Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:50:58 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Meaning of Existence (Original)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Meaning of Existence (Original)  (Read 6055 times)
Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #210 on: December 16, 2007, 08:59:11 pm »

Gwen Parker

Member # 2242

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 01:15 AM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I really reject the idea that you don't have anything against women, Calvin. You have criticized every woman herein the past who even remotely gets involved in a dialogue with you. Always it's women, very few men. You've even criticized me even though I rarely come over here. I don't think it's about Christianity with you, but rather about some deep-seated animosity you have for us.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged

"Often the test of courage is not to die but to live." — Vittorio Alfieri
Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #211 on: December 16, 2007, 08:59:40 pm »

Jennie McGrath

Member # 2197

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 01:23 AM                       
Well, Gwen, that's not exactly a new observation. Calvin has been here about six months, and been ripping on us for at least five! I have to confess to not being a big Bible-reader myself. But if all that sexism crap is in there about women being weak and impure and crap like that, I don’t think I'll ever bother to read it.

http://forums.atlantisrising.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000306;p=6
Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #212 on: December 16, 2007, 09:00:04 pm »

Jade Hellene

Member # 2321

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 01:29 AM                       
All that stuff is in there. Organized religion is simply organized sexism, an excuse to oppress women. As I have said here before, and often, women don't need organized religion, they need a greater sense of their own self-worth.

--------------------
Sort through the media disinformation:
http://mediamatters.org/

Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #213 on: December 16, 2007, 09:00:26 pm »

Calvin Noble

Member # 2238

Rate Member   posted 05-27-2005 01:33 AM                       
Jennie McGrath, with your last comments, you have shown yourself to be a part of this lowly clan of hedonists. I was never sure of you in the past because your interests have always been about alien lifeforms in the past. Now I am sure:

quote:
! I have to confess to not being a big Bible-reader myself. But if all that sexism crap is in there about women being weak and impure and crap like that, I don’t think I'll ever bother to read it.

You all came here around the same time. I am certain that this is some well-coordinated by a pagan cult of some sort, and that you want to confuse and influence any children that might be reading this forum. Most of you preach promiscuity, confusion, disdain for God. Now go and tell me that I am wrong.

--------------------
"An atheist believes in nothing, and so he shall find nothing."

Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #214 on: December 16, 2007, 09:00:45 pm »

Morrison

Member # 2156

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 01:41 AM                       
How about if we just call you insane, Calvin?
How about stupid?

I have been reading a lot of your past posts. You have these insane delusions and act something like a demi-god. I doubt if Christianity even wants or needs people like you promoting it's message. I see the things you write about the women here and I wonder if that is really what my religion has in it. The Bible truly is a sexist book and life shouldn't be about that at all. Reading what others have written here broadens my own spiritual horizons. The afterlife is probably nothing like we have been taught it to be. You hold onto a stale and musty idea.
Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #215 on: December 16, 2007, 09:01:10 pm »

Veronica Poe

Member # 2172

posted 05-27-2005 01:52 AM                       
How about stupid and cruel? And, apparently, he's not the only one here like that.
Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2007, 09:01:57 pm »

Seekerofknowledge

Member # 2439

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 06:46 AM                       
Norman have you even read your much vaunted bible or are you a mindless drone that can only spit out what you've been told. I'm no christian, but I have read the bible several times (its the main reason I'm not a christian).
I have the privledge of knowing several real christans and you do't come anywhere close to the quiet, peaceful faith in there god that they have. Yuo say your a catholic well what does feel like being a member of the bloodiest, most intolerant, egotistacal bunch of fantics on the planet?

"the truth cannot be told only found"

[ 05-27-2005, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: Seekerofknowledge ]

--------------------
"the truth cannot be told, only found"

Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #217 on: December 16, 2007, 09:02:19 pm »

Ishtar

Member # 736

posted 05-27-2005 08:15 AM                       
The higher we soar, the smaller we seem to those who cannot fly - Nietzsche

--------------------
“Ad initio, alea iacta est.”
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
it's Later Than You Think
Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #218 on: December 16, 2007, 09:02:53 pm »

Author  Topic: The Meaning of Existence 
Baphomet

Member # 2177

Member Rated:
   posted 05-26-2005 11:45 PM                       
I find it perfectly disgusting how everyone seeks to interfere with conversations around here. It's a big forum, surely there must be other topics here that interest you. You don't need to come here and read our conversations. No one is asking you to, we have formed our group here and get along well without you.

quote:
I can't live up to their ideal, and often I find myself beating myself up because I can't.

And yet, to some of us, the ideal changes, and you yourself have become the ideal, Dawn.

quote:
I think they see one thing they like about me, that I often let them touch me and or kiss me and don't object, and from that, they try to invest all the things they ever wanted in other women in me.

Well, that is the thing, isn't it. There is no reserve in you, you're very approachable, and something in you sets people at ease. Couple that with your passive nature and you attract both the good element and the bad.

Personally, I believe that Calvin and Norman act so petty because, at their heart they are sickened by some attraction they feel for you. Of course, I'm sure they will correct me if I am wrong.

--------------------
"The sleep of reason brings forth monsters." - Goya

Volitzer

Member # 245

Rate Member   posted 05-26-2005 11:50 PM                       
Okay Norm;

Let me be your guide to the 21st Century here. 

Because men and women's brains are hard-wired differently each is going to offer their strengths and weaknesses. 

It has been proven that while men on the average are better engineers women prove to be better salespeople and service people. Granted we're talking averages here. 

Okay you look at what Lou Dobbs is trying to do to save the USA's economy. Now don't you think that Christine Romans, Kitty Pilgrim, Dana Bash etc. are making great contributions with their journalistic backgrounds???  www.cnn.com/lou

I'll bet Kitty and Christine would embarass Rush Limbaugh with what they know about Communist China and the Illegal alien problems. 

Why you can't seem to give women here any credit for anything I don't get???

You should try living in NYS where women are allowed to be dumb because the feminists have such a racket here. Then try coming to AR to hear the opinions of intelligent women.

In a way you are acting like the times of Christ when women were treated no better than the livestock. You come to NYS, see first hand just how awful letting women be dumb is then you'd appreciate this forum more. 

Believe me Norm, intelligence is a far greater assest with a woman than just letter her just be idle.

Dawn:

What you are doing is annoying to men. I mean you act like you have a fear of commitment or something very close. 
Posts: 6545 | From: -in transition- | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged |   

Norman Pounders

Member # 2237

Rate Member   posted 05-27-2005 12:17 AM                       
Volitzer, I do give women credit, the ones that deserve it, of which there are few here. 

Baphomet, you couldn’t be more wrong. I think you confuse "disgust" with "infatuation."

--------------------
"The world is not divided into men and women. It's divided into great minds and small minds;

- Anassa

Aristotle

Member # 2244

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 12:24 AM                       
Norman, I have never figured out exactly what you and Calvin have against Dawn other than the fact that she, with her philosophy happens to be closer to the teachings of Jesus than either of you happen to be. Odd considering you're the ones that are supposed to be the Christians here.

--------------------
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle

Posts: 357 | From: ancient Athens | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged |   

Baphomet

Member # 2177

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 12:40 AM                       
They aren’t Christians, Aristotle, we've discussed that before. They are meglomaniacal fundamentalists, more interested in using religion as a means to get control as opposed to the actual teachings of their lord.

--------------------

Jennie McGrath

Member # 2197

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 12:44 AM                       
Wrong on both counts, Ari & Bapho, they are a**holes, and for that the world needs no explanation! There are more of them in the world than there are us.

Calvin Noble

Member # 2238

Rate Member   posted 05-27-2005 12:48 AM                       
Aristotle, I wholly reject your characterization of the nature of my hostility towards Dawn. I think that some of you believe that I attack her because she is a woman and that something inside me hates all women. That is untrue. While I do have some very clear ideas of what I believe women should be, I have been hostile towards her because I believe her topics here are intended to undermine the traditional teachings of the lord. Of course, many others of you also say some blasphemous things, many of you at least try to offer hope with your message. All Dawn and her sordid little clan seem to offer is despair built upon despair, sordid story built upon sordid little story. Her latest story regarding her "depression" is indicative of this behavior. At first, I, too, was convinced that she may have been in need of help and did try to help. Now I see the story as yet another reason for one to engage in promiscuous behavior and convince others that it is a good way to solve one's problems. I don’t believe that she was depressed, sad, or in need of help at all. I believe that it was all a ruse to get sympathy and I will no longer have anymore of it. Original sin came from a woman, and it is a woman that still leads you all astray here, into the lurid pathways of her own wanton confusion.

--------------------

Aristotle

Member # 2244

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 12:53 AM                       
Well, I don’t know where Dawn will be without your "help", Calvin, I'm sure whatever help you gave her meant quite a lot to her.

--------------------
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle

Posts: 357 | From: ancient Athens | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged |   

Baphomet

Member # 2177

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 12:55 AM                       
Well, Calvin, I don’t quite know where to begin with your latest litany of complaints. I sensed you pulling back some from your ridiculous attacks on Dawn and the rest of us and thought you might be softening. I see I was mistaken, you're still the same self-righteous prick that you have always been. Do you really believe that Dawn and the rest of us hate Christians? None of us have even written anything here about religion lately. We've actually been examing the human condition, why go back to this ridiculous gripe?

--------------------

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 01:02 AM                       
Calvin, as usual, you go way overboard with your criticisms and take things far too seriously. Dawn was depressed, probably still is, after hearing all the complaints some of the people have said tonight. What did you gain by not trying to help her? In my view, the human condition is the greatest ancient mystery of them all. Helping people is what it's all about.

Trent

Member # 2174

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 01:13 AM                       
For the last time, I'm Christian and a lot of other people are, too, that you keep accusing people of.

He keeps going back to the same old crap. Aristotle, because he he has nothing positive to say about anything. Negativity, and ripping on people is what it's all about for him.

--------------------
"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

Posts: 387 | From: DeKalb, IL | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged |   

Gwen Parker

Member # 2242

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 01:15 AM                       
I really reject the idea that you don't have anything against women, Calvin. You have criticized every woman herein the past who even remotely gets involved in a dialogue with you. Always it's women, very few men. You've even criticized me even though I rarely come over here. I don't think it's about Christianity with you, but rather about some deep-seated animosity you have for us.

Jennie McGrath

Member # 2197

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 01:23 AM                       
Well, Gwen, that's not exactly a new observation. Calvin has been here about six months, and been ripping on us for at least five! I have to confess to not being a big Bible-reader myself. But if all that sexism crap is in there about women being weak and impure and crap like that, I don’t think I'll ever bother to read it.

Jade Hellene

Member # 2321

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 01:29 AM                       
All that stuff is in there. Organized religion is simply organized sexism, an excuse to oppress women. As I have said here before, and often, women don't need organized religion, they need a greater sense of their own self-worth.

--------------------
Sort through the media disinformation:
http://mediamatters.org/

Calvin Noble

Member # 2238

Rate Member   posted 05-27-2005 01:33 AM                       
Jennie McGrath, with your last comments, you have shown yourself to be a part of this lowly clan of hedonists. I was never sure of you in the past because your interests have always been about alien lifeforms in the past. Now I am sure:

quote:
! I have to confess to not being a big Bible-reader myself. But if all that sexism crap is in there about women being weak and impure and crap like that, I don’t think I'll ever bother to read it.

You all came here around the same time. I am certain that this is some well-coordinated by a pagan cult of some sort, and that you want to confuse and influence any children that might be reading this forum. Most of you preach promiscuity, confusion, disdain for God. Now go and tell me that I am wrong.

--------------------

Morrison

Member # 2156

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 01:41 AM                       
How about if we just call you insane, Calvin?
How about stupid?

I have been reading a lot of your past posts. You have these insane delusions and act something like a demi-god. I doubt if Christianity even wants or needs people like you promoting it's message. I see the things you write about the women here and I wonder if that is really what my religion has in it. The Bible truly is a sexist book and life shouldn't be about that at all. Reading what others have written here broadens my own spiritual horizons. The afterlife is probably nothing like we have been taught it to be. You hold onto a stale and musty idea.
Posts: 391 | From: New England | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged |   

Veronica Poe

Member # 2172

posted 05-27-2005 01:52 AM                       
How about stupid and cruel? And, apparently, he's not the only one here like that.

Seekerofknowledge

Member # 2439

Member Rated:
   posted 05-27-2005 06:46 AM                       
Norman have you even read your much vaunted bible or are you a mindless drone that can only spit out what you've been told. I'm no christian, but I have read the bible several times (its the main reason I'm not a christian).
I have the privledge of knowing several real christans and you do't come anywhere close to the quiet, peaceful faith in there god that they have. Yuo say your a catholic well what does feel like being a member of the bloodiest, most intolerant, egotistacal bunch of fantics on the planet?

"the truth cannot be told only found"

[ 05-27-2005, 06:46 AM: Message edited by: Seekerofknowledge ]

--------------------
"the truth cannot be told, only found"

Posts: 49 | From: Danville,Il. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged |   

Ishtar

Member # 736

posted 05-27-2005 08:15 AM                       
The higher we soar, the smaller we seem to those who cannot fly - Nietzsche

--------------------
“Ad initio, alea iacta est.”
And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
it's Later Than You Think
http://forums.atlantisrising.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=000023;p=1

Pagan

Member # 2369

Member Rated:
   posted 05-30-2005 10:18 PM                       

quote:

Amen to that!

I'll just come right out and say it, you people have nothing on the Nazis!!What a bunch of religious freaks!!

--------------------
╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝

Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #219 on: December 16, 2007, 09:03:15 pm »

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 05-30-2005 10:23 PM                       
You know, I don't want to knock anyone's religion, but after what I have seen of that religion, I have to sort of echo Seeker and Pagan's sentiments. Plus add that it has dont a lot more harm than good, in my view, and it has been particularly oppressive of women's rights, too.
Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #220 on: December 16, 2007, 09:03:35 pm »

Gwen Parker

Member # 2242

Member Rated:
   posted 05-30-2005 11:29 PM                       
I was actually raised Catholic myself, but abandoned that religion when I began to get better educated about the world. My parents are still very stong practicing Catholics and don't understand my choices, but I personally can't think of any religion off hand that would be worse for women to follow.

Sorry if I offended any people who still believe strongly in the Catholic faith here, that just happens to be my opinion. Goddess worship is the only one that really makes any real sense to me and is the one that suits me best personally.
Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #221 on: December 16, 2007, 09:03:56 pm »

Norman Pounders

Member # 2237

Rate Member   posted 05-31-2005 09:26 PM                       

quote:
Yuo say your a catholic well what does feel like being a member of the bloodiest, most intolerant, egotistacal bunch of fantics on the planet?

Well, there you people go again, now insulting Catholics, even though it is one of the oldest and certainly the most respected religion on the planet. The hypocrisy of you liberals just never ceases to amaze me. You jump down my throat because I don't buy into your socialist/New Age liberal philosophy, but apparently, Seeker, Jennifer, Gwen and, of course Pagan are given a pass for all their insulting little comments.

Apparently, there's something of a double standard at work here.

--------------------
"The world is not divided into men and women. It's divided into great minds and small minds;

- Anassa

Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #222 on: December 16, 2007, 09:05:54 pm »

Jennifer O'Dell

Member # 2239

Member Rated:
   posted 05-31-2005 09:40 PM                       
I never said anything derogatory about the Catholic religion. I just said that it was oppressive towards women's rights, which I still believe that it is.
Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #223 on: December 16, 2007, 09:06:27 pm »

Aristotle

Member # 2244

Member Rated:
   posted 05-31-2005 09:45 PM                       
Norman is right, the Catholic religion should not be singled out alone for criticism. All organized religions have their faults, which is why, for me, at least, the only sane choice is to become an atheist.

--------------------
- Aristotle

Report Spam   Logged

Sun Goddess
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #224 on: December 16, 2007, 09:06:50 pm »

Sauron

Member # 2514

Member Rated:
   posted 05-31-2005 10:16 PM                       
And yet, I'm sure we'd all agree that the Catholic Church has a lot more to answer for - indulgencs, the Crusades, the Inquisition, priest pedophillia, the list goes on and on...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: