Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:36:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: 'Europe's oldest city' found in Cadiz
http://mathaba.net/rss/?x=566660

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Inner Harmony & the Pathway to Spiritual Peace (Original)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inner Harmony & the Pathway to Spiritual Peace (Original)  (Read 3548 times)
Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2007, 12:45:37 am »

Europa

Member # 2616

Member Rated:
   posted 01-02-2006 03:23 AM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Happy New Year to everyone!

Let's lighten the mood a little around here:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ancients Rang In New Year with Dance, Beer
By Jennifer Viegas, Discovery News

Dec. 30, 2005 — Many ancient Egyptians marked the first month of the New Year by singing, dancing and drinking red beer until they passed out, according to archaeologists who have unearthed new evidence of a ritual known as the Festival of Drunkenness.

During ongoing excavations at a temple precinct in Luxor that is dedicated to the goddess Mut, the archaeologists recently found a sandstone column drum dating to 1470-1460 B.C. with writing that mentions the festival.

The discovery suggests how some Egyptians over 3,000 years ago began their New Year, which for them started around the end of August to coincide with seasonal, desired flooding that drenched farmlands where they would grow crops, such as barley and wheat. The Festival of Drunkenness usually occurred 20 days after the first big flood.

While drinking and dancing are part of many modern New Year's celebrations, the early Egyptians probably would have disapproved of the partying because they viewed such activities in a very different light.

"The Festival of Drunkenness was not a social occasion for them," said Betsy Bryan, who led the dig. "People did not come to enjoy themselves. They drank to enter an altered state so that they might witness the epiphany of a deity."

Bryan, who is chair of the Near Eastern Studies Department at Johns Hopkins University, added, "In general, the ancient Egyptians frowned upon drunkenness, but they would come together to drink for a specific purpose."

She told Discovery News that written references to the festival date to several thousand years ago, but the writing on the newly discovered sandstone column drum is one of the first pieces of evidence to directly link the festival to an Egyptian leader and to a temple location.

In this case, the leader is the female pharaoh Hatshepsut, who reigned for close to 20 years in the fifteenth century B.C. The column reads, "She (Hatshepsut) made it (the temple) as a monument for her mother Mut Mistress of Isheru, making for her a columned porch of drunkenness anew, so that she might do as one who is given life forever."

The findings are published in the new book "Hatshepsut: From Queen to Pharaoh," which contains writings that were compiled by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. The book coincides with an exhibit on Hatshepsut that currently is at San Francisco's de Young Museum.

According to Bryan, the Festival of Drunkenness began with attendees appeasing a lion goddess deity, such as Mut, with red beer that received its color from red ochre.

A myth called the "Destruction of Mankind" suggested that if a goddess became drunk on red beer, she would no longer slaughter humans. The ancient Egyptians, therefore, believed that the colorful brew was associated with salvation.

Liturgical psalms used during the festival suggest that the goddess — probably depicted on a statue — was enthroned in the temple and then transported through a hall before being carried to the temple's front court. It was here that celebrants became inebriated, sang, danced, engaged in sexual activity, and waited to see the goddess.

"One commonality with modern celebrations is that they would have a 'designated driver' who was supposed to stay sober throughout the event to make sure that others were taken care of," said Bryan.

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20051226/drunkegypt_arc.html
Report Spam   Logged

Sort through the media disinformation:
http://mediamatters.org/
Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2007, 12:46:05 am »

Jade Hellene

Member # 2321

Member Rated:
   posted 01-02-2006 03:34 AM                       
Don't

Mention

Beer.

--------------------

Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2007, 12:46:27 am »

Jean Starling

Member # 2512

Member Rated:
   posted 01-02-2006 04:50 PM                       
Happy New Year to everyone.

Nice article, Europa.

Hopefully, this is the year we get out of Iraq, the economy turns around and the world in general gets more progressive, not as bloodthirsty.
Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #48 on: December 18, 2007, 12:46:48 am »

Calvin Noble

Member # 2238

Rate Member   posted 01-03-2006 01:05 AM                       
My wish is that all the many lost souls here find (of which there are more than I care to say here) find Jesus Christ and accept him as their savior. It has been my experience that those who have no religion (hence, no faith) tend to be the most miserable.

--------------------
"An atheist believes in nothing, and so he shall find nothing."

Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #49 on: December 18, 2007, 12:47:13 am »

Brooke

Member # 2806

Member Rated:
   posted 01-06-2006 12:19 AM                       
Bunk.

--------------------
"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein

Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2007, 12:47:38 am »

Jason

Member # 2807

Member Rated:
   posted 01-06-2006 02:07 AM                       
Fundie bunk.
Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #51 on: December 18, 2007, 12:48:19 am »

Dawn Moline

Member # 2173

Member Rated:
   posted 01-07-2006 12:19 AM                       
I have changed the name of this topic to broaden the discussion a bit.

"Year in Your life"

Becomes:

"Inner Harmony & the Pathway to Spiritual Peace"

The chief goal in this will be a quest, for each of us to find some better way of dealing with the world. Specifically, in what manner does each of us deal with the world? Everyone feels the wounds of anger, sadness and regret. Everyone has a loss that they cannot bear, there are times when each of us feels completely alone.

What is the philosophy that sees you through it all, did you achieve some pathway to inner enlightenment or are you simply content that it shall end someday, with each of our lives?

Is life a series of challenges that we each pride ourselves on overcoming, or a war wherein each day we incur a new wound? Do you call on God, or are you more apt to depend on yourself?

When you are hurt do you turn the other cheek, or do you strike back?

Victim or aggressor?
Angel or demon?
Liberal or conservative?
A seeker of vengeance, or blessed with the ability to forgive?

Is there some new wisdom or cause you have uncovered that makes it all worthwhile?

I am, by my own nature, a very passive person and would far rather be hurt by someone than be the one to inflict the hurt. And, to be perfectly honest, mine isn't so much of phiosophy as who life has made me.

However, I sense that there are many others out there who are genuinely hurting and if there are teachings that others might have learned that be of worth, it might be part of our duty to share them.

If it isn't too much to ask, if it isn't too intimate, I would like to know everyone's personal philosophy.

[ 01-07-2006, 12:20 AM: Message edited by: Dawn Moline ]

--------------------
"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato

Posts: 446 | From: citizen of the world | Registered: Oct 200
Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2007, 12:49:03 am »

Calvin Noble

Member # 2238

Rate Member   posted 01-07-2006 01:55 AM                       
Dawn, there is an old saying that I shall now impart to you: "Let go, let God.

I have noted with interest that those who seem to drift the most aimlessly through life, and seem the most bereft of hope (as at times, you have certainly seemed to be), are the ones that also tend to lack faith.

The church gives one a mission, a purpose, and, most importantly, direction.

Our crime rates are rising these days because God has been taken out of the classroom and people have been drifting away from the church. Liberals all consider themselves bright people, too bad they haven't yet gotten bright enough to make that connection!

Religion gives one a clear list of moral virtues to live one's life by, take away religion and it;s no wonder so many people feel lost, dispirited, beset and alone.

--------------------
"An atheist believes in nothing, and so he shall find nothing."

Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #53 on: December 18, 2007, 12:49:43 am »

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 01-07-2006 09:37 PM                       
Religion gives people the illusion they aren't alone. The only way to actually not be alone, though, is to be seeing someone.

How's that for fortune cookie wisdom...
Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #54 on: December 18, 2007, 12:51:40 am »

Brooke

Member # 2806

Member Rated:
   posted 01-08-2006 01:04 AM                       

quote:
Victim or aggressor?
Angel or demon?
Liberal or conservative?
A seeker of vengeance, or blessed with the ability to forgive?

No offense meant, Dawn, but I think that you have fallen into the trap that most people do these days: needing to give labels to people.

Some people are really easy to label, but others don't fall into any particular category. I don't support the war in Iraq, but hey, just because I don't support one bad idea for a war that all of a sudden makes me a liberal? There are other times when I thoght that war was neccessary.

I'm an "issue-oriented" person, I don't follow any particulare ideology.

--------------------
"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein

Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2007, 12:56:59 am »

Brooke

Member # 2806

Member Rated:
   posted 01-08-2006 01:09 AM                       

quote:
The church gives one a mission, a purpose, and, most importantly, direction.

Our crime rates are rising these days because God has been taken out of the classroom and people have been drifting away from the church. Liberals all consider themselves bright people, too bad they haven't yet gotten bright enough to make that connection!

Religion gives one a clear list of moral virtues to live one's life by, take away religion and it;s no wonder so many people feel lost, dispirited, beset and alone.

Then, give religion back to us and women like me tend to feel repressed, discriminated against and abhorred.

(See Jade's "Women & the Bible" thread for a list of ugly little examples).

--------------------

Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2007, 12:57:40 am »

Jennie McGrath

Member # 2197

Member Rated:
   posted 01-09-2006 10:25 PM                       
Calvin needs to get a life...as usual!!!

I didn't even know that Calvin was still lurking around here, what an unpleasant idea! Anyway, I have no profound philosophy to share with everyone other than this: have a good time, all the time!{/i]

I think that people who are the most miserable are the ones that have forgotten how to party. People spend so much time worrying about paying their bills, well, no one's going to give a flying fig if your bills were paid or not twenty years after you're dead. So you might as well have yourself a good time!
Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #57 on: December 18, 2007, 12:58:09 am »

I_am_that_I_am

Member # 1238

Member Rated:
   posted 01-09-2006 10:34 PM                       

quote:
I think that people who are the most miserable are the ones that have forgotten how to party. People spend so much time worrying about paying their bills, well, no one's going to give a flying fig if your bills were paid or not twenty years after you're dead. So you might as well have yourself a good time!

Wooohoo!,A great motto to live by....Live for today for tommorrow you may not be here !  Grin

--------------------
KNOW that as ye do unto the least of thy associates ye do
unto the GOD within THEE that is in the image of the God
without.
E.C.

Posts: 1820 | From: Nashville, TN. | Registered: Nov 2002   
Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #58 on: December 18, 2007, 12:58:36 am »

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 01-09-2006 11:22 PM                       
I saw a special tonight where someone said that the secret to inner peace is to just take seven minutes each day and get to "know" yourself.

Trouble is, who has seven minutes anymore..?
Report Spam   Logged

Jade Hellene
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #59 on: December 18, 2007, 12:59:01 am »

Aphrodite

Member # 2573

Member Rated:
   posted 01-10-2006 08:37 PM                       
My own personal philosophy?
Life is a struggle, don't expect anyone to be nice to you and keep everyone at arm's length. The world is not your parents. For those of us who no longer have our parents, that truth was ingrained in us early on.

But does any of that really help anyone? Most people want to believe the good in others, they hope to find some happiness. That fails to take into the account, though, that happiness is fleeting and any of it that we do find is just an illusion.

--------------------
"He who controls others maybe powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.” - Lao Tsu

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: