Atlantis Online
April 20, 2024, 09:25:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Update About Cuba Underwater Megalithic Research
http://www.timstouse.com/EarthHistory/Atlantis/bimini.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mystery of Music (Original)

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery of Music (Original)  (Read 477 times)
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 12, 2007, 10:52:51 pm »

With the advent of the new year, I would to start the year with the discussion of a subject that we have barely touched on here: music. Whatever world we have made for ourselves here, I think we are all in agreement that it would be a much poorer place without music. I would like to explore the mystery of how music first entered the world, what the ancient cultures listened to, the evolution of music throughout the 20th Century, but since I like to put people first, I'd like to also ask of everyone these questions:

*What kind of music do you listen to?

*Do you have a favorite artist?

*Music is linked to memories. What songs evoke the strongest memories for you, and why?

*What sort of music do you hate?

*Is music a danger to the young, as some might suggest?

*Does music ever incite one to violence?

Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 10:53:41 pm »

I'll go first this time. These days, my tastes run more to classical, to me, good classical music is, at times, an apex of art and science meeting together, a music that stirs the soul.

But, like most people, I had my Elvis and Beatles phase.

I grew up with a lot of those 1980's bands.

And, once upon a time, I had a huge crush on Michael Hutchence of INXS, and was terribly crushed when he died. When something like that happens, it's almost as if a part of your youth dies, too.

Music evokes the brightest of memories. It is only with the passing of time that we get a better grasp of it's meaning. I hear the song, "Stairway to Heaven" now as I first did back when I was a child, and yet, it seems to mean so much more these days. It makes me think, and it works in so many different ways.

So, this time, no bickering over beliefs, personalities, likes & dislikes. Let us have a celebration of music, if each of you are game.

Cheers,

Dawn

http://forums.atlantisrising.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000551
Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato
mdsungate

Hermes, Gateway of the Sun

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 08:05:45 pm »

Smiley  Well if we’re going to have a musical discussion we should start at the beginning.  As a former student of the Juilliard School of Music, I can tell you that almost all music history courses start with the Greeks.  Music students are taught that certain “modes”, (closely akin to our musical scales), were outlawed by the Greek government because they were said to incite riots, or immoral behavior… Kind of like the modern equivalent of “Banned in Boston” I guess.

Of all the legends of times before recorded history, the most famous musican of all time would be:  Orpheus. (Who like many musicians got involved with the wrong kind of girl, in his case a wood nymph, Eurydice, and ruined his live over her, LOL).

TAKEN FROM:  http://www.hipark.austin.isd.tenet.edu/mythology/orpheus.html

Orpheus

The greatest of all musicians was named Orpheus. He sang a wide variety of songs. Sometimes he sang high-pitched songs about the mystical creation of the universe. Other times he played low notes on his lyre as he sang of the battles of Zeus ad the Olympians gods who clashed against the Titans. Orpheus even had songs about people who were changed into flowers or birds.
But whatever he sang, the rich clear words and the silvery notes from his harp were so enchanting that they always had a magical effect on everything around him. His songs could charm even rocks and rivers as well as humans and animals. Once when Orpheus was playing his splendid music in the forest, the oak trees pulled up their roots. They followed him down the mountainside and planted themselves by the seashore where Orpheus ended his song.
When the great adventurer Jason was about to set out on his search for the Golden fleece, Orpheus was invited to go along. Orpheus proved to be of great help on the long journey. When the tempers of the heroes of the ship flared up, Orpheus would sing a peaceful song and calm those who had been arguing. Sometimes when the rowing was long and tedious, Orpheus would begin to stroke his lyre. Then time would seem to float by and the rowers would not feel tired and they listened to the soft rippling music

On a more personal note, I like movie score music, my favorite being John Williams, which is sort of “classical”.  But music for me kind of depends on what mood I’m in.  John Williams is not very danceable, and not what I’d be in the mood for at a party.  And when I’m in an angry mood, I’ll change the station to heavy metal.  So when someone asks me what my favorite kind of music is, movie music is my stock answer.  But it’s music’s ability to set a mood and affect peoples moods, that gives me pause to the real answer to that question: which is, it depends on what mood I’m in at the time.  Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Hermes Trismegistus:  “As above, so below.”
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: