Then, one or two years later, he was summoned to Pella, the Macedonian capital, by King Philip II of Macedon to become the tutor of Alexander the Great, who was then 13.

Seems you've said quite enough for the jurors...Chronos. 

but alas, continue, so the longer path is trodden....

[ 01-05-2006, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: Riven ]
Posts: 4050 | From: Azores Atlantis Isles. | Registered: May 2003   
Report Spam   Logged
Raven

« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2008, 01:19:23 pm »

Brooke

Member # 2806

Member Rated:
   posted 01-05-2006 11:55 PM                       
Alright, you can probably see why Aristotle may have had some ill will towards Plato. Anyone care to guess why Plato passed Aristotle over for the post of head of the Academy?

What didn't he see in his philosophy, or was it all just personal?

--------------------
"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein

Report Spam   Logged
Raven

« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2008, 01:19:49 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 01-06-2006 06:37 AM                       
Brooke, it's the same reason for this character...

posted 01-06-2006 07:08 AM
Actualy, Brig and Smiley, it's quite amusing
how the blood of brine
sit in their corners watching
driven by madness for the little "beep"
that goes off inside their head
when their monitors wake them from sleep....

RIVEN'S ONLINE!.........

then the grand charade
of the tools of thier trade
ping like japanese pongs...

Firewalls are a beautiful way of tracking
the bloods of brine....

from 4-9, becomes 20 to life, the easy way...

You know, "loopers are quite full of bloopers"..

tis clever they to bridge the alarm....

Now go back into your closets with your pee wee herman magazine........

how grand, how deuce, was the scheme....

hmmmmm, I wonder how many milliseconds I could ping the FBI....

oh, it's simply delicious.....said Stewie....

aah yes...The Wixard of Ox....

The Great Mendacium Lepers of the Ring.

--------------------
[R]..Riven-The Seer and Royal-Bloodline to Atlantis..[R]

Welcome to IFCC

The Internet Fraud Complaint Center (IFCC) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C).

IFCC's mission is to address fraud committed over the Internet. For victims of Internet fraud, IFCC provides a convenient and easy-to-use reporting mechanism that alerts authorities of a suspected criminal or civil violation. For law enforcement and regulatory agencies at all levels, IFCC offers a central repository for complaints related to Internet fraud, works to quantify fraud patterns, and provides timely statistical data of current fraud trends.

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

Operation Cyber Sweep.
http://www.ifccfbi.gov/strategy/CyberSweepSummary.pdf

Contact Us

http://www.ifccfbi.gov/contactus.asp

reply from 205.200.78.71

32 bytes 36ms TTL = 59.

hmmm, 36 ms to ping the FBI eh.....

I think the Judge would agree with 36 years....

for a certain someone over at SBC.Global..

--------------------
.111.[R].Riven The Seer and Royal Bloodline to Atlantis.[R].111.

Report Spam   Logged
Raven

« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2008, 01:20:08 pm »

Herr_Saltzman

Member # 2738

posted 01-06-2006 04:37 PM                   
Riven,

Aristotle was a great man, more intelligent than Plato.

Now, why do Japanese pongs have anything to do with the Library of Alexandria?

Are you all right, Riven?

--------------------
Cheers, and Good Mental Health,
Herr Saltzman

http://forums.atlantisrising.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001530;p=10

Posts: 1245 | From: Vienna, Austria | Registered: Sep 2005   
Report Spam   Logged
Raven

« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2008, 01:20:37 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 01-07-2006 02:36 AM                       
Faith and Chronos, and Sarah;

The Tales from the Westcar Papyrus

http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/texts/westcar_papyrus.htm

Djedi the magician

(his years are a hundred and ten: the ideal life span)

Djedi the magician

King Khufu said: "And who is he, my son?"

"His name is Dedi," answered Prince Hordadef. "He is a very old man, for his years are a hundred and ten. Each day he eats a joint of beef and five hundred loaves of bread, and drinks a hundred jugs of beer. He can smite off the head of a living creature and restore it again; he can make a lion follow him; and he knows the secrets of the habitation of the god Thoth, which Your Majesty has desired to know so that you may design the chambers of your pyramid."

King Khufu said: "Go now and find this man for me, Hordadef."

The prince went down to the Nile, boarded a boat, and sailed southward until he reached the town called Dedsnefru, where Dedi had his dwelling. He went ashore, and was carried in his chair of state towards the magician, who was found lying at his door. When Dedi was awakened, the king's son saluted him and bade him not to rise up because of his years. The prince said: "My royal father desires to honour you, and will provide for you a tomb among your people."

Dedi blessed the prince and the king with thankfulness, and he said to Hordadef: "Greatness be thine; may your Ka have victory over the powers of evil, and may your Khu follow the path which leads to Paradise."
Hordadef assisted Dedi to rise up, and took his arm to help him towards the ship. He sailed away with the prince, and in another ship were his assistants and his magic books.

"Health and strength and plenty be thine," said Hordadef, when he again stood before his royal father King Khufu. "I have come down stream with Dedi, the great magician."

His Majesty was well pleased, and said: "Let the man be brought into my presence."

Dedi came and saluted the king, who said: "Why have I not seen you before?"

"He that is called cometh," answered the old man; "you have sent for me and I am here."

"It is told," King Khufu said, "that you can restore the head that is taken from a live creature."

"I can indeed, Your Majesty," answered Dedi.

The king said: "Then let a prisoner be brought forth and decapitated."

"I would rather it were not a man," said Dedi; "I do not deal even with cattle in such a manner."

A duck was brought forth and its head was cut off, and the head was thrown to the right and the body to the left. Dedi spoke magic words. Then the head and the body came together, and the duck rose up and quacked loudly. The same was done with a goose.

King Khufu then caused a cow to be brought in, and its head was cut off. Dedi restored the animal to life again, and caused it to follow him.

His Majesty then spoke to the magician and said: "It is told that you possess the secrets of the dwelling of the god Thoth."

Dedi answered: "I do not possess them, but I know where they are concealed, and that is within a temple chamber at Heliopolis. There the plans are kept in a box, but it is no insignificant person who shall bring them to Your Majesty."

"I would fain know who will deliver them unto me," King Khufu said.

Dedi prophesied that three sons would be born to Rud-dedit, wife of the chief priest of Ra. The eldest would become chief priest at Heliopolis and would possess the plans. He and his brothers would one day sit upon the throne and rule over all the land.

King Khufu's heart was filled with gloom and alarm when he heard the prophetic words of the great magician.

Dedi then said: "What are your thoughts, O King? Behold your son will reign after you, and then his son. But next, one of these children will follow." (not of Khufu's blood-Riven)

King Khufu was silent. Then he spoke and asked: "When shall these children be born?"

Dedi informed His Majesty, who said: "I will visit the temple of Ra at that time."

Dedi was honoured by His Majesty, and thereafterwards dwelt in the house of the Prince Hordadef. He was given daily for his portion an ox, a thousand loaves of bread, a hundred jugs of beer, and a hundred bunches of onions.

The day came when the sons of the woman Rud-dedit were to be born. Then the high priest of Ra, her husband,prayed unto the goddess Isis and her sister Nepthys; to Meskhent, goddess of birth; and to the frog goddess Hekt; and to the creator god Khnumu, who gives the breath of life. These he entreated to have care of the three babes who were to become three kings of Egypt, one after the other.

The deities heard him. Then came the goddesses as dancing girls, who went about the land, and the god Khnumu followed them as their burden bearer. When they reached the door of the high priest's dwelling they danced before him. He entreated them to enter, and they did according to his desire, and shut themselves in the room with the woman Rud-dedit.

Isis called the first child who was born Userkaf, and said: "Let no evil be done by him". The goddess Meskhent prophesied that he would become King of Egypt. Khnumu, the creator god, gave the child strength.

The second babe was named Sahura by the goddess Isis. Meskhent prophesied that he also would become a king. Khnumu gave him his strength.

The third was called Kaka. Meskhent said: "He shall also be a king", and Khnumu gave him strength.

Ere the dancing girls took their departure the high priest gave a measure of barley to their burden bearer, and Khnumu carried it away upon his shoulders. They all went upon their way, and Isis said: "Now let us work a wonder on behalf of these children, so that their father may know who hath sent us unto his house.

Royal crowns were fashioned and concealed in the measure of barley which had been given them. Then the deities caused a great storm to arise, and in the midst of it they returned to the dwelling of the high priest, and they put the barley in a cellar, and sealed it, saying they would return again and take it away.

It came to pass that after fourteen days Rud-dedit bade her servant to bring barley from the cellar so that beer might be made. The girl said: "There is none left save the measure which was given unto the dancing girls."

"Bring that then," said Rud-dedit, "and when the dancing girls return I will give them its value."

When the servant entered the cellar she heard the low sounds of sweet music and dancing and song. She went and told her mistress of this wonder, and Rud-dedit entered the cellar, and at first could not discover whence the mysterious sounds issued forth. At length she placed her ear against the sack which contained the barley given to the dancing girls, and found that the music was within it. She at once placed the sack in a chest and locked it, and then told her husband, and they rejoiced together.

Now it happened that one day Rud-dedit was angry with her servant, and smote her heavily. The girl vowed that she would be avenged and said:

"Her three children will become kings. I will inform King Khufu of this matter."

So the servant went away and visited her uncle, who was her mother's eldest brother. Unto him she told all that had happened and all she knew regarding the children of her mistress.

He was angry with her and spoke, saying: "Why come to me with this secret? I cannot consent to make it known as you desire."

Then he struck the girl, who went afterwards to draw water from the Nile. On the bank a crocodile seized her, and she was devoured. (she was most likely murdered-Riven)

The man then went towards the dwelling of Rud-dedit and he found her mourning with her head upon her knees. He spoke, saying: "Why is your heart full of gloom?"

Rud-dedit answered him: "Because my servant girl went away to reveal my secret."

The man bowed and said: "Behold! she came unto me and told me all things. But I struck her, and she went towards the river and was seized by a crocodile."

So was the danger averted. Nor did King Khufu ever discover the babes regarding whom Dedi had prophesied. In time they sat upon the throne of Egypt.

Source: Donald Mackenzie, Egyptian Myth and Legend 1907

Ra: The Re worship became increasingly important during the 4th and 5th dynasties. Since Djedefre (c. 2413-2381) the pharaohs bore the title of Son of Re.

The first three pharaohs of the 5th dynasty were
Userkaf c. 2494-2487
Sahure c. 2487-2475
Neferirkare c. 2475-2455

This story may have been conceived as a justification for the accession of the 5th dynasty kings. But it is likely that these pharaohs belonged to the same group of noble families as - and possibly even descended from - the 4th dynasty.

Nepthys: sister of Isis
Meskhent: Personification of the birth brick. Announces the destiny of the newly born.
Heket: Female counterpart of Khnum, worshiped in Herur. Assists at birth. Was part of the circle of gods around Osiris at Abydos.

The stories in the Westcar Papyrus are thought to have been composed during the Middle Kingdom or the Second Intermediate Period.
Khufu: c. 2585-2566
Khafre: c. 2558-2532
Ptah: city god of Memphis
wax: frequently used by magicians for modelling (cf. p. Rollin or the demotic magical papyrus.)

[ 01-07-2006, 02:38 AM: Message edited by: Riven ]

--------------------

Report Spam   Logged
Raven

« Reply #200 on: April 10, 2008, 01:25:17 pm »

Author  Topic: Library of Alexandria 
Sarah

Member # 2812

Member Rated:
   posted 01-07-2006 02:25 PM                       
Nice work, Riven, I found another two. Aren't there five in all?

The Tales from the Westcar Papyrus

King Khufu sat to hear tales told by his sons regarding the wonders of other days and the doings of magicians. The Prince Khafra stood before him and related the ancient story of the wax crocodile.

The Wax Crocodile

Once upon a time a Pharaoh went towards the temple of the god Ptah. His counsellors and servants accompanied him. It chanced that he paid a visit to the villa of the chief scribe, behind which there was a garden with a stately summer house and a broad artificial lake. Among those who followed Pharaoh was a handsome youth, and the scribe's wife beheld him with love. Soon afterwards she sent gifts unto him, and they had secret meetings. They spent a day in the summer house, and feasted there, and in the evening the youth bathed in the lake. The chief butler then went to his master and informed him what had come to pass.
The scribe bade the servant to bring a certain magic box, and when he received it he made a small wax crocodile, over which he muttered a spell. He placed it in the hands of the butler, saying: "Cast this image into the lake behind the youth when next he bathes himself."
On another day, when the scribe dwelt with Pharaoh, the lovers were together in the summer house, and at eventide the youth went into the lake. The butler stole through the garden, and stealthily he cast into the water the wax image, which was immediately given life. It became a great crocodile that seized the youth suddenly and took him away.
Seven days passed, and then the scribe spoke to the Pharaoh regarding the wonder which had been done, and made request that His Majesty should accompany him to his villa. The Pharaoh did so, and when they both stood beside the lake in the garden the scribe spoke magic words, bidding the crocodile to appear. As he commanded, so did it do. The great reptile came out of the water carrying the youth in its jaws.
The scribe said: "Lo! it shall do whatever I command to be done."
Said the Pharaoh: "Bid the crocodile to return at once to the lake."
Ere he did that, the scribe touched it, and immediately it became a small image of wax again. The Pharaoh was filled with wonder, and the scribe related unto him all that had happened, while the youth stood waiting.
Said His Majesty unto the crocodile: "Seize the wrongdoer."
The wax image was again given life, and, clutching the youth, leaped into the lake and disappeared. Nor was it ever seen after that. Then Pharaoh gave command that the wife of the scribe should be seized. On the north side of the house she was bound to a stake and burned alive, and what remained of her was thrown into the Nile.

Such was the tale told by Khafra. Khufu was well pleased, and caused offerings of food and refreshment to be placed in the tombs of the Pharaoh and his wise servant.
Prince Khafra stood before His Majesty, and said: "I will relate a marvel which happened in the days of King Sneferu, thy father." Then he told the story of the green jewel. The stories in the Westcar Papyrus are thought to have been composed during the Middle Kingdom or the Second Intermediate Period.
Khufu: c. 2585-2566
Khafre: c. 2558-2532
Ptah: city god of Memphis
wax: frequently used by magicians for modelling (cf. p. Rollin or the demotic magical papyrus.)

The Story of the Green Jewel

Sneferu was one day disconsolate and weary. He wandered about the palace with desire to be cheered, nor was there aught to take the gloom from his mind. He caused his chief scribe to be brought before him, and said: "I would fain have entertainment, but cannot find any in this place."
The scribe said: "Thy Majesty should go boating on the lake, and let the rowers be the prettiest girls in your harem. It will delight your heart to see them splashing the water where the birds dive and to gaze upon the green shores and the flowers and trees. I myself will go with you."
The king consented, and twenty virgins who were fair to behold went into the boat, and they rowed with oars of ebony which were decorated with gold. His Majesty took pleasure in the outing, and the gloom passed from his heart as the boat went hither and thither, and the girls sang together with sweet voices.
It chanced, as they were turning round, an oar handle brushed against the hair of the girl who was steering, and shook from it a green jewel, which fell into the water. She lifted up her oar and stopped singing, and the others grew silent and ceased rowing.
Said Sneferu: "Do not pause; let us go on still farther."
The girls said: "She who steers has lifted her oar."
Said Sneferu to her: "Why have you lifted your oar?"
"Alas, I have lost my green jewel she said it has fallen into the lake."
Sneferu said: "I will give you another; let us go on."
The girl pouted and made answer: "I would rather have my own green jewel again than any other."
His Majesty said to the chief scribe: "I am given great enjoyment by this novelty; indeed my mind is much refreshed as the girls row me up and down the lake. Now one of them has lost her green jewel, which has dropped into the water, and she wants it back again and will not have another to replace it." Sneferu: c. 2613-2589

The chief scribe at once muttered a spell. Then by reason of his magic words the waters of the lake were divided like a lane. He went down and found the green jewel which the girl had lost, and came back with it to her. When he did that, he again uttered words of power, and the waters came together as they were before.
The king was well pleased, and when he had full enjoyment with the rowing upon the lake he returned to the palace. He gave gifts to the chief scribe, and everyone wondered at the marvel which he had accomplished.

the waters of the lake were divided like a lane: cf. Exodus 14, 21 ... the Lord caused the sea to go back by a strong east wind all that night, and made the sea dry land, and the waters were divided. The Hebrew tradition with its strong condemnation of magic gives a 'reasonable' explanation for the occurrence - reasonable, if one believes in an almighty god playing around with the so-called laws of physics. To the Egyptians on the other hand magic was an inseparable part of life, a tool to be embraced rather than shunned.
Such was Khafra's tale of the green jewel, and King Khufu commanded that offerings should be laid in the tombs of Sneferu and his chief scribe, who was a great magician.
Next Prince Hordadef stood before the king, and he said: "Your Majesty has heard tales regarding the wonders performed by magicians in other days, but I can bring forth a worker of marvels who now lives in the kingdom."

http://nefertiti.iwebland.com/texts/westcar_papyrus.htm

--------------------
"If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, may my right hand fail..." - King David, Psalms 137:5

http://www.zwoje-scrolls.com/shoah/index.html

http://www.holocaustchronicle.org/

http://forums.atlantisrising.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000534;p=6
Report Spam   Logged
+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2008, 09:17:04 pm »

Sarah

Member # 2812

Member Rated:
   posted 01-07-2006 02:27 PM                       
King Khufu must have been a man of great stature, even among the Pharoahs.
So, exactly why are they assumed to be forgeries?

--------------------
"If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, may my right hand fail..." - King David, Psalms 137:5

http://www.zwoje-scrolls.com/shoah/index.html

http://www.holocaustchronicle.org/

Report Spam   Logged

(Psalms) 31:5,
"Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth."
+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2008, 09:17:50 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 01-07-2006 03:47 PM                       
I'm not sure what you mean specificaly by "forgeries", the lineage of Kings from Snofru,Khufu,Khafre and Menkaure, was as you can see a lineage of poisoned blood for Egypt.
I recently posted an article in TOA detailing a little more about Khufu's son's and how they were commiting atrocities of murder even amongst themselves...hence, the seed of Cain.

They were great Kings, but of a different nature that carried the seed into Phoenicia, a seed that grew towards the destruction of nations and The Library of Alexandria.

This era seems to have the highest impact upon the direction of Egypt,until the prodigal Son.

Hence, by then, the tongue was forked, so to say.

The next era of importance is Sesostris II, ca 1860.bC,The Egyptian Hercules, who subjugated Crete,Peleponnesia and Attica.

Then, along came the "Hyksos" ca 1650.bC, and the great wars with Persians and Assyrians through to the new "Middle Kingdom" of corrupted Ramses Kings, who also carried this seed.

Around the time when Solon travelled to Egypt,ca 570.bC, and the Assyrians were poised upon Egypt, The Highest Priest of Sais, Uadjahor-Resne, finaly revealed the Truth of Atlantis, a once great parent of the entire mediterranean.

Then along came Alexander, who built the Great Library and conquered the known world...but as we read on, it becomes clear what the true intent of Aristotle was, partially for having lost the favor of Alexanders Father, King Phillip of Macedonia.

It is pure irony, that these Macedonians also invaded Troy, which we could think of as a pre-Alexander period ca 1200.bC.

------------------------------------------------
So we see two of the greatest poisons, "Conquer the World" and "They Shall be put to Death".

Here's some more research for Alexandria.

Authors of Alexandria.

Proclus of Diadochus 411-485.aD. Constantinople.

Proclus's father, Particius, and his mother, Marcella, were citizens of high social position in Lycia. Particius was a senior law official in the courts at Byzantium. Proclus was brought up at Xanthus, on the south coast of Lycia, where he attended school.

He returned to Alexandria where now he studied philosophy under Olympiodorus the Elder, in particular making a deep study of the works of Aristotle.

Proclus was not entirely satisfied with the education he was receiving in philosophy in Alexandria so, while still a teenager, he moved from Alexandria to Athens where he studied at Plato's Academy under the philosophers Plutarch and Syrianus (a pupil of Plutarch). He progressed from being a student at the Academy to teaching there then, on the death of Syrianus, Proclus became head of the Academy. The title Diadochus was given to him at this time, the meaning of the word being successor.

Proclus was to remain as head of the Academy until his death.

He followed the neoplatonist philosophy which Plotinus founded, and Porphyry and Iamblichus developed around 300 AD. Other developers of these ideas were Plutarch and Syrianus, the teachers of Proclus.

seven hymns preserved.

... for Proclus the "Elements of Euclid" had the good fortune not to be contradicted either by the Chaldean Oracles or by the speculations of Pythagoreans old and new.

it is against [the principles of geometry] that most critics of geometry have raised objections, endeavouring to show that these parts are not firmly established. Of those in this group whose arguments have become notorious some, such as the Sceptics, would do away with all knowledge ... whereas others, like the Epicureans, propose only to discredit the principles of geometry. Another group of critics, however, admit the principles but deny that the propositions coming after the principles can be demonstrated unless they grant something that is not contained in the principles. This method of controversy was followed by Zeno of Sidon, who belonged to the school of Epicurus and against whom Posidonius has written a whole book and shown that his views are thoroughly unsound.

Among Proclus's many works are Liber de causis (Book of Causes), Institutio theologica (Elements of Theology), a concise exposition of metaphysics, Elements of Physics, largely giving Aristotle's views, and In Platonis theologiam (Platonic Theology) giving Plato's metaphysics. His contribution is well summarised in [1] as follows:-

Proclus deserves to be remembered ... for the qualities he possessed that are exceedingly rare in any age and were almost unique in his: the logical clarity and firmness of his thought, the acuteness of his analyses, his eagerness to understand and readiness to present the views of his predecessors on controversial issues, the sustained coherence of his lengthy expositions, and the large horizon, as broad as the whole of being, within which his thinking moved.

Aristotle-Born: 384 BC in Stagirus, Macedonia, Greece
..........Died: 322 BC in Chalcis, Euboea, Greece

Aristotle, more than any other thinker, determined the orientation and the content of Western intellectual history. He was the author of a philosophical and scientific system that through the centuries became the support and vehicle for both medieval Christian and Islamic scholastic thought: until the end of the 17th century, Western culture was Aristotelian. And, even after the intellectual revolutions of centuries to follow, Aristotelian concepts and ideas remained embedded in Western thinking.

Aristotle was born in Stagirus, or Stagira, or Stageirus, on the Chalcidic peninsula of northern Greece. His father was Nicomachus, a medical doctor, while his mother was named Phaestis. Nicomachus was certainly living in Chalcidice when Aristotle was born and he had probably been born in that region. Aristotle's mother, Phaestis, came from Chalcis in Euboea and her family owned property there.

(Seems rather amusing for one to wonder if Aristotle could also have been Chalcidius consider this also...When Aristotle was about ten years old his father died-Riven)

Aristotle was brought up by a guardian, Proxenus of Atarneus, who was his uncle

In 367 BC Aristotle, at the age of seventeen, became a student at Plato's Academy in Athens

Plato was not in Athens, but rather he was on his first visit to Syracuse

We should not think of Plato's Academy as a non-political organisation only interested in abstract ideas. The Academy was highly involved in the politics of the time, in fact Plato's visit to Sicily was for political reasons, and the politics of the Academy and of the whole region would play a major role in influencing the course of Aristotle's life.

When Aristotle arrived in Athens, the Academy was being run by Eudoxus of Cnidos in Plato's absence. Speusippus, Plato's nephew, was also teaching at the Academy as was Xenocrates of Chalcedon. After being a student, Aristotle soon became a teacher at the Academy and he was to remain there for twenty years. We know little regarding what Aristotle taught at the Academy. In [10] Diogenes Laertius, writing in the second century AD, says that Aristotle taught rhetoric and dialectic. Certainly Aristotle wrote on rhetoric at this time, issuing Gryllus which attacked the views on rhetoric of Isocrates, who ran another major educational establishment in Athens. All Aristotle's writings of this time strongly support Plato's views and those of the Academy.

Amyntas III, king of Macedonia.

Two of Amyntas's sons, Alexander II and Perdiccas III, each reigned Macedonia for a time but the kingdom suffered from both internal disputes and external wars. In 359 BC Amyntas's third son, Philip II came to the throne when Perdiccas was killed fighting off an Illyrian invasion.

Philip captured Olynthus and annexed Chalcidice in 348 BC. Stagirus, the town of Aristotle's birth, held out for a while but was also defeated by Philip. Athens worried about the powerful threatening forces of Macedonia, and yet Aristotle had been brought up at the Court of Macedonia and had probably retained his friendship with Philip.

Plato died in 347 BC and Speusippus assumed the leadership of the Academy. Aristotle was certainly opposed to the views of Speusippus and he may have left the Academy following Plato's death for academic reasons or because he failed to be named head of the Academy himself. Some sources, however, suggest that he may have left for political reasons before Plato died because of his unpopularity due to his Macedonian links.

Aristotle travelled from Athens to Assos which faces the island of Lesbos. He was not alone in leaving the Academy for Xenocrates of Chalcedon left with him. In Assos Aristotle was received by the ruler Hermias of Atarneus with much acclaim. It is likely that Aristotle was acting as an ambassador for Philip and he certainly was treated as such by Hermias. Aristotle married Pythias, the niece and adopted daughter of Hermias, and they had one child, a daughter also called Pythias. However, Aristotle's wife died about 10 years after their marriage. It is thought that she was much younger than Atistotle, being probably of age of about 18 when they married.

On Assos, Aristotle became the leader of the group of philosophers which Hermias had gathered there.

On Kingship which is now lost

Aristotle probably begun his work Politics on Assos as well as On Kingship which is now lost. He began to develop a philosophy distinct from that of Plato who had said the kings should be philosophers and philosophers kings. In On Kingship Aristotle wrote that it is:-

... not merely unnecessary for a king to be a philosopher, but even a disadvantage. Rather a king should take the advice of true philosophers. Then he would fill his reign with good deeds, not with good words.

However, Aristotle's time in Assos was ended by political events. The Persians attacked the town and Hermias was captured and executed. Aristotle escaped and stopped on the island of Lesbos on his way to Macedonia. It was more than a passing visit for he remained there for about a year and must have had the group of scientists from Assos with him for they continued their biological researches there.

Macedonia was now at peace with Athens, for Philip had made a treaty in 346 BC. In 343 BC Aristotle reached the Court of Macedonia and he was to remain there for seven years. The often quoted story that he became tutor to the young Alexander the Great, the son of Philip, is almost certainly a later invention as was pointed out by Jaeger, see [16]. Grayeff in [12] suggests that Philip saw in Aristotle a future head of the Academy in Athens. Certainly this would have suited Philip well for Speusippus, the then head of the Academy, was strongly opposed to Philip and strongly encouraging Athens to oppose the rise of Macedonia

The treaty between Athens and Macedonia began to fall apart in 340 BC and preparations for war began. The following year Speusippus died but Aristotle, although proposed as head of the Academy, was not elected. The position went to Xenocrates and Philip lost interest in his support for Aristotle.

Aristotle did not marry again after the death of his wife but he did form a relationship with Herpyllis, who came from his home town of Stagirus. It is not clear when they first met but together they had a son, Nicomachus, named after Aristotle's father.

Philip was now at the height of his power but, as so often happens, that proved the time for internal disputes. Aristotle supported Alexander, Philip's son who soon became king. Alexander decided on a policy similar to his father in regard to Athens and sought to assert his power by peaceful means. Alexander protected the Academy and encouraged it to continue with its work. At the same time, however, he sent Aristotle to Athens to found a rival establishment.

In 335 BC Aristotle founded his own school the Lyceum in Athens.

According to a tradition which arose about two hundred and fifty years after his death, which then became dominant and even today is hardly disputed, Aristotle in these same years lectured - not once, but two or three times, in almost every subject - on logic, physics, astronomy, meteorology, zoology, metaphysics, theology, psychology, politics, economics, ethics, rhetoric, poetics; and that he wrote down these lectures, expanding them and amending them several times, until they reached the stage in which we read them. However, still more astounding is the fact that the majority of these subjects did not exist as such before him, so that he would have been the first to conceive of and establish them, as systematic disciplines.

After the death of Alexander the Great in 323 BC, anti-Macedonian feeling in Athens made Aristotle retire to Chalcis where he lived in the house which had once belonged to his mother and was still retained by the family. He died the following year from a stomach complaint at the age of 62.

He was a bit of a dandy, wearing rings on his fingers and cutting his hair fashionably short. He suffered from poor digestion, and is said to have been spindle-shanked. He was a good speaker, lucid in his lectures, persuasive in conversation; and he had a mordant wit. His enemies, who were numerous, made him out to be arrogant and overbearing. ... As a man he was, I suspect, admirable rather than amiable.

Aristotle never intended these 30 works which fill over 2000 printed pages to be published. They are certainly lecture notes from the courses given at the Lyceum either being, as most scholars believe, the work of Aristotle, or of later lecturers. Of course it is distinctly possible that they are notes of courses originally given by Aristotle but later added to by other lecturers after Aristotle's death.

The works were first published in about 60 BC by Andronicus of Rhodes, the last head of the Lyceum. Certainly [2]:-

The form, titles, and order of Aristotle's texts that are studied today were given to them by Andronicus almost three centuries after the philosopher's death, and the long history of commentary upon them began at this stage.

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Mathematicians/Aristotle.html

Andronicus of Rhodes 60.bC
Antiphon
Bryson
Callipus
Euclid
Eudoxus
Hippocrates
Hipparchus
Hippias
Iamblichus
Nicomachus
Proclus
Pythagoras
Plotinus
Porphyry
Posidonius
Ptolemy
Plutarch
Syrianus
Theodorus
Theaetetus
Zeno of Sidon

Mathematicians born before 500 AD
http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~history/Indexes/_500_AD.html
------------------------------------------------------------------

(1680BC-1620BC) Ahmes
(800 BC - 740 BC) Baudhayana
(750 BC - 690 BC) Manava
(624 BC - 546 BC) Thales
(600 BC - 540 BC) Apastamba
(580 BC - 520 BC) Pythagoras
(520 BC - 460 BC) Panini
(499 BC - 428 BC) Anaxagoras
(492 BC - 432 BC) Empedocles
(490 BC - 430 BC) Zeno of Elea
(490 BC - 420 BC) Oenopides
(480 BC - 420 BC) Leucippus
(480 BC - 411 BC) Antiphon
(470 BC - 410 BC) Hippocrates
(465 BC - 398 BC) Theodorus
(460 BC - 400 BC) Hippias
(460 BC - 370 BC) Democritus
(450 BC - 390 BC) Bryson
(428 BC - 350 BC) Archytas
(428 BC - 347 BC) Plato
(415 BC - 369 BC) Theaetetus
(408 BC - 355 BC) Eudoxus
(400 BC - 340 BC) Gan De
(400 BC - 350 BC) Thymaridas
(396 BC - 314 BC) Xenocrates
(390 BC - 320 BC) Dinostratus
(387 BC - 312 BC) Heraclides
(384 BC - 322 BC) Aristotle
(380 BC - 320 BC) Menaechmus
(370 BC - 310 BC) Callippus
(360 BC - 300 BC) Aristaeus
(360 BC - 290 BC) Autolycus
(350 BC - 290 BC) Eudemus
(325 BC - 265 BC) Euclid
(310 BC - 230 BC) Aristarchus
(287 BC - 212 BC) Archimedes
(280 BC - 210 BC) Nicomedes
(280 BC - 206 BC) Chrysippus
(280 BC - 220 BC) Conon
(280 BC - 220 BC) Philon
(276 BC - 197 BC) Eratosthenes
(262 BC - 190 BC) Apollonius
(250 BC - 190 BC) Dionysodorus
(240 BC - 180 BC) Diocles
(200 BC - 140 BC) Zenodorus
(200 BC - 140 BC) Katyayana
(190 BC - 120 BC) Hipparchus
(190 BC - 120 BC) Hypsicles
(180 BC - 120 BC) Perseus
(160 BC - 90 BC) Theodosius
(150 BC - 70 BC) Zeno of Sidon
(135 BC - 51 BC) Posidonius
(130 BC - 70 BC) Luoxia Hong
( 10 BC - AD 60) Geminus

(AD 10 - 75) Heron
(AD 10 - 70) Cleomedes
(AD 60 - 120) Nicomachus
(AD 70 - 135) Theon of Smyrna
(AD 70 - 130) Menelaus
(AD 78 - 139) Zhang Heng
(AD 85 - 165) Ptolemy
(120 - 180) Yavanesvara
(129 - 210) Liu Hong
(160 - 227) Xu Yue
(200 - 284) Diophantus
(220 - 280) Liu Hui
(233 - 309) Porphyry
(240 - 300) Sporus
(290 - 350) Pappus
(300 - 360) Serenus
(335 - 395) Theon
(370 - 415) Hypatia
(400 - 460) Sun Zi
(400 - 470) Xiahou Yang
(411 - 485) Proclus
(420 - 480) Domninus
(430 - 501) Zu Chongzhi
(450 - 500) Marinus
(450 - 520) Zu Geng
(474 - 534) Anthemius
(475 - 524) Boethius
(476 - 550) Aryabhata I
(480 - 540) Eutocius
(490 - 560) Simplicius

(1680BC-1620BC) Ahmes
Ahmes (171)

[ 01-07-2006, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Riven ]
Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2008, 09:18:29 pm »

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 01-07-2006 09:19 PM                       
Welcome back to our side of the forum, Riven, hope you had a good Christmas.

Do you have anything more on the Hyksos? I see the name mentioned a lot around here but don't see them mentioned in ancient history a lot myself.
Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2008, 09:18:56 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 01-07-2006 10:16 PM                       
Just google the noodle Jenni;

My apologies, I hope you had a nice holiday season also, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

One of the Hyksos scripts,which I posted in Atlantis forums, somewhere for it escapes me, is an excellent example and comparison to Critias, even down to "the ending has been lost"

They were around 1650.bC and are in The Kings Lists of Egypt as the Hyksos Kings.

Perhaps, this could have been the new "H" tribes of Phoenicia to come to power and brand their "H" everywhere.

Some new updates for you in my website's Mysterean link, and a brand new logo.

http://www.mts.net/~perasa/Riven_Logo.bmp

I put a little one on the Horse in my Avatar. 

Something a little complex for the simple mind;

http://www.mts.net/~perasa/Giza_Model_Pythagoras_Riven06.GIF

Enjoy!

--------------------

Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2008, 09:19:37 pm »

Brooke

Member # 2806

Member Rated:
   posted 01-08-2006 12:01 AM                       
Who Were the Hyksos?

Unsolved problems in Egyptology: What was the origin of the Hyksos? Who were their first leaders?The term "Hyksos" derives from the expression heka khasewet (Rulers of Foreign Lands), used in Egyptian texts like the Turin King List to describe the rulers of neighboring lands. This expression begins to appear as early as the late Old Kingdom in Egypt, referring to various Nubian chieftains; and as early as the Middle Kingdom, referring to the bedouin chieftains of Syria and Canaan. It is generally accepted that only the six kings of the Fifteenth Dynasty are to properly be called "Hyksos", because not only do they bear Egyptian royal titles, but they are specifically called Hyksos by Manetho. It is generally agreed that these six Hyksos kings of Egypt ruled a total of about 108 years.

Wolfgang Helck argued that the Hyksos were part of massive and widespread Hurrian and Indo-Aryan migrations into the Near East. According to Helck, the Hyksos were Hurrians and part of a Hurrian empire that, he claimed, extended over much of Western Asia at this period.

The names, the order, and even the total number of the Fifteenth Dynasty rulers are not known with any certainty. The names appear in hieroglyphs on monuments and small objects such as jar lids and scarabs. In those instances in which Prenomen and Nomen do not occur together on the same object, there is no certainty that the names belong together as the two names of a single person. This period of Egyptian history is a chronological nightmare that only additional datable archaeological material can resolve.

Manetho's history of Egypt is known only through the works of others, such as Flavius Josephus. These sources do not list the names of the six rulers in the same order. To complicate matters further, the spellings are so distorted that they are useless for chronological purposes; there is no close or obvious connection between the bulk of these names — Salitis, Beon/Bnon, Apachnan/Pachnan, annas/Staan, Apophis, Assis/Archles — and the Egyptian names that appear on scarabs and other objects. The hieroglyphic names of the Fifteenth Dynasty Hyksos rulers as they are known from monuments, scarabs, and other objects are:

Sa-kha-en-ra Shalik (Each name is only found separately.)
Ma-ib-ra Sheshy (?) (Each name is only found separately.)
Mer-woser-ra Yaqob-her (Both names are found together on one scarab.)
Se-woser-en-ra Khayan (Both names are found together.)
Apopi (Three different Prenomens: Aawoserra, Aaqenenra, and Nebkhepeshra)
Aa-sech-ra Khamudy (Each name is only found separately.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyksos

--------------------
"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein

Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2008, 09:20:19 pm »

Brooke

Member # 2806

Member Rated:
   posted 01-08-2006 12:06 AM                       
I'm surprised that the current archaeological trend no longer supports the "invasion" theory:

Was There a Hyksos Invasion?

Manetho's account of the appearance of the Hyksos in Egypt calls it an armed invasion by a horde of foreign barbarians who met little resistance and who subdued the country by military force. It has been claimed that new revolutionary methods of warfare ensured the Hyksos the ascendancy in their invasion. Herbert Winlock in his book The Rise and Fall of the Middle Kingdom in Thebes describes new military hardware, such as the composite bow and most importantly the horse-drawn war chariot, as well as improved arrowheads, various kinds of swords and daggers, a new type of shield, mailed shirts, and the metal helmet. To say that even some of this military hardware had been brought into Egypt by the Hyksos and was not the result of a native Egyptian development does not necessarily point to a violent armed invasion by Asiatic hordes. Simply put, they had superior military hardware, so when military moves were called for, the Hyksos had the preponderance of military might on their side.

Helck supported the idea of an invasion, because it was part of his Hurrian hypothesis. However, the generally accepted view today is reflected as a peaceful infiltration of several different groups of Western Asiatic peoples, mainly Semites, into the eastern Nile Delta during the closing decades of the Middle Kingdom -- in some cases as slaves of the victorious Egyptians. Von Beckerath adds that to suppose any armed invasion of Egypt by Semites from southern Canaan and the Sinai desert is out of the question because the tribes there simply were not strong enough. Furthermore there was no consolidated state in the region from which such a supposed invasion could have been launched. The Hyksos' realm was not the southern extension of a great Hurrian empire, as Helck thought, for the simple reason that there was never any Hurrian empire. Over the years, then, the numbers of these Asiatics in the eastern Delta increased, and gradually they extended their political control over the local Egyptian towns and princedoms there. Finally a point was reached when one group of leaders came to the same conclusion as Pepin the Short did in the Merovingian kingdom so many centuries later when he posed the question whether it was right that one of royal race and who bore the title king but who exercised no effective power in the kingdom should continue to bear the title of king. These Hyksos leaders thereupon took matters into their own hands, attacked and overran the administrative capital at Memphis, and proceeded to make themselves pharaohs.

Nor was there any great Hyksos empire extending over hither Asia, as was once thought. The chief evidence for such a Hyksos empire in Asia consists of a mass of Hyksos scarabs from southwest Canaan, an alabaster jar-lid from Knossos on Crete, and a small granite lion from Baghdad. Scarabs with Hyksos names have even been found as far south as Kerma in the Sudan. All these items have been satisfactorily explained as items of trade, not as indicators of direct political and military control.

--------------------

Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2008, 09:20:45 pm »

Brooke

Member # 2806

Member Rated:
   posted 01-08-2006 12:08 AM                       
The Thebean Offensive

Under Sekenenra Tao (II)

The war against the Hyksos began in the closing years of the Seventeenth Dynasty at Thebes. Later New Kingdom literary tradition has brought one of these Theban kings, Seqenenra Tao (II), into contact with his Hyksos contemporary in the north, Aauserra Apopi. Seqenenra is the father of the ruler above whose advisors counselled against disturbing the accommodation that had been reached with the Asiatics. The tradition took the form of a tale in which the Hyksos king Apopi sent a messenger to Seqenenra in Thebes to demand that the Theban hippopotamus pool be done away with, for the noise of these beasts was such that he was unable to sleep in far-away Avaris. Perhaps the only historical information that can be gleaned from the tale is that Egypt was a divided land, the area of direct Hyksos control being in the north, but the whole of Egypt possibly paying tribute to the Hyksos kings.

Seqenenra participated in active diplomatic posturing, which probably consisted of more than simply exchanging of insults with the Asiatic ruler in the North. He seems to have led military skirmishes against the Hyksos, and judging from the vicious head wound on his mummy in the Cairo Museum, he may have died during one of them. His son and successor, Wadjkheperra Kamose, the last ruler of the Seventeenth Dynasty at Thebes, is credited with the opening campaigns of the Theban war against the Hyksos.

It should be noted that Seqenera Tao has been proposed as the legendary Hiram Abif by the authors of the book The Hiram Key. Per the authors Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas, Hiram Abif (the master mason of King Solomon's Temple in masonic lore) can be traced to the historical personage of Seqenenra.

--------------------

Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #208 on: April 10, 2008, 09:21:19 pm »

Brooke

Member # 2806

Member Rated:
   posted 01-08-2006 12:09 AM                       
Summary

The Hyksos were Asiatics who filtered into the eastern Egyptian Delta around the middle of the Thirteenth Dynasty during a period of internal Egyptian weakness. The Thirteenth Dynasty rulers had moved the capital of the country north to a centrally located town called Itjtawy near Memphis, near the apex of the Delta. Seizing the kingship, the Hyksos ruled Egypt for over one hundred years, composing the Fifteenth Dynasty. The heterogeneous Sixteenth Dynasty was partly Hyksos, but also composed of local Egyptian rulers who had no choice but to go along with their new overlords. This general period of Egyptian weakness and foreign occupation is called the Second Intermediate Period, or more popularly, the Hyksos Period. The local princes in Thebes in the south formed the Seventeenth Dynasty when the Hyksos overran It-tawy and forced the ephemeral rulers there into subservience. These vigorous Theban rulers kept the flame of Egyptian independence alive and finally were able to lead a war of liberation that expelled the Asiatics. The Hyksos rulers and their military forces were driven from Egypt. Egypt was free, and Ahmose and his successors of the Eighteenth Dynasty could turn to the task of reconstruction. Some historians have linked the biblical story of Joseph with the Hyksos regime.

--------------------

Report Spam   Logged

+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #209 on: April 10, 2008, 09:22:03 pm »

Riven

Member # 1495

posted 01-08-2006 04:39 AM                       
The Power of Plato by Riven......

The Power of Alexandria.

The Power of Atlantis....

http://www.mts.net/~perasa/Giza_Model_Pythagoras_Riven06.GIF

Seeing is Believing. 
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: