Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:49:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ruins of 7,000-year-old city found in Egypt oasis
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080129/wl_mideast_afp/egyptarchaeology

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What we think we know

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What we think we know  (Read 3665 times)
19Merlin69

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2007, 08:56:47 pm »

OK, I calmly accept my defeat.  Now, tell me, when these light waves peaks are getting closer together due to deceleration, will amplitude increase?  (I'm thinking like tsunami wave coming ashore...wave slows, wave rises).

Maybe - maybe not.  Energy is not like a physical wave - therefore the same rules do not apply.

And, now that I'm thinking about it (stupid mathematics, anyway), what exactly does a "stopped" wave look like L = (0 m/s) / (4Hz) = 0 meters??

It looks like a Direct Current (DC) potential.  It has an amplitude fixed about 0, but not AT 0.

Does a stopped have a frequency?  Or, if it's stopped, it's not a wave, so wave-functions / terminology no longer apply?

No it does not have a freq.  It becomes a particle (atom or matter) or a field (depending upon the nature we're referring to).

That last one is probably it, since they say "effectively turning light into matter."  OK, then how much does it weigh? Cheesy

That's like asking, "How much does a pound of flesh cost?"  My answer is always the same, "How much you got?"  Anyway, we know how much an electron a proton and a neutron weighs so all we have to do is add up the numbers of constiutent objects and calculate the weight.  Interestingly enough, the amount of energy expended into the "stopping process" figures into the weight as well.  Potential energy adds heaft you know!
Report Spam   Logged

Knowledge is a gift to be given; stupidity, a communicable disease.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: