Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 09:23:32 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ancient Crash, Epic Wave
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/11/14/healthscience/web.1114meteor.php?page=1

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Where were the Pillars of Hercules?

Poll
Question: Where were the Pillars of Hercules?
Straits of Gibraltar - 13 (72.2%)
Straits of Dardenelles - 1 (5.6%)
Straits of Bosporus - 1 (5.6%)
in Egypt - 1 (5.6%)
in lower Africa - 0 (0%)
Tunisia-Sicily - 2 (11.1%)
Total Voters: 17

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where were the Pillars of Hercules?  (Read 2979 times)
Chronos
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: March 05, 2007, 09:45:18 pm »

I admit I may have forgotten a possible location.  If anyone has one that was omitted, by all means, say so.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

nikas
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 09:38:05 am »

I dont see TUNISIA-SICILY! the ones that plato refered to.... Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Chronos
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 12:26:27 pm »

Now you do.  Have anymore?
Report Spam   Logged
cleasterwood

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2007, 08:36:18 am »

I voted Egypt.  After all the story originated there and there was a Heracles in ancient Egypt.  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

Ra's Warrior & the Talismans of Time!  http://www.talismansoftime.com
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2007, 10:28:14 am »

I tried to vote for them all Grin  Seems to me Heracles put up pillars for every labor he did, so they're all over the place!
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
cleasterwood

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2007, 12:23:55 pm »

lol
Report Spam   Logged

rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2007, 02:48:18 pm »

Chronos,

It was stated by Felice Vinci that they may be in the Faroe Islands. The "great pillars" of Atlas.  The westernmost island is Mykines....interesting name in the North Atlantic, yes?  He also places Ogygia in the Faroes as well.  This would be a correct placement if he is correct about Homer "in the Baltic", and Scheria (where Ulysses washed up) is on the south-west coast of Norway.  A group of students and Professor Mullen of Bard College will be sailing there this summer to investigate Vinci's work.  Up the coast is Charybdis which is a nasty feature known there as "Maelstrom", Trinakia, the land of the Cyclops and other "hot spots"!

Please read Boreas' last post about the Picts to underline more on this here: http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,424.msg6040/topicseen.html#new
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:04:05 pm by rockessence » Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
Morrison
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 03:26:17 pm »

Much as I hate to echo Georgeos, I don't recall the Pillars of Hercules actually located anyplace other than modern day Gibraltar by the ancient historians.  If anyone has any such mentions, would they mind printing the original material they came from?  I would very much like to take a look at them.
Report Spam   Logged
Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 04:56:56 pm »

Not to worry, Morrison.  You are not echoing Georgeos.  You are echoing what has been understood by scholars and translators for over 2000 years!
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2007, 06:45:30 pm »

Actually, I have read somewhere (can't remember tho) that pillars were erected at sacred sites, and especially Heracles, who put up pillars wherever he did his labours.  As to historically tho, it does seem that the standard is at the Strait of Gibralter.  Georgeos really has studied this stuff - including languages and I do think he's hard to refute if one is being honest. 
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2007, 10:57:36 pm »

Has it been defined ultimately that the "pillars" were even erected, and not a natural formation?
Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
cleasterwood

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 07:43:22 am »

rockessence,
I don't recall any mention of either being stated firmly as fact, but my memory isn't the greatest these days.  It could have been either.
Report Spam   Logged

Apollo
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 04:59:32 pm »

Actually, I have read somewhere (can't remember tho) that pillars were erected at sacred sites, and especially Heracles, who put up pillars wherever he did his labours.  As to historically tho, it does seem that the standard is at the Strait of Gibralter.  Georgeos really has studied this stuff - including languages and I do think he's hard to refute if one is being honest. 

Sorry, Georgeos is, and has always been, quite easily refuted, and it has happened time and again at Atlantis Rising, where most of us originated from.  The problem consistently lies with Georgeos is that he is too arrogant to ever admit that he was wrong, so, of course, he will never admit to when he is.

He places a great deal of stock in his new translation of the ancient Greek texts of Plato, but one has to remember that not only do those original Greek not exist, he can hardly be thought of as an expert in them when he isn't even accredited.
Report Spam   Logged

"Whom the gods destroy, they first make mad."
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 12:26:44 am »

Diodorus mentioned that Heracles put up pillars in the spot where he razed the Amazon city.  I think when I read about Heracles himself, those stories mention also that he erected pillars to brag with. Smiley  The "myth" stories say that Heracles was on his way to do his last labour ( I think it was the last one) where he had to get to an island beyond the coast, but there was no passage, so he took his club and hit the rock to open a passage.  He died there, and supposedly there is a "mountain" cone shaped something or other on each side of Gibralter which are representative of Heracles' legs.  Symbolic of what a great hero - partial God he was I suppose.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Dark30

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 04:29:14 pm »

Wait a minute!!! Huh   I always thought that those were on Mount Olympus!!! Huh
Report Spam   Logged

DARK RAGE
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: