Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 06:17:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

An African kingdom on the Nile

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An African kingdom on the Nile  (Read 2039 times)
Davita
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: November 22, 2007, 03:47:18 am »

An African kingdom on the Nile
Sudan's fabled city on the Lower Nile is being excavated, conserved, and prepared for tourism, reports Jill Kamil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Click to view caption
Clockwise from left: map of Nubia showing the location of Meroe; water filling a usually dry canal west of the royal city; excavations of a bakery; a sundial; ankh symbol on a block of stone in the Amun Temple
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a lecture at the Canadian Institute of Archaeology in Cairo last month, Krzys Grzymski of the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) described the use of modern technology to uncover the origins and topography, history and development of Meroe, an African kingdom which developed along the upper reaches of the Nile about 200km north of Khartoum between 800 BC and 350 AD.

"We began our operations in October 1999, and ancient Meroe is slowly coming to light," Grzymski said. "We first carried out a comprehensive survey of the area, and we are doing our work slowly and thoroughly. There is probably no greater danger to the preservation of an ancient site than hasty excavations, and much of our first season was spent walking over the entire area and recording surface material."

This exercise produced a number of surprises which included errors in earlier published plans of various buildings, numerous unrecorded inscriptions, some graffiti, and many beautifully carved blocks. "Perhaps the most exciting discovery was a stone block bearing the name of King Anlamani (c. 620-600 BC), one of the earliest datable objects ever found at Meroe," Grzymski said.

The UNESCO operations sponsored by the Egyptian and Sudanese governments in the 1960s, when the High Dam in Aswan was destined to inundate all of Nubia, did not include Meroe because it did not fall into the threatened area. Those salvage operations did, however, revive interest in the ancient capital city of Kush, and excavations were resumed in 1965 under the directorship of Peter Shinnie. At first these were on behalf of the University of Khartoum, and later in a joint mission with Canada's University of Calgary.

Domestic and industrial areas were unearthed, several iron-smelting furnaces discovered. Also located were temples dedicated to Isis and the Nubian lion-god Apedemak. Excavations revealed what appeared to be part of a processional avenue leading to a large temple. Also found was a prison, so-called because Herodotus, in the sixth century BC, alluded to prisoners kept in chains of gold.

Although new light is being cast on Meroe, mysteries remain. And it is with a view to drawing back the veil of uncertainty on the African kingdom that Krzys Grzymski and co-director Ali Osman are proceeding to excavate two areas of the ancient city: mound M 712, which was identified, but not excavated, by John Garstang, and parts of the Amun temple, the largest building in the city of Meroe which was never adequately studied.

Modern archaeological surveys are not limited to observing the structures visible on the surface. "Thanks to technological developments, it is now possible to identify structures hidden underground by means of a geophysical survey," Grzymski said. Several different techniques are being used, including a magnetic survey based on identifying anomalies in the ground and a resistivity survey which detects differences in the electrical resistivity of the soil.

Power-point presentations greatly facilitate understanding, but magnetic maps are not for the lay public. Grzymski had to point to part of the area known as the "royal city" (which revealed a large rectangular structure which is possibly a palace), a double row of circles near the city's southern gate which was at first thought to be a monumental colonnade but was later identified as brick-lined pits filled with rich soil brought up from the Nile's banks. "Our magnetic map revealed the existence of similar tree pits at the southern gate," Grzymski said, adding that, "this avenue of verdant trees would have been an impressive sight."

The project is called the "Meroitic revival" and the aim of the team, in contrast to earlier archaeologists who concentrated exclusively on excavations, is site preservation and conservation. Meroe lies within the rain belt, and during the July-September rainy season its soft Nubian sandstone buildings are exposed to serious water erosion, a hazard unknown further north. It is a seriously threatened area.

"Prior to excavations, and on the recommendation of our conservators, we set about trimming trees and removing some of the spoil heaps left by previous excavators," Grzymski said. "This not only makes the site more attractive to visitors but helps to redirect the flow of water away from endangered structures, and moreover it keeps goats from climbing on and destroying the remaining walls."

Meroe has become a popular tourist destination, largely because the sight of archaeologists at work is ever a tourist attraction, and also because there are not many alternatives within reach of Khartoum which is only a couple of hours away by car. "We have had to take the increased flow of Sudanese and foreign visitors into account and provide facilities for them," Grzymski said.

Nubiology is now a recognised discipline. "The study of Nubia extends beyond the Nilotic sites in Egyptian and Sudanese Nubia, into the Eastern Desert as far as the Red Sea coast, and across the Western Desert to include the oases," Grzymski explained.
http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2006/798/he1.htm
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Davita
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 03:48:51 am »

Clockwise from left: map of Nubia showing the location of Meroe; water filling a usually dry canal west of the royal city; excavations of a bakery; a sundial; ankh symbol on a block of stone in the Amun Temple.
Report Spam   Logged

Davita
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 03:50:01 am »

Clockwise from left: map of Nubia showing the location of Meroe; water filling a usually dry canal west of the royal city; excavations of a bakery; a sundial; ankh symbol on a block of stone in the Amun Temple
parent page (8 - 14 June 2006, issue #798)
Report Spam   Logged

Davita
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 03:51:17 am »

Link courtesy of my friend Titiea!
Report Spam   Logged

rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 04:02:20 am »

Pyramids at Meroe

Meroë’s cemeteries form the largest collection of pyramids in the world.

The Amun Temple served as a principle Kushite religious center near Shendi in what is now northern Sudan. This monumental statue is part of a group of twelve identical statues which form the alley leading to the Temple of Amon at Naga. The restoration of the ram's fleece, in spiral curls, is also found on the even larger statues which border the access to the Temple of Amon at Meroe.

Statue (basalt) of a Meroitic queen. She is crowned by another figure standing next to her. Egyptian Museum, Cairo (Catalogue Generale 684). The statue comes from Meroe and is through iconographical details attributed to queen Shanakdakheto. The statue is uninscribed, photo: Udimu (1989)

Meroe and Hellenism
Over the centuries the influence of the African hinterland came to dominate the art of Meroe. Despite this, developments in the countries to the north of Meroe also made themselves felt. In 332 BC Egypt was conquered by Alexander the Great who introduced Hellenistic ideas into the country. However, the effect of this on Egyptian art remained for some time restricted to the region around the new capital of Alexandria in the extreme north west of the country. Not until the Roman period did the influences from Hellenism become visible in more southern areas, such as Upper Egypt and Nubia.

In the first couple of centuries of our era the kingdom of Meroe enjoyed a period of economic prosperity. Trade with the north expanded, for exotic articles, gold and precious stones from the land of Meroe round a ready market throughout the Mediterranean world. And in exchange, it was a sign of status among the Meroitic upper classes to own objects made in a Hellenistic style. Such precious objects round their way into Meroe as part of the exchange trade. Unlike the Greeks and Romans who used coins, in the Meroitic culture goods were bartered.

In around 350AD the kingdom of Meroe lost control over the important trade routes. As a result the culture of the Meroites declined and the curtain fell on the thousand-year-old kingdom of the black pharaohs.
Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
Titiea

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 04:10:04 am »

Here is an excellent site on the history of Nubia. See particularly the chapter on the city of Meroe mentioning the royal bath (so-called "Roman ? bath").
I have seen a photo of this bath on the web but I cannot recover on what site. I will continue to search.

http://www.numibia.net/nubia/history.htm

By other part, I saw on the web that Ptolemee the geographer mentions in his Geographia the existence of an "hippodromos ethiopiae" but its coordonnates seems to be erronated. Unfortunately I didn't find the original part of this text concerning Africa on the web. I will try to find it in a Paris library.

Here are the data I found on the web :

"Ptolemee in his Geography places the middle point of the Theon Ochema, “Chariot of the Gods,” at 5°N, 19°E. The Hippodromos of Ethiopia is placed at 5°15’N, 14°E. According to Ptolemy the Hippodromos is 5° to the west of the Chariot of the Gods."

In my mind, according to the description of the Periple of Hanno the Carthaginian, this volcano (named by African autochtones "Chariot of the gods") which flows into the sea could be located in the triangle of Afars. But actually, it is possibly not so active as in antiquity.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 04:58:51 am by Titiea » Report Spam   Logged

In archeology, ancient traditions must be considered, unless new findings will prove the contrary.
Titiea

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 12:25:22 pm »

Another excellent site with plans, photos and bibliography of the digging in Meroe (with a plan of the royal bath)

http://www.digitalegypt.ucl.ac.uk/nubia/meroe.html
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 12:26:05 pm by Titiea » Report Spam   Logged

In archeology, ancient traditions must be considered, unless new findings will prove the contrary.
Titiea

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 05:19:04 am »

Two articles of 2005 giving many informations on the digging in Jebel Barkal at Napata by Timothy Kendall (Museum of Fine Arts and Northeastern University of Boston) :

http://discovermagazine.com/2005/dec/nubia-black-pharaohs/article_view?b_start:int=0&-C=

For my part, I guess that there could be a pharaoh tomb under the mountain, perhaps the one of Amenophis I because I think his mother, the great queen Ahmose-Nefertari was the eldest daughter of Kamose with a Nubian princess of Meroe (See Flavius Josephe, Antiquity of the Jews, Book II, chapter 10).

It is also a theory of mine that Kamose (= Moyses) reigning for 40 years on Nubia had returned to Egypt at the age of 67 to reign in Thebes under the throne name of Thutmose I (See Louis GINZBERG – The Legends of the Jews. Vol. 2, Part III on this web site :

http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/relg/historygeography/TheLegendsoftheJewsVolume2/chap16.html

Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 04:57:07 pm »

Two articles of 2005 giving many informations on the digging in Jebel Barkal at Napata by Timothy Kendall (Museum of Fine Arts and Northeastern University of Boston) :

http://discovermagazine.com/2005/dec/nubia-black-pharaohs/article_view?b_start:int=0&-C=

For my part, I guess that there could be a pharaoh tomb under the mountain, perhaps the one of Amenophis I because I think his mother, the great queen Ahmose-Nefertari was the eldest daughter of Kamose with a Nubian princess of Meroe (See Flavius Josephe, Antiquity of the Jews, Book II, chapter 10).

It is also a theory of mine that Kamose (= Moyses) reigning for 40 years on Nubia had returned to Egypt at the age of 67 to reign in Thebes under the throne name of Thutmose I (See Louis GINZBERG – The Legends of the Jews. Vol. 2, Part III on this web site :

http://www.worldwideschool.org/library/books/relg/historygeography/TheLegendsoftheJewsVolume2/chap16.html

Dear.............. TITIEA, [/size]

I am afraid that I have to correct your statement, the Great Royal Wife Suten em-Urt,
 Amose Ahmose- Nefertari meri-Amun, was not the Daughter of King Kamose,
because he had no sons or daughters( of his own body.) But She was his Sister-Wife !

Sincerely " BlueHue ":

« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:58:44 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Titiea

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 11:45:45 am »

Rectification : Ahmose Nefertari was not the wife of Kamose, but the wife of his half-brother, Ahmose (I) Neb-pehti-re, first king of the XVIIIth dynasty.
Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 02:21:23 pm »

Rectification : Ahmose Nefertari was not the wife of Kamose, but the wife of his half-brother, Ahmose (I) Neb-pehti-re, first king of the XVIIIth dynasty.

Dear....TITEIA,

According to me,  the Great QUEEN  AMOSE, AHMOSE NEFERTARI
And AMOSE AHMOSE- MERI-AMUN, are NOT Mother & Daughter but the same person.

Amose- Ahmose MERI- AMUN, is the " MERIAMME " of the Bible

Meri-Amun was married to Her halfbrother KAMose/ = Moses,
But later married her OTHER half-brother AHMOSE(= AHaaron.) aswell

From this last issue came SITA- KAMOSE,  ( called TARA-EUROPIS or TARA- ARABIS short: TARBIS in the Bible.)

LATER-ON, AHMOSE also married his own daughter SIT- Kamose.
From THAT union issued 4 Sons who ALL became ( Vice-)Pharaoh's in short Followup.

Amenhotep-1; Thotmes 1. Thotmes-2( who were ALL Brothers NOT Father and Sons .) and One intermediary.

Post Scriptum,24- July-2008
Don't READ " BlueHue's Subscript,( because you might get the Wiser ! )
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 02:27:31 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

Titiea

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 01:41:00 am »

I agree for Merit-Amon = Myriam the sister wife of Kamosis-Moyses.
But I think that Ahmose-Nefertari the wife of Ahmose, was a daughter of Kamosis with a Nubian princess of Meroe (see in Flavius Josephe "Antiquity of the Jews" book II, chapter 10). I think that Ahmose-Nefertari was black as well as her son Amenophis Ist.
The closed and conflictual relationship of Egypt with Kush began at that time. It is also the reason for which during the XXVIIIth dynasty Kush was submitted to Egypt and after that time, the Kushite kings claimed to be the heirs of Egyptian rulers and invaded Egypt.
Report Spam   Logged

Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2008, 08:57:03 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 08:58:56 am by Mario Dantas » Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 02:24:14 pm »

IF SO, she would have been named Ahmose Neferti Tacheri
in my view AHMOSE married his own mother  Neferti- Meri-Amun,
if she still was wise & handsome !

However the Daughter of Kamose ( he had only One) was named SITA( or Sit-)Kamose
She might not have been a natural child of Kamose( whom I think was impotent.)BUT
she must have been a daughter of his temporary Sister-Wife Neferti( with a priesthood or other man.)

Moses did marry a kushite Girl from MIDIAN or a Midian girl from Kush (  Shocked I forget !!!)
But this girl was his own daughter ( Sita-Kamose.)or rather Siphora, from his wife Neferti/ MERIAMME
The Kamose/ Moses family reconstruction is very confusing but the greek version clarifies in  more detailes

SITA- ( Ka-)MOSE was' Nubian' but,  not black nor was Amenhoteb-1
they just happened to rule as vice-roys a territory in Somalia, with Black (= Hamite-) People (=KEMT.) Grin

I agree for Merit-Amon = Myriam the sister wife of Kamosis-Moyses.
But I think that Ahmose-Nefertari the wife of Ahmose, was a daughter of Kamosis with a Nubian princess of Meroe (see in Flavius Josephe "Antiquity of the Jews" book II, chapter 10).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 02:27:45 pm by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: