Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 05:16:53 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Origins of Love - Past, Present or Future

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 210   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Origins of Love - Past, Present or Future  (Read 26994 times)
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2007, 11:28:44 pm »

Aristotle

Member # 2244

Member Rated:
   posted 01-08-2005 12:14 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe I was the one who brought Dahmer into this thread, and I would like to thank you for defending it, Tippy, far more articulately than I could have done. Here are some other examples of how love has drawn people to unreasonable, if not sick, heights:
*Abraham, desperate to please the god he so loved, was prepared to sacrifice his own son before an angel stopped him.

*Menelaus, desperate to get his wife Helen back from Paris, sieged Troy for ten years, all for love.

*The Crusaders, having such love in their hearts for Christianity, invaded the Holy Land, slaying all the Arabs they found in the city of Jerusalem.

*The followers of David Koresh, so in love with their leader, surrendered their wives, their daughters, and lastly, even their lives, when the Branch Davidians were besieged by the F.B.I. in Waco, Texas.

Sorry, that's all I can think of for now, this is early for me, even if it's a Saturday.

Report Spam   Logged

"The unexamined life is one not worth leading."
-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2007, 11:29:16 pm »

Zodiac

Member # 2231

Member Rated:
   posted 01-08-2005 01:33 PM                       
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Love stinks.
So true!

Yet, you have to admit that love actually does exist, else you wouldn't even have that love for your children, pets or whatever.

People needing to be told how much someone loves them, well, that's more about neediness and insecurity than anything else.

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2007, 11:29:53 pm »

HereForNow
Member # 2132

Rate Member   posted 01-08-2005 03:51 PM                       
Dawn,
First off I'd like to thank you for the interest you expressed about this idea...
In all my personal dealings with love and with lust,it was usually something that was brought on by a feeling of ultimate desire.
Liking almost everything about the other.
In the case that had drawn me to marriage,it was a feeling of belonging and acceptance.
Everything I desired a life mate to have was about complete with her. This is where I began to feel this love. As a teen it was impossible for me to know what the differences between love and lust. As the late 20's began to fade away these differences were then as obvious to me as day and night. Now that I have experienced the greatest kinds of love that a human can feel, I now seek that one kind of love that is the rarest of all.

I want to one day feel the embrace of world peace and unconditional love among all living creatures. I know this makes me sound like a tree hugger,don't kill the whales type. In a sence I kinda am... : )
I cried when E.T. Died ok?
LOL

Anyhow, in ways I've come to dislike violent people or anything that has to do with war.
My short coming is; I wouldn't mind all these "enemies", of peace and real love to die off. Because of this, I have judged them and it makes me wrong. This is because with love came the emotion that established the human balance. Hate, the other emotion that is usually brought on by a strong desire of some kind.

Now lust is an interesting subject to me because I have a "Demon" of lust that won't leave me alone to this day. LOL
Sad to say, I am very typical in terms of being a man when it comes to sex. On the other hand, I like everything that goes with it. Because of this impulsive nature of mine, I have 4 great children that I wouldn't trade for anything. Another thing I discovered about it is that stress levels seem to lower drastically after a "Great" night.....

The nature of love to me, is to let love flow as the wind. To feel a complete connection to what ever you focas your desires upon. The need to feel this in a sence is love as well. The warmth of a hug is felt inside like a furnace. The touch of a kiss is the spark that lights the fire.
Suddenly you feel the very essence of the other within you and around you. This energizes you and fills you with an unexplainable happiness. This is when you know that love may possibly be the reason you feel the way you do.

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2007, 11:30:21 pm »

HereForNow
Member # 2132

Rate Member   posted 01-09-2005 08:21 AM                       
Dawn I should have did this yesterday.
Cheers!
The origions of love topic is unbias and seems to make a very valid point. A+
: )

P.S. When training an animal, remember men like jerky too....
Woof-woof (rolls over)

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2007, 11:30:53 pm »

Dawn Moline

Member # 2173

Member Rated:
   posted 01-10-2005 09:16 PM                       

quote:
The nature of love to me, is to let love flow as the wind. To feel a complete connection to what ever you focas your desires upon. The need to feel this in a sence is love as well. The warmth of a hug is felt inside like a furnace. The touch of a kiss is the spark that lights the fire.
Suddenly you feel the very essence of the other within you and around you. This energizes you and fills you with an unexplainable happiness. This is when you know that love may possibly be the reason you feel the way you do.

You should be a poet, HereForNow, I can't remember when I last heard passion expressed so eloquently. I don't think that men and women behave all that differently to how they respond to passion. There's a vibration that happens between human beings, especially just before getting physical where all the world seems possible and everything seems about to explode. I'm a firm believer that sexuality is not something that is immoral, and that when we express our sexuality, in a way, we seem to be reaching out and literally touching Heaven itself.

Marilyn Monroe once said. "Why would God give us such a beautiful gift, and then tell us not to use it?" Marilyn isn't given credit for being a great philosopher, but I certainly share her beliefs on that one.

For a woman, coming of age is quite different, and more complicated than it is for a man. From what I understand, men only understand that they must mate. For a woman, though, it's both a time of great power and often a time of great fear. I'm in my late twenties, unmarried, and have had quite a few lovers in my life, yet still I manage to find myself in situations where I still don't comprehend their making. You never quite learn to handle them all. Life, for me, is rarely boring, and the men in my life have been both a source of solace and one of pain as well. I live for the moments we are together, and yet seem to die with the dawn (my own source of poetry).

It would be a poorer world without love, but it would one lacking all magic at all without lust.

Cheers,

Dawn

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2007, 11:31:19 pm »

Stacy Dohm

Member # 2189

Member Rated:
   posted 01-10-2005 09:53 PM                       
HereForNow,
You sound like you were a real fun date...when you were young! Teehee. (That's just a joke, buddy)

It's funny how things are for a woman. Back when you're young, like in your teens, you're taught you shouldn't misbehave, else people will call you a ****. Then, when you get in your twenties, you start not to care, especially if you get to move away to college.

"For a woman, though, it's both a time of great power and often a time of great fear."

I'll say. There's nothing more powerful than the feeling you have for someone back when you're young. Nothing quite like young love. No matter how many boyfriends I have, or how good they treat me, there's nothing quite like the feeling you get from the first. Everything is new and each brand new feeling is a revelation.

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2007, 11:31:47 pm »

Zodiac

Member # 2231

Member Rated:
   posted 01-11-2005 08:31 PM                       
Does anyone ever really get who they want? I'll come right out and say it since (obviously), I'm not using my real name: I feel like I settled for something less than "love," rather than got the girl I wanted. I was really in love with someone back in college, but for whatever reason, she ended up marrying someone else. She is the one I still think about. And it wasn't even really that she was that beautiful, it's just because everything just seemed to feel right. Luckily, I'm just living with someone, so it doesn't feel like any great betrayal to say this. Life is filled with regrets, I guess.
Hey, maybe me and Stacy should get together since it sounds like she's having problems, too. (Joking here)

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2007, 11:32:26 pm »

Stacy Dohm

Member # 2189

Member Rated:
   posted 01-11-2005 09:13 PM                       
No thank you. Things are better now, I guess I'll have to let you know if anything changes...
(Course I know next to nothing about you..?)

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2007, 11:33:01 pm »

Zodiac

Member # 2231

Member Rated:
   posted 01-11-2005 09:26 PM                       
Yep. You don't...Muhuhahahahahahahhah!!!!

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2007, 11:33:34 pm »

Trevor Proffitt

Member # 2175

Member Rated:
   posted 01-11-2005 09:35 PM                       
I'd like to discuss how men and women seem to "love" differently. Men often get inspired to do great things when they are in love, even if it's just the natural urge to find food, get work, provide for one's family. I think women tend to be more practical. I think they're capable of great loves, too, but I don't think that it provides the same impetus. I've known highly intelligent women that could have had great futures, yet chose to disappear into the anonymity of their husbands' lives and careers instead. A pity. 
Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2007, 11:34:04 pm »

bluducky

Member # 1880

Member Rated:
   posted 01-11-2005 10:11 PM                       
hmm... I wonder how many people's personalities are DIFFERENT here on the forums to what they are in 'real life'?
Personally, you all know me. I am the same in life as I am everywhere else -- cunning, intelligent, merciless, inspiring, annoying, and kind

(oh, and apparently, I'm something of an Adonis. two youngish girls saw me coming out of the cinema recently, and said quite loudly "wow! He's so HOT!" ... hmm.. yes.. they were with guys too (possibly their boyfriends..))

My contribution to the thread. Everything HereForNow has said, plus -- Love is rare. I have found it, but it hurts so much, because, as yet, it is unfulfilled... (difficult circumstances always get in the way)

Time is a wasting.. excuse me...

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2007, 11:34:38 pm »

rockessence

Member # 1839

Member Rated:
   posted 01-12-2005 12:57 AM                       
BLUDUCKY!!!
You are not quite the same on line, because I thought you were a female! Jeeze! I apologise profusely!!!
I'm an old lady of 58 or so, and have had a life-time of great experiences...more fun than anyone deserves. I have found that the old expression from William S. is totally true: "Tis better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all..."

I have always tried to have a good attitude about people, and patience with myself.

I agree, Blu, "Love" is RARE, but only if we are stingy with it. Keep loving people, love them till they can't stand you...

My own experience with "true" love....I met Jack and we lived together for 22 years from the night we met till he died of brain tumor in Feb.2000. We never married. We had a daughter who was 18 when he died. That was "true" love too... I feel "true" love has filled my life.

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2007, 11:35:08 pm »

bluducky

Member # 1880

Member Rated:
   posted 01-12-2005 03:05 AM                       
You mean my suave, charismatic vernacularisms aren't charming, but are SISSY!!??
I'm shocked and horrified

Well, yes, I am very manly indeed, despite the effeminate name which has clung to me; albeit without a personality of my own, I adopted the proper way of a gentleman to feign normalcy

Is it working?

quote:
I agree, Blu, "Love" is RARE, but only if we are stingy with it. Keep loving people, love them till they can't stand you...

I love people, even people I don't know, but rarely is it returned -- but love isn't about wanting something in return, is it?

(I love you, Rock )

The love of a friend can be terribly strong, and true indeed (according to my definition below). We have had a good run with this thread; We have looked at LUST, and what it can make us do; we have looked at what we think LOVE is, and where we think it came from, but -- who knows the definition of LOVE?
as Tippy said:

quote:
 humans, give the meaning to love that we want it to have

To ME, love is STRONG, and always shall be. It is all encompassing, and I want to NEVER leave the object of my affections -- quite obsessive, really.

To me, LOVE, gives every little thing a meaning; every look, every touch, everything that is done, whether for you, or for themselves, and somehow, it just becomes.. special...

To me, LOVE makes the other person a permanent PART of yourself, like an extra limb, an extra mind, and extra heart.

True LOVE, never, EVER dies. If you have it, you will ALWAYS have it, and so will your extra limb  And so, you will be together forever. whether you are married or not, both males, both females, it doesn't matter -- love is not lust.
You will always be friends, and always be very close, and have a connection noone can ever share, or ever replace.

Well, it's time to close my heart now, and finish this post

(i'm not afraid to be sissy.. any men got a problem with that!!?? huh!? huh??!!)

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2007, 11:35:39 pm »

bluducky

Member # 1880

Member Rated:
   posted 01-12-2005 03:13 AM                       
Pardon me. I forgot to add that 'together forever' does not neccessarily mean always physically together, and to anyone who has lost the people they love in this life, I offer you my deepest sympathies, and apologise for perhaps making you re-live painful memories...
Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Dawn Moline
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2007, 11:36:11 pm »

Tippy
Member # 2282

Member Rated:
   posted 01-12-2005 06:34 PM                       
Ducky,
Even though you state that your love is not always returned to you - I think it is. I think you just don't recognize it.

If God is love - then love, by its nature is creation. When you give love - you create - and more love is in the world - hence you reap. To create is to love. Love extends outward simply because it cannot be contained. Being limitless, it DOES NOT STOP. It creates forever, but NOT in
time. God’s creations have ALWAYS BEEN, because HE has always been. YOUR creations
have always been, because you can create only as HE creates. Kind of that "if you build it - they will come...." - you're building - and it will come.

I think we become confused when we view ATTACK as love. Some relationships we set up - are not based on love - because we feel jealously, envy, possessiveness, etc. We think we can lose the love - so we try to protect it - we set up defenses - and in doing so - we bring about the attack - or what we view as a loss, or lack, of love.

The mind that accepts attack CANNOT love. This is because it believes that it can
DESTROY love, and therefore does not understand what love IS. If it does not understand
what love IS, it CANNOT perceive itself as loving. This loses the awareness of being;
induces feelings of unreality; and results in utter confusion. Your own thinking has done this, because of its power. But your own thinking can also save you FROM this, because its power is not of your making. Your ability to DIRECT your thinking as you will IS part of its power. If you do not believe you can do this, you have DENIED the power of your thought, and thus rendered it powerLESS in your belief.

Freedom is creation because it is love. What you seek to imprison you do NOT love. Therefore, when you seek to imprison ANYONE, including YOURSELF, you do not love her/him and you cannot identify with her/him. When you imprison yourself, you are losing
sight of your true identification.

We are told that love is to be found in a gold ring - but it isn't.

Report Spam   Logged

-Plato
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 210   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: