Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:28:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists Confirm Historic Massive Flood in Climate Change
http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/news/20060228/

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

TREFOIL symbol of Atlantis ??

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TREFOIL symbol of Atlantis ??  (Read 1570 times)
Mark of Australia

« on: March 13, 2007, 09:31:26 pm »

Hi Everyone 

I hope this thread can funnel in all the relevant info concerning the trefoil symbol found on monuments  and artefacts throughout the ancient world . A trefoil is basically a tri-lobed shape ,like a three-leaf clover.

When I first started researching Atlantis in the late 90's I for some reason got the idea into my head that the trefoil symbol that was used throughout various parts of the ancient world was a tell tale sign of contact with Atlantean culture in those various lands. I cant even recall why I had reason to feel so strongly about that .

The main examples of the trefoil that I uncovered are the funerary bed from Tutankhamens tomb , the decoration on the famous 'Priest-King' statuette found at Mohenjo-Daro  and the reliefs at the large chambered tomb at Newgrange ,Ireland.  There are others but I can't recall them . Needless to say ,I haven't thought about this line of inquiry for some time.

Those examples above are from quite diverse areas and times , although they are all from within the traditionally dated bronze age. In Egypt ,Indus Valley ,Ireland.

We have Gwen to thank for helping me out with the pics ,I would still be stumbling around in the dark if it weren't for her much appreciated helping hand !

It would be safe to say that the trefoil symbol is religious in nature .To give an analogy as an explanation for why it should be found over such diverse times and locations ,I would compare it to the symbol of the crucifix in Christianity . You have various styles of crucifix for various times and places.For example you can see wooden crosses in churches throughout Australia,a land only colonised by Old World civilisation in the last couple of cenuries, or see 'Celtic crosses' carved out of solid rock in Britain during the first millenium, or some jewel encrusted gold crucifix excavated from a 16th century sunken Spanish galleon.They all stem from a point in time though that was the actual crucifiction of the historical figure Jesus. Likewise ,the trefoil symbol I believed to originate at some point on Atlantis .

I wonder if anyone else has come to similar conclusions or noticed the trefoil anywhere .

I think one of the reasons i identified the trefoil with Atlantis is due to Poseidon with his Trident and the city of Atlantis having three rings of water. Very vague but that is just part of it .

My explanation for the symbol in Tuts tomb has to do with the failed Amarna Dynasty, Some of Tuts grave goods including one of his coffins are definately usurped from previous kings who were in Amarna ,possibly Smenkhare or Akhenaten himself. When Akhenaten came to power as I'm sure most of us know,there was a pole shift in the monarchy ,he basically changed the religion ,the capital ,and along with that ,Egypts allies ,evidence coming from the Amarna letters. Basically ,I suggest that Egypt was enemy with Atlantis during the New Kingdom but Akhenaten changed that and courted there friendship ,receiving gifts ,some of which found there way into Tuts tomb. I know this sounds very precarious .There are a lot of assumptions and theories that go into this conclusion but there is not space enough here to go into detail .It obviously concerns the volatile international relations of the Bronze Age,of which the Atlanteans played a vital part through there maritime power and trade power.

As for the trefoil on the Mohenjo-Daro statuette ,I have always found potential Atlantean influence on the Indus Valley culture very intriguing and baffling . The implications are astounding,since it shows Atlantis to really have had world-wide influence .Others will argue that Atlantis had influence in that region because Atlantis was in the Indian Ocean,I dont subscribe to that view. It has come to light in recent years that the Indus Civilisation was more extensive than previously believed .It would have been a very lucrative trading partner ,even if not directly associated with Atlantis,I do believe it was though at some point in its history during the 3rd and 2nd millenium BC. Even  professional archaelogists acknowledge a flourishing trade system that connected the Indian Ocean region with Mediterranean cultures via the Euphrates River. (I had better find the quote for that ,,I will if someone insists  Smiley )
  Oh, another thing i noticed that may have a bearing on this subject is that I see an uncanny similarity between the idealized style of how one of the Priest-King statuette's EARS is shaped and one of the ears on the famous so-called Death Mask of Agamemnon that was excavated at Mycenae in Greece by none other than Heinrich Schliemann. This to me suggests cultural contact atleast between the maritime power of Bronze age Greece and the Indus Valley ,but perhaps a better explanation is that the common source for this similarity is Atlantis.    Again , you gotta see the pics.

Lastly ,the trefoil at Newgrange ,well it is a trefoil made out of spirals actually . We are in the Atlantic now,Ireland, also an an Atlantic island, we are getting closer to the source it seems. It is also the oldest depiction of the trefoil that I am aware of ,being dated to around 3000 BC . Interesting how the shamrock ,or three leafed clover,is the symbol of Ireland to this day .  Oh that reminds me !  I also read that in the Arabian Peninsula there is an ancient  three leaf clover-like symbol that is also called by a similar name to shamrock ,ie sham-raq  ,(something like that anyway) (that might interest BlueHue Smiley)   ..I remember being excited about that find.
;'Shams' means Sun in arabic. It could be to do with a solar deity ,a kind of trinity involving the sun ,and could have some connection with the later christian religious doctrines.
             It seems that a lot of Atlantis research centres around this sort of grand speculation of a world wide influence ,and I think it is of great value but it cannot be stressed enough the importance of finding 'real' evidence. I admit to being a little tired of these kind of speculations,hence me forgetting about a lot of what I had 'figured out'....

So I put this out here to see if someone can use these observations and make some other important observation for all our benefit.

Oh, I think the trefoil symbol has been identified with Atlantis by others before ,again ,I cant recall who by though .  I do recall that on Maxine Ashers website is the famous trefoil of Newgrange used as decoration on the margin as if it were an important symbol of Atlantis.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:36:40 am by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:51:53 am »

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 01:33:53 am by Gwen Parker » Report Spam   Logged
Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:54:14 am »

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 01:34:47 am by Gwen Parker » Report Spam   Logged
Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 12:56:04 am »

Newgrange_Entrance_Stone.jpg
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 01:36:10 am by Gwen Parker » Report Spam   Logged
Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 01:37:22 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 02:28:13 am »

Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 01:59:33 am »

I'd thought I'd seen the trefoil on Malta in a temple plan but it turns out that it may just be due to the interference of modern man .It seems the ancient Maltese didnt value the trefoil spiral, but the quadruple spiral ...maybe a different doctrine ??

nikas ,help me out  Wink

http://www.megalithics.com/europe/malta/mnajdra/mnajdra1/mnj1main.htm
Report Spam   Logged
Rebecca
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 04:59:04 am »

The spiral is seen in just about all of the ancient cultures of the world. If they have one thing in common, it's that. I'm not really sure it emans anything, though.  The spiral is drawn a little differently each time, so it's hard to imagine they were all the work of the same people.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 05:31:27 am »

yeah the spiral is everywhere ...  i meant the trefoil and its various representation ,,its not as common as the spiral.

and welcome to the forums  Rebecca
Report Spam   Logged
Rebecca
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 05:42:43 am »

Thank you.  Just read your opening post.

If you don't think that Atlantis was in Indonesia, why do you think they had any influence in the Indus Valley, the Indian writings?
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 05:54:56 am »

good question ,, I guess all i can say is that through trade via the Euphrates ,Indus Valley was very important to Atlantis and so they maybe intermarried to form a close alliance ... it's a long shot i know ,,  I am content to concede that there may not have been any direct contact. Maybe Atlantean mariners did visit at some point but that doesn't necessarily mean they got along with one another ...They might have hated eachothers guts ! ,to put it delicately  Tongue

do  u have any particular view Rebecca ?   

Reading between the lines ,is it possible that  u subscribe to the Prof. Santos' theory ??

I should say ,, the late Prof. Santos' theory Cry
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 05:59:21 am by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged
Rebecca
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 06:20:22 am »

I think that Professor Santos has some interesting ideas and I would like to know more about his flooded Indonesia, but I don't think that it had anything to do with Atlantis either.  It was too far away from both Greece and Egypt.

I think that Atlantis had something to do with the Canary Islands.  It's close by, the Guanches customs resemble those of the Atlanteans, they are of a differnt ethnicity and they have memories of an ancient cataclysm. I also think that they may have helped found Egypt and gave birth to their line of pharoahs.  It all fits, if you include the Guanches.
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 06:29:45 am »

oh  of course ,the Guanches are some of the best evidence,especially because of there location ... and i have never heard anyone try to say that the Guanches must have heard the story of Atlantis by Plato and then added it too their own stories ...  the Guanches evidence is undeniable I think.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 02:02:26 am by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: