Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:33:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Question of Morality (Original)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Question of Morality (Original)  (Read 7936 times)
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2007, 01:25:33 pm »

bluducky

Member # 1880

Member Rated:
   posted 03-12-2005 09:01 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Many muslims today practice polygamy also. Indonesia is a good example.

Having just 'joined' this thread for the first time, and realizing it has come to be about sexual morality, I think i'll stay ... but only for the stories!

Veronica ,

Am I correct in assuming that:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
..I don't think that anyone should be allowed to take a second spouse. They should either get a divorce or just fool around.

means that you will allow a married person to 'fool around' with someone who is NOT their spouse?

However, coupled with this:

quote:
 I feel that polygamy in any guise is immoral

I don't think I understand completely...

Which is it?

Ishtar,

quote:
Actually it would not bother me if a man had more then one mate, or a woman.

My mother agrees with this idea of polygamy.

Why? because the more women a man has, the less pressure will be to sexually please the man

Bottom line: IF all parties are fully CONSENTING, agreeing to live like that, then polygamy, is just as okay as ANY other form of coupling.

Posts: 1626 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 2004   
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2007, 01:25:50 pm »

Archangel

Member # 2097

Member Rated:
   posted 03-12-2005 10:12 PM                       
Calvin, I consider myself a religious man, too, but one thing I've learned: you can't browbeat or pressure another into having the same beliefs that you do. They must come by their own beliefs in their own time. The path is also different from person to person, there is more than one pathway to redemption. There has to be, else most of the religions of the world would be wrong.
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2007, 01:26:08 pm »

Archangel

Member # 2097

Member Rated:
   posted 03-12-2005 10:15 PM                       
I may be old-fashioned, but my beliefs run something like this: one man, one woman (or, if you prefer, one partner apiece). And it doesn't have anything to do with religious reasons either. Personally, I just haven't ever been much interested in fooling around.
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2007, 01:26:27 pm »

Aristotle

Member # 2244

Member Rated:
   posted 03-13-2005 12:23 AM                       
Calvin, I hope you realize how asinine your latest statements are coming across to the rest of us (probably not). Whatever credibility you had before in this forum - what little there was - is now erased.
Calvin: portrait of a deranged fundamentalist, coming unglued.

You are the Charlie Brown of Atlantis Rising. Each time you try and kick the football, someone snatches it away from you.

I'm perfectly fine on the topic of polygamy, by the way. Some women don't like it because it gives a man more than one option. Some other women DO like it for exactly the same reason.

Posts: 357 | From: ancient Athens | Registered: Nov 2004   
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2007, 01:27:04 pm »

bluducky

Member # 1880

Member Rated:
   posted 03-13-2005 12:41 AM                       
Come come people, let's not give Calvin a hard time. There is a story for everything, and we don't know Calvin's story. Leave him alone... fire and brimstone or not.
Who hasn't been through a tough time, and either needed to vent any way they could, or otherwise considered others' 'a little behind'?

Zeal is like a drug, it is VERY hard to shake once it has taken hold -- believe me, i know...

(For all we know, Calvin is kicking himself in desperation, trying to come to terms with something personal, and if so, he doesn't need our help, he already feels bad enough.)

Let's give him a break for awhile, shall we?

------------------
My karma just ran over your dogma.

Posts: 1626 | From: Queensland, Australia | Registered: Mar 20
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 01:27:23 pm »

Rorie Lafay

Member # 2320

Rate Member   posted 03-13-2005 01:04 AM                       
Anything involving kids to me is immoral.
Anything involving two consenting adults? Well, to me, just about anything goes. I sort of like experimenting and I don't believe in marriage.
I think people should have no commitments. I don't think people should have to stay together just because they have commitments. Too many women I've known have gotten beaten up by guys they used to love, then stayed together for the sake of the kids. That is NOT going to happen to me. I don't plan on having any kids, and I don't plan on ever getting married. Don't get me wrong, I think that life's most exciting moments tend to happen between two people, but I think that relationships tend to get a bit messed up because too many people feel like they have to abide by all that traditional stuff (which I personally believe is garbage).

And if there is a God, I sure don't believe he would be against sex, like all the religions seem to be. There would be no reason for it. That was the idea of some old guy three thousand years ago, it sure probably wasn't God's.

Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 01:27:39 pm »

Anassa

Member # 2386

Member Rated:
   posted 03-13-2005 05:11 AM                       
Could polygamy wipe out adultery?
I mean who's have the time or energy to cheat 
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2007, 01:27:59 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 03-13-2005 06:19 AM                       
The Question of Morality? I think it is more of a surviver thing
In the animal world the male kills off the other male`s off springs.
The Neanderthal didn`t survive because he didn`t take of his women and children.

Jesus said marriage- one man, one women, both should be virgins, the survival of the child.kids do better when parents stay together.

Also maybe he saw the future, the extintion of man from sexual diseases and abortion. Its been said ,the black man is going extint in a afria from the epidemic of aids, and the white man in Europe, and America from abortion. 

Posts: 7893 | From: toledo .ohio | Registered: Mar 2000   
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2007, 01:28:21 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 03-13-2005 06:38 AM                       
Might I add, the female even in the animal kingdom protected her babies. More childern are killed off from the ages of a few months, to five years old in America, more then any other nation in the world.And we are only begining to see the sexual abuse statistics.
Posts: 7893 | From: toledo .ohio | Registered: Mar 2000   
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2007, 01:28:45 pm »

Anassa

Member # 2386

Member Rated:
   posted 03-13-2005 07:20 AM                       
I agree that kids with two parents should have a happier and more balanced outlook on life than those from a broken home but like all grey areas this one is no exception. It all depends on the parents.
My mother took us away from a wife-beating spendthrift, adulterous father. We moved to the country, were educated, disciplined, and taught to respect our elders. We had a very happy childhood, and my brothers treat their wives like queens.

Maybe we were just among the lucky ones.
I'm not saying there are no hang ups as a result of having an absent father but put in the same position as my mother, I would, and did do the same, to ensure my kids were happier in the long run.

By contrast I have a friend who is now 38, brought up in a two-parent loving home with what I would call spiritual rather than religious parents, educated, fairly well off, lovely people really but he has more complexes and hang ups than anyone I know.

I also know two others in their early twenties both from loving and wealthy two-parent families. Drugs, anorexia, self-harming, you name it. Another had ultra Christian parents living in the same house but not speaking to each other at all, which had a devastating affect on him emotionally and psychologically.

I think we all must carry scars from our upbringing, it's just a matter of degree. Our parents made mistakes in the same way their parents did.

Perhaps Jesus was referring to an ideal rather than a rule. I can't remember where the particular reference is as I left my bible-thumping days behind over 20 years ago

Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2007, 01:29:02 pm »

funky

Member # 1875

Rate Member   posted 03-13-2005 08:20 AM                       
There are a lot of expressions about feelings here.
Remember: Feelings are not facts. Feelings are just that - feelings. They are neither bad or good till they are acted on. Some people need to get "in touch" with their feelings in order to know themselves while others need to supress them (feelings) in order to go on living a somewhat normal life like in cases of anxiety disorders.

Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2007, 01:29:19 pm »

Ishtar

Member # 736

posted 03-13-2005 09:29 AM                       
Yes Docyabut, there are many cultural differences, what is not acceptable today, and in our culture , was acceptable, in past cultures. Having children in some cultures, was driven by need to carry on the family name, so many wives and many children was important to them, also still today in some tribal cultures they have many children because the mortality rate is so high.
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2007, 01:29:38 pm »

Ishtar

Member # 736

posted 03-13-2005 09:37 AM                       

Good post Anassa,it is all about the individual, no amount of good upbringing can change a persons personality, and no amount of suffering can get some people down.

That is why i don't like the blame game, many people rise up out of horrific circumstances to become great and successful, while those who have been given every opportunity, brains and money to succeed, fail.

Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2007, 01:29:54 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 03-13-2005 09:43 AM                       
Perhaps Jesus was referring to an ideal rather than a rule.I agree, if both did not cheat in a pure marriage, there would`nt be a problem. Most of the anger comes from the one that does the cheating, which in most cases was the male, however with the sexual revolution, it goes both ways now. 
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2007, 01:30:10 pm »

docyabut
Member # 117

Rate Member   posted 03-13-2005 09:52 AM                       
Did you hear what was told to one of the tribal leaders over in Africa( forgot his name)who has many wives. If you want your people to stop dying of aids, you should set the exsample.   
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: