Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:47:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Library of Alexandria (Original)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Library of Alexandria (Original)  (Read 10736 times)
+Faith+
Superhero Member

« Reply #375 on: April 13, 2008, 03:54:03 pm »

Gwen Parker

Member # 2242

Member Rated:
   posted 03-18-2006 10:58 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice work, Riven.
Did you ever see this reference from Marcellus I highlighted in this passage?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Testimony of Ancient Writers

It only remains now to summarize some of the evidence obtainable from ancient writers, from early race traditions, and from archaic flood-legends.

Aelian in his Varia Historia,[1] states that Theopompus (400 B.C.) recorded an interview between the King of Phrygia and Silenus, in which the latter referred to the existence of a great continent beyond the Atlantic, larger than Asia, Europe and Libya together.

Proclus quotes an extract from an ancient writer who refers to the islands in the sea beyond the Pillars of Hercules (Straits of Gibraltar), and says that the inhabitants of one of these islands had a tradition from their ancestors of an extremely large island called Atlantis, which for a long time ruled over all the islands of the Atlantic Ocean.

Marcellus speaks of seven islands in the Atlantic, and states that their inhabitants preserve the memory of a much greater island, Atlantis, "which had for a long time exercised dominion over the smaller ones."

Diodorus Siculus relates that the Phoenicians discovered "a large island in the Atlantic Ocean beyond the Pillars of Hercules several days' sail from the coast of Africa."

But the greatest authority on this subject is Plato. In the Timaeus he refers to the island continent, while the Critias or Atlanticus is nothing less than a detailed account of the history, arts, manners and customs of

[1. Lib. iii., ch. xviii.]

http://www.sacred-texts.com/atl/soa/soa07.htm

Often a lot of these third party quotations seem to reach in an effort to make the connection with Atlantis, but that one sounds a lot like the Atlantis that Plato wrote of.
Report Spam   Logged

(Psalms) 31:5,
"Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth."
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: