Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:57:01 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: FARMING FROM 6,000 YEARS AGO
http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=156622&command=displayContent&sourceNode=156618&contentPK=18789712&folderPk=87030

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Hipparchus' Celestial Globe

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hipparchus' Celestial Globe  (Read 3290 times)
Bianca
Superhero Member

« on: December 08, 2007, 08:45:46 am »

This paper will provide the requested analysis.

I start with a detailed analysis of the constellation symbols and descriptions on the Farnese Atlas as compared to all relevant surviving sources from Antiquity. In addition, I have taken detailed photographs of the Farnese Atlas under conditions for which photogrammetry can be performed. From these photographs, I have measured the positions of the constellations in the coordinate system of the globe. I have then performed a chi-square analysis to determine the best date (as well as the uncertainties in this value) for the constellation positions. In all, my results will point to the source of the observations with high confi dence.

The plan of this paper is to start in Section 2 by making a detailed comparison of the symbols on the Farnese Atlas with those from all other ancient sources. This analysis will include detailed comparison of descriptions of each constellation as compared with the works of Aratus (from the Phaenomena, and hence also Eudoxus), Hipparchus (from his Commentary on the Phaenomena of Aratus and Eudoxus), Ptolemy (from the Almagest), and Psuedo-Eratosthenes (from the Catasterismi and hence also Eratosthenes). In Section 3, I will present the results of my extensive photogrammetry, such that I will derive a very confident date for the original observations used to place the constellations onto the globe. This section will also give the declination of the Arctic and Antarctic Circles on the globe and discuss the implications for the latitude of the observer. A third part of Section 3 will discuss the accuracy of the placement of the constellations and the implications for the source of the original observations. Section 4 will put all the results together and a strong case will be made for the identification of the original observer. Section 5 will discuss some implications and applications of this conclusion. Section 6 will summarize the conclusion.

This paper has an extensive Appendix, into which I have placed all the technical details relating to the photogrammetry. The goal is to provide complete details so that readers can test my results or perform their own analyses.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: