Atlantis Online
April 18, 2024, 10:13:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Plato's Atlantis: Fact, Fiction or Prophecy?
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=CarolAnn_Bailey-Lloyd
http://www.underwaterarchaeology.com/atlantis-2.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Dreams of a Distant Age (Original)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dreams of a Distant Age (Original)  (Read 2121 times)
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: December 12, 2007, 10:50:01 pm »

I don't much care for the world we live in and make no secret of it. How can any of us when our technology, meant to improve our lives, only manages to bring us that much further apart? The only thing we can know for certain about the time we live in is that it shall always be awash in hatred, violence and bright hatred. I don't imagine that the ancient times were any easier, but one thing I believe: the ancients valued things more.

We are a spoiled people, used to having things done for us, impatient when they are not. In this morass of self-centeredness and indifference, we have surely lost our way. Whatever values the ancients have built up for us, whatever wars they fought on our behalf or sacrifices they made, we seem to have lost the meaning of them. We have lost our way, and nothing short of a global catastophe will bring us back again.

Most people are dissatisfied with their lives, their world, even the time they are living in, and so, I offer us each a choice. If you could be born into a different age, what would it be?

Let the choice be made between all of the worlds of the future as well as the past. And let it include kingdoms and lands that exist in pure fantasy as well as all the old earths.

Would you live as citizen in ancient Athens or as an emperor in Rome?
Would you be a knight, born in the age of chivalry, or a settler in the old West?
Would you go with Columbus on his voyage to discover America, or be one of the Indians who his people victimized as they tried, best as they could, to defend their land?

Would you use your life to make it easier for yourself or to make a difference, right one of history's wrongs in the hope of building a better tommorrow?

Most of our problems today are rooted in the past, and yet, there are so many, I don't quite know where to begin. Once upon a time, we could have found a better world, built lives that were more important and filled with more meaning. At what point did it all begin, and how did something that could have been all right, become something so wrong?

Dreams of a Distant Age,

Will any of our dreams in this cold gray world ever come to pass..?

Cheers,

Dawn

http://forums.atlantisrising.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=15;t=000692;p=1
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 10:50:49 pm by Dawn Moline » Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 12:51:05 am »

Artemis

Member # 2687

Member Rated:
   posted 04-23-2006 09:10 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It would be nice to vist ancient Athens (again  ), but I wouldn't like to live there. We tend to romantacize the past. In reality, perhaps it was quite dull.

[ 04-23-2006, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: Artemis ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2007, 12:51:25 am »

nekozuki

Member # 2762

Member Rated:
   posted 04-23-2006 09:33 PM                       
The three past lives I want to go back to are : Rome, India, and Atlantis.

Rome was awesome, sometimes cruel but awesome.
India very spiritual and I miss it greatly and want to live there and speak with the swamis and learn more spirituality.
And Atlantis before it became corrupt was the most beautiful place on Earth. And was up there with India on spirituality.

--------------------
" Om Vasudevaya Namaha!"
With loving reverence, I bow to Lord Vishnu!

"Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is." - Lord Krishna, Bhagavad Gita

Posts: 1425 | From: Shreveport, La | Registered: Oct 2005 
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2007, 12:51:45 am »

Desiree

Member # 2991

Member Rated:
   posted 04-23-2006 10:05 PM                       
Atlantis & Lemuria. It would have been nice to do something to prevent the slaughter of the American Indians, or at least, to convince the original Puritans that settled here that the better way would be to share the land with the Indians, as opposed to take it from them. America would have worked out very different in that way. Human nature is really something else, though. Once you right one thing, there's always another thing to be righted after that because people always tend to screw things up. People themselves tend to be their own worst enemies.
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2007, 12:52:05 am »

+Faith+

Member # 2886

Member Rated:
   posted 04-23-2006 11:12 PM                       
I would live in the time of Jesus, I would follow him and, if he would have me, become one of his disciples. I would die in his place if it gave the world him for a little more. And if that sacrifice was not needed, I would become one of the early martys of Christianity. And, with all my heart and soul, I would make sure we would do it right this time.

--------------------
(Psalms) 31:5,
"Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth."

Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2007, 12:52:25 am »

Ian Nottingham

Member # 2232

Member Rated:
   posted 04-24-2006 12:10 AM                       
I would go back to Sparta, kick a##, or I would trade my spear in for a javelin and go into the Medieval world. It wouldn't be any fun unless I was a commander of some kind, so I would have to be a king, regardless of wherever I would go. The king I would model myself after would be Leonides, who led his men at Thermopylae, sharing their fate. This differs, of course, from the Arab kings, who all set back on couches while they sent their men to die.
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2007, 12:52:47 am »

Aristotle

Member # 2244

Member Rated:
   posted 04-24-2006 09:08 PM                       
A very thought-provoking topic, Dawn, if we had all the world to choose from, would we choose this world or would we choose another one?

Of course I would choose another one. I don't usually long for the past like you do. However, I do long for a different age where there weren't these shades of gray, where things are more black and white, easier to sort out. Perhaps, in the end, I also long for a cause to fight for. What that cause might be, I can't be sure. Most of the wars throughout history were misguided enterprises, fought more out of greed than any real purpose. World War II is the most obvioue exception. All things being equal, perhaps I would have lived in ancient Athens like my namesake, gathered the city to helop turn back the Persians, then, I suppose, participated in building the Greek classical age. Everything was new then, and whatever we made of this world certainly began in that one.

--------------------
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
- Aristotle

Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 12:53:09 am »

Sarah

Member # 2812

Member Rated:
   posted 04-24-2006 09:21 PM                       
I would have gone back to the 1920's saved all the Jews of Europe. I would have tried to get as many of them our as I could, before the Holocaust started. Failing that, I would have gone back before the year 1900, found Hitler when he was still a child, and killed him. It's really quite simple.

--------------------
"If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, may my right hand fail..." - King David, Psalms 137:5

http://www.zwoje-scrolls.com/shoah/index.html

http://www.holocaustchronicle.org/

Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 12:53:42 am »

Byron
unregistered

posted 04-24-2006 10:33 PM                 
I think that most scenarios involving the past would have a few flaws, we already know what happened, so what's the point going back and reliving them again? I would like to travel to December 21st, 2012, and see if the world will really end on that day. Failing that (it probably won't), I'd like to have a second choice, also in the future. Thing is, I'm not sure the world will actually evolve into something better or blow itself up myself. 
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2007, 12:54:00 am »

Heather Delaria

Member # 2196

Member Rated:
   posted 04-24-2006 11:22 PM                       
The ancients were far more in tune with the earth than we are today, and I don't believe it's any mistake to glamourize the past because it has much to recommend it. My favorite of the ancient tribes would have to be either the Celts, or more specifically the Druids, pre-Roman invasions. The Romans claimed the Druids practiced human sacrifice, but that was probably just misinformation meant to villify them. There are no written records from the Druids themselves, so we can't be sure of all their practices.

--------------------
"An it harm none, do what ye will."
-the Wiccan Rede

Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2007, 12:54:24 am »

Byron
unregistered

posted 04-25-2006 12:06 AM                 
Sure we can! We can trust the Romans, look at all the roads they built for us.    Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2007, 12:54:44 am »

Jason

Member # 2807

Member Rated:
   posted 04-25-2006 12:46 AM                       
My choice would be easy. I would be one of the Knights Templar, know all their secrets firsthand, and find out once and for all, what the order was all about.
Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2007, 12:55:08 am »

nekozuki

Member # 2762

Member Rated:
   posted 04-25-2006 05:48 AM                       

quote:
Originally posted by Byron:
I think that most scenarios involving the past would have a few flaws, we already know what happened, so what's the point going back and reliving them again? I would like to travel to December 21st, 2012, and see if the world will really end on that day. Failing that (it probably won't), I'd like to have a second choice, also in the future. Thing is, I'm not sure the world will actually evolve into something better or blow itself up myself.

2012 is not the end of the world, it is when we supposedly enter the fifth world according to Mayan legend. The end of the world stuff was made up to scare people.

--------------------
" Om Vasudevaya Namaha!"

"Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is." - Lord Krishna, Bhagavad Gita

Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2007, 12:55:34 am »

rajesh

Member # 1027

Member Rated:
   posted 04-25-2006 07:43 AM                       
I will like to visit the 8th Sept, 2006, when some people say that the False Prophet is expected to reveal himself. This shall be done to alert others in advance.

It is altogether a different matter that no body will believe me.

With Regards…  Smiley

--------------------
Problem with some rugged part of scientific thinking is that it tends to interpret the advent of lightening in the clouds as a fallout of electrical invention by Faraday.

Report Spam   Logged
Dania Curtis
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2007, 12:55:57 am »

nekozuki

Member # 2762

Member Rated:
   posted 04-25-2006 11:11 AM                       
There are a number of false prophets you just have to use your head and no which is telling the truth and which one isn't.

[ 04-25-2006, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: nekozuki ]

--------------------
" Om Vasudevaya Namaha!"

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: