Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 08:52:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Dreams of a Distant Age (Original)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dreams of a Distant Age (Original)  (Read 2120 times)
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #75 on: December 25, 2007, 04:22:02 pm »

Aphrodite

Member # 2573

Member Rated:
   posted 05-06-2006 10:02 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I just heard about the loss of Ulf Richter to the forum. Truly, a terrible thing and yes, he was taken too soon from us.

And yet, when it's all said and done, how many of us actually get to live our lives doing what we want to?

I suppose, be happy in that at least, that Ulf got to live his life in the manner that he wanted to live it.

--------------------
"He who controls others maybe powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.” - Lao Tsu

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2007, 04:22:33 pm »

Gwen Parker

Member # 2242

Member Rated:
   posted 05-06-2006 11:20 PM                       
It sounds like he knew the end was coming. Sure, maybe he had no regrets, but his family is no doubt very crushed.

I really wonder if there is some afterlife. And, if there is, just what will we find there?
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #77 on: December 25, 2007, 04:23:02 pm »

Veronica Poe

Member # 2172

posted 05-09-2006 10:26 PM                       

quote:
Originally posted by Dawn Moline:
I don't much care for the world we live in and make no secret of it. How can any of us when our technology, meant to improve our lives, only manages to bring us that much further apart? The only thing we can know for certain about the time we live in is that it shall always be awash in hatred, violence and bright hatred. I don't imagine that the ancient times were any easier, but one thing I believe: the ancients valued things more.

We are a spoiled people, used to having things done for us, impatient when they are not. In this morass of self-centeredness and indifference, we have surely lost our way. Whatever values the ancients have built up for us, whatever wars they fought on our behalf or sacrifices they made, we seem to have lost the meaning of them. We have lost our way, and nothing short of a global catastophe will bring us back again.

Most people are dissatisfied with their lives, their world, even the time they are living in, and so, I offer us each a choice. If you could be born into a different age, what would it be?

Let the choice be made between all of the worlds of the future as well as the past. And let it include kingdoms and lands that exist in pure fantasy as well as all the old earths.

Would you live as citizen in ancient Athens or as an emperor in Rome?
Would you be a knight, born in the age of chivalry, or a settler in the old West?
Would you go with Columbus on his voyage to discover America, or be one of the Indians who his people victimized as they tried, best as they could, to defend their land?

Would you use your life to make it easier for yourself or to make a difference, right one of history's wrongs in the hope of building a better tommorrow?

Most of our problems today are rooted in the past, and yet, there are so many, I don't quite know where to begin. Once upon a time, we could have found a better world, built lives that were more important and filled with more meaning. At what point did it all begin, and how did something that could have been all right, become something so wrong?

Dreams of a Distant Age,

Will any of our dreams in this cold gray world ever come to pass..?

Cheers,

Dawn

I always thought that Egypt or ancient Greece would make a nice era to live in, however, in retrospect, it might lack the pizazz I've become accustomed to. Nice places to visit, I wouldn't want to live there..?

Be nice to visit such places, yet be able to leave when I get bored.
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #78 on: December 25, 2007, 04:24:10 pm »

Dawn Moline

Member # 2173

Member Rated:
   posted 01-08-2007 01:00 AM                       
I live, all my life, one foot in the past, one foot, regretably, in the present. And often I found myself wondering what the Atlanteans felt as doom set upon them - the massive earthquake that started it all, the earth breaking up, a storm and massive tidal waves striking the island, the land washed away. There were bodies and buildings at the bottom of the Atlantic, somewhere, I am sure of it, they just have yet to be uncovered yet.

Now then, fast forward to the present - the mood of the doomed Atlanteans. In some morose moments, I feel it again now. The Golden Age has at last ended, more hell ahead.

Cheers,

Dawn

--------------------
"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato

Posts: 446 | From: citizen of the world | Registered: Oct 2004  |
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #79 on: December 25, 2007, 04:24:48 pm »

Byron
unregistered

posted 01-08-2007 06:30 PM                 
Today's generations are spoiled and not used to self-sacrifice. Even the people who say they would be willing to self-sacrifice aren't able to do it. How many people in the world would be prepared to fight a World War II these days?

There is an old graphic novel entitled "Watchmen," by Allen Moore, who is as literate as comic book writers come. It's all about these superheroes that, ultimately want to manufactuture a threat to the earth to bring people together to fight a common enemy. I recommend anyone read it if they want to see the differences between good and evil, which are often blurred. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #80 on: December 25, 2007, 04:26:03 pm »

Brig

Administrator
Member # 802

Rate Member   posted 01-08-2007 06:31 PM                       
Tsk,Tsk, Dawn......"Cheers?" Such gloom and doom. Smile and be happy....you cannot change the world, maybe just a little bit of it.  Wink  Smiley
Posts: 9882 | From: Old Washington, Ohio , USA | Registered: Apr 2002 
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #81 on: December 25, 2007, 04:26:38 pm »

Dawn Moline

Member # 2173

Member Rated:
   posted 01-10-2007 01:22 AM                       
Brig, I actually think that we have in our means, the ability to change the world. It begins with one person, it begins with a dream. It starts when we become better than ourselves, and if we are successful, what we have built continues on after we die.

My thoughts for this cold evening.

Cheers,

Dawn

--------------------
"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato

Posts: 446 | From: citizen of the world | Registered: Oct 2004 
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #82 on: December 25, 2007, 04:27:53 pm »

End of Original topic!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: