Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 08:48:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: DID A COMET CAUSE A FIRESTORM THAT DEVESTATED NORTH AMERICA 12,900 YEARS AGO?
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1963.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Library of Alexandria (Original)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Library of Alexandria (Original)  (Read 10863 times)
Raven

« Reply #165 on: April 07, 2008, 01:21:54 pm »

+Faith+

Member # 2886

Member Rated:
   posted 01-02-2006 11:19 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Riven, I have looked a little more into who destroyed the Library of Alexandria and believe that the Christians (as usual) have been unfairly maligned in it's destruction.

It's fashionable these days to blame the Christians for everything, but clearly, the Muslims were most responsible:

ALEXANDRIA HISTORY
332 BCE: Founded by the Macedonian king, Alexander the Great, near the fishing village Rhakotis. This act was directed both by political and commercial interests, since the location offered a natural harbour. The harbour facilities were enhanced through the construction of a 1.6 km pier out to the island of Pharos. On Pharos, a lighthouse was erected, which soon came to be considered one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.
323 BCE: Alexander the Great is buried in Alexandria.
305 BCE: Alexandria is made the capital of the kingdom of the Ptolomies.
3rd century BCE: The library of Alexandria is reported to consist of 500,000 volumes.
31 BCE: Ptolemaic forces are beaten by the Romans, and Alexandria falls under Roman control.
116 CE: A revolt among local Jews leads to an annihilation of the Jewish community, and heavy destruction of the city.
215: An ordering to massacre the male population of Alexandria is given by the Roman emperor, Caracalla.
284: Strong persecution of the Christians, and thousands are killed. According to the history of the Coptic church, 144,000 were killed.
4th century: Alexandria is weakened by insurrection, civil war, famine and disease.
391: The Coptic Patriarch instigates violent actions upon the pagan communities in Alexandria, and the temple and library of Serapis are sacked. Among those killed is the famous female scholar Hypatia.
638: Alexandria is besieged and destroyed by Muslim troops, and then abandoned.
646: Alexandria is once again put under Muslim attack, and heavily destroyed. After conquering the city, the Muslims give little attention to Alexandria, and the real decline of the city begins.
968: With the establishment of Cairo as capital and cultural centre, Alexandria loses forever its position as the most important city of Egypt.

http://i-cias.com/e.o/alexandr.htm

You can see that they invaded and destroyed the city twice according to the timeline.

--------------------
(Psalms) 31:5,
"Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 27   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: