Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:47:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Ice Age blast 'ravaged America'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6676461.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Nymphomania & All It's Vices

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nymphomania & All It's Vices  (Read 1358 times)
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 12:46:52 am »

Nymphomaniacs, lesbians, and prostitutes

By the late nineteenth century, physicians tended to group all sexualised women together: nymphomaniacs, lesbians, and prostitutes. The descriptions of lesbians sound remarkably like those of nymphomaniacs. Two physicians in the Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease described cases of inversion (homosexuality) by pointing to the patients' morbid excitability of sexual desire and weak, irritable nerves. They said of one thirty-five-year-old (lesbian) woman that she "grew quite passionate, threw things about and used improper language" (Shaw and Ferris, 1883, 189). According to the gynaecologist Carlton Frederick, "All sorts of degenerate practices are followed by some [nymphomaniacs]. One of the most frequent is tribadism - the so-called 'Lesbian Love,' which consists in various degenerate acts between two women in order to stimulate the sexual orgasm" (1907,810). Literature describing "lesbic love" should be kept from "young girls and neuropathic women," the British psychiatrist Daniel Hack Tuke argued, because the sensations aroused would "enslave" them and "nymphomania itself" would be established (Tuke 1892,865; Thoinot 1911,465-68; Chauncey 1982-83).

Nymphomaniacs were driven to prostitution to satisfy their desires; prostitutes were often lesbians According to the New York gynaecologist Bernard Talmey, "It is known that Lesbianism is very prevalent among the prostitutes of Paris. ...One-fourth of all the prostitutes in Paris serve as tribadists for the rich women who patronise public houses" ([1904] 1912, 150-51).

Just as physicians assumed that an enlarged clitoris was the sign of nymphomaniacs and prostitutes, they drew attention to hypertrophy of the lesbian's clitoris, which was used, many believed, like a **** in the "imitation of coitus." This construction vividly illustrates the physicians' inability to conceive of the sexual act in any way other than a male, heterosexual model. Indeed, it was the presumed "inversion" of gender role by the "masculine" partner in a lesbian couple that most troubled the Victorians

The late nineteenth-century medical model of biologically based gender roles meant that women who stepped outside the norm were assumed to be diseased. These atavistic women who evidenced too much sexual desire, excessive sexual activity, or "inversion" of their assigned role severely challenged notions of innate female modesty and passivity. The Victorians believed that sexual restraint and adherence to highly differentiated gender roles were both evidence of and necessary for the continuation of the advanced level of civilization they had achieved. Lesbians, nymphomaniacs, and prostitutes - and by extension, suffragists, feminists, and the modern woman - were considered not only diseased, but dangerous as well (Lombroso and Ferrero 1897, 246; Thoinot 1911,469-70; Chauncey 1982-83).

Physicians were particularly upset by the sexual response of very young girls or old women. Too young or too old to reproduce, little girls' and post-menopausal women's sexual desires were considered by some doctors as signs of disease. In a case in 1894, Dr. A. J. Block decided that a thorough physical examination of a nine-year-old girl brought to him by her mother was needed to determine the degree of her perversion (diagnosed as **** tending toward nymphomania). He touched the **** and labia minora and got no response. "As soon as I reached the clitoris," he reported, "the legs were thrown widely open, the face became pale, the breathing short and rapid, the body twitched from excitement, slight groans came from the patient" (Block 1894, 3). Block stated emphatically that the child's violent response proved that the clitoris alone was responsible for her "disease." He performed a clitoridectomy (Block 1894).

http://www.academicarmageddon.co.uk/library/GRONE.htm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 12:47:34 am »

The autobiography of a nymphomaniac

Desperate women patients, embodying the cultural notion of what was appropriate for them to feel sexually, were described in the medical reports as begging doctors to operate on them or on their daughters because excessive sexuality had become unbearable. Unfortunately, these cases are told only from the physician's point of view. I have found only one case in the words of a woman who calls herself a nymphomaniac, and it, too, was mediated through the neurosurgeon, Charles K. Mills's presentation in 1885. The twenty-nine-year-old woman in "A Case of Nymphomania. ..The Patient's History as Told by Herself" incorporated many of the prevailing Victorian notions about nymphomania. She began her story by saying, "1 inherited from my mother a morbid disposition" (Mills 1885, 535). She recounted her attempts to exercise her will against the overpowering nature of the desire: "When I felt tempted, I would kneel and honestly pray to be kept from doing wrong, and then get up and do it [masturbate]; not because I wanted to, but because my life could not go on until the excitement was quieted" (Mills 1885,537). She struggled with the feelings, "At times I felt tempted to seek the company of men to gratify my passion, but was too modest" (Mills 1885, 535). She is "treated" by having her clitoris removed, "but it grew again. ...I tormented doctors to operate again" (Mills 1885,535). They did. "Since removal of the ovaries I have been able to control the desire when awake, but at times in my sleep I can feel something like an orgasm taking place" (Mills 1885,536).

Yet she was also aware of how her limited options had shaped her life. "I had not been educated as I wanted. I had earned my living by labour that occupied my hands, while my mind ambitiously dreamed of work that I would have to climb to. [In seven months in the hospital] I was not once troubled with the nymphomania [because she was studying nursing]; but when I had to give it up and go away, crushed with disappointment, with weakness and poverty. ..when I had to again spend my days in work that held no interest for me, the old morbid depression came back and with it the disease" (Mills 1885, 536). In general, however, the autobiography was permeated by her belief that her feelings of sexual desire were a sign of her disease. "[Even] while I was praying my body was so contorted with the disease that I could not get away from it even while seeking God's help" (Mills 1885,537).

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 12:48:22 am »

Conclusion

By the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, discussions about nymphomania reflected increasing concern over the "New Woman's" greater independence and potential opportunity for sexual experience. Commentators feared the "proletarianization of sexuality" - that is, that middle- and upper-class women who left the safe confines of home to work or attend school would become like working-class women, who were perceived as inordinately lustful and as sexual opportunists.

The ideal of marriage itself would be transformed in the early twentieth century. Greater emphasis on female sexual pleasure as a measure of a successful marriage and a growing acceptance of the separation between reproduction and sexuality would lead to heightened concern about the nature of female sexuality. While Krafft-Ebing had argued in the 1880s that the "normal, untainted wife knows how to control herself" against the urges of unrequited love when a husband does not satisfy her, early twentieth century sexologists were not so sure (Krafft-Ebing [1886] 1965,84). The ideology of companionate marriage with its assumption of mutual sexual satisfaction contained potential risks. Too much sexual desire by the wife - "semi-nymphomania " according to one physician - obviously threatened the husband in ways in which the older notion of female passivity had not (Magian 1922, 76; Freedman 1982, 210; Seidman 1991, 85).

Furthermore, some authors began to focus on the potential ..masculinization" of women who stepped outside the boundaries of family and home. Career women, feminists, educated women who did not marry - a growing number at the turn of the century - were taking on male roles and potentially acquiring the "masculine" trait of aggressive sexual behavior. This concern about women's masculinization coincided with the development of new psychoanalytic theories that reasserted the essential passivity of female sexuality and underscored the notion that a mature, fulfilling sexual experience for a woman could only be achieved through vaginal orgasm in heterosexual intercourse (Freud [1905] 1962, 86-93). Eventually, those women who did not experience vaginal orgasm but maintained their sexual focus and excitement in the clitoris would be diagnosed by psychoanalysts as "frigid."

These new psychodynamic theories opened the way for an understanding of nymphomania as a symptom of a disordered psyche rather than as a biological disease. But they also allowed for a new interpretation of appropriate female sexuality, one in which the threat of a woman's being labelled "not a real woman" could be used to control women's sexual behavior, to shape it in the image of male pleasure, that is, vaginal orgasm.

This shift from a physiological to a psychological explanation of nymphomania during the twentieth century, with all its ramifications, remains to be explored. In the early part of the twentieth century, the pervasive belief that female reproductive organs could cause insanity through reflex action between the brain and pelvis began to be replaced by newer physiological models based on endocrinological discoveries. In addition, late nineteenth-century pessimistic psychological theories rooted in deterministic notions of degeneration and heredity would be superseded by more hopeful psychodynamic explanations. Biological models of nymphomania were not totally discarded, but psychological explanations that pointed to nymphomania as a personality disorder took precedence. New causes of nymphomania - such as an inadequate sense of self, repressed homosexuality, or incomplete psychosexual development - were introduced and psychotherapy recommended as the treatment.

Concerns about sexual desire itself were transformed in the twentieth century from a major focus on hypersexuality to a concentration on the syndrome called "ISD," inhibited sexual desire. Medical writers paid increasing attention to the theory that nymphomaniacs were actually frigid and did not experience orgasm, thus their "insatiability." In a future study, I plan to explore nymphomania and the relationship between twentieth-century biological and psychological theories, new constructions of the nature of women, and the changing realities of women's lives.

The medical diagnosis of nymphomania in the nineteenth century, constructed within a social and cultural context as well as within a scientific one, reflected and reproduced prevailing attitudes about appropriate behavior. Physicians, however, did not speak with a single voice: they did not agree on the nature of the disease, its extent, its treatment, or even what constituted normal female sexuality. In the overlapping and contradictory descriptions of nymphomania, in the intertwining of moral and medical explanations, these physicians reveal much about the nineteenth-century construction and understanding of female sexuality and the nature of women.

Department of History John Jay College, City University of New York

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 12:51:28 am »

References

Abraham, Karl. 1922. "Manifestations of the Female Castration Complex." International Journal of Psycho-Analysis 3(1):1-29.

Acton, William. 1862. Functions and Disorders of Reproductive Organs. 3d ed. London: John Churchill.

Alcott, William. (1866) 1972. The Physiology of Marriage. New York: Arno.

American Journal of Insanity. 1860. "Cases of Hysteria and Hysteromania." American Journal of Insanity 17(2):126-52.

American Journal of Medical Science. 1837. "Nymphomania before Puberty." American Journal of Medical Science 41 (November): 228-30.

American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children. 1873-74. "Case of Excessive ****." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 6(2):294-95.

American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children. 1901. "Transactions of the Woman's Hospital Society." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 43 (January): 720-22.

Astruc, Jean. (1740) 1743. A Treatise on the Diseases Incident to Women, trans. J. R-n. London: T. Cooper.

Barker-Benfield, Graham. 1976. The Horrors of the Half-Known Life: Male Attitudes toward Women and Sexuality in Nineteenth-Century America. New York: Harper & Row.

Bienville, M. D. T. 1775. Nymphomania, or a Dissertation concerning the Furor Uterinus, trans. Edward Sloane Wilmot. London: J. Bew.

Bigelow, H. J. 1859. "Castration as a Means of Cure for Satyriasis." Boston Medical and Surgical Journal 61(Cool:165-66.

Bloch, Iwan. (1908) 1928. The Sexual Life of Our Time. New York: Allied.

Bloch, Ruth. 1978a. "American Feminine Ideals in Transition: The Rise of the Moral Mother, 1785-1815." Feminist Studies 4(3):101-26.

Bloch, Ruth. 1978b. "Untangling the Roots of Modern Sex Roles: A Survey of Four Centuries of Change." Signs: Journal of Women and Culture in Society 4(2):237-52.

Block, A. J. 1894. "Sexual Perversion in the Female." New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal. 22(1):1-6.

Boston City Hospital. 1900. "Case of Unique Surgery." Boston City Hospital, 11th ser., 143.

Brown, Isaac B. 1866. On The Curability of Certain Forms of Insanity, Epilepsy, Catalepsy and Hysteria in Females. London: Robert Hardwicke.

Bucknill, Charles, and Daniel H. Tuke. (1858) 1968. A Manual of Psychological Medicine. New York: Hafner.

Bullough, Vern, and Martha Voght. 1973. "Women, Menstruation and Nineteenth-Century Medicine." Bulletin of the History of Medicine 47(1):66-82.

Chapman, J. Milne. 1883. "On **** as an Etiological Factor in the Production of Gynic Diseases." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 16(5):449-58; 16(6):578-98.

Chauncey, George. 1982-83. "From Sexual Inversion to Homosexuality: Medicine and the Changing Conceptualization of Female Deviance." Salmagundi, nos. 58-59 (Fall-Winter), 114-46.

Chunn, Wm. Pawson. 1887. "A Case of Nymphomania." Maryland Medical Journal 17 (December): 121.

Church, Archibald. 1893. "Removal of Ovaries and Tubes in the Insane and Neurotic." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and children 28(4):491-98,569-73.

Churchill, Fleetwood. 1857. On the Diseases of Women. Philadelphia: Blanchard & Lea.

Clouston, T. S. 1898. Clinical Lectures on Mental Diseases. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lea Brothers.

Copley, Antony. 1989. Sexual Moralities in France, 1780-1980: New Ideas on the Family, Divorce, and Homosexuality, an Essay on Moral Change. London: Routledge.

Cott, Nancy. 1978. "Passionlessness: An Interpretation of Victorian Sexual Ideology." Signs 4(2):219-36.

Cushing, E. W. 1887. "Melancholia; ****; Cured by Removal of both Ovaries." Journal of the American Medical Association 8 (April): 441-42.

Degler, Carl. 1974. "What Ought to Be and What Was: Woman's Sexuality in the Nineteenth Century." American Historical Review 79(5):1467-90.

D'Emilio, John, and Estelle B. Freedman. 1988. Intimate Matters: A History of Sexuality in America. New York: Harper & Row.

Diethelm, Oscar. 1966. "La surexcitation sexuelle" (Sexual overexcitation). L'evolution psychiatrique (Psychiatric development) 31(2):233-46.

Diethelm, Oscar. 1971. Medical Dissertations of Psychiatric Interest before 1750. Basel: Karger.

Digby, Anne. 1989. "Women's Biological Straitjacket." In Sexuality and Subordination: Interdisciplinary Studies of Gender in the Nineteenth Century, ed. Susan Mendus and Jane Rendall. London: Routledge.

Dunn, R. 1849. "Case of Apoplexy of the Cerebellum." Lancet 1:321.

Duprest-Rony, A. P. 1820. "Satyriasis." In Dictionnaire des Sciences Medicales (Dictionary of medical sciences). Vol. 50. Paris: Pancoucke.

Dwyer, Ellen. 1984. "A Historical Perspective." In Sex Roles and Psychopathology, ed. Cathy Widom. New York: Plenum.

Dykstra, Bram. 1986. Idols of Perversity: Fantasies of Feminine Evil in the Fin-de-Siecle Culture. New York: Oxford University Press.

Eccles, Audrey. 1982. Obstetrics and Gynaecology in Tudor and Stuart England. Kent, Ohio: Kent University Press.

Ellis, Albert, and Edward Sagarin. 1964. Nymphomania: A Study of the Oversexed Woman. New York: Gilbert.

Ellis, Havelock. (1906) 1936. Studies in the Psychology of Sex. 2 vols. New York: Random House.

Esquirol, J. E. D. (1845) 1965. Mental Maladies: A Treatise on Insanity. New York: Hafner.

Fellman, Clair, and Michael Fellman. 1981. "The Rule of Moderation in Late Nineteenth-Century American Sexual Ideology." Journal of Sexual Research 17(3):238-55.

Fenichel, Otto. 1933. "Outline of Clinical Psychoanalysis." Psychoanalytic Quarterly 2(3-4):562-91.

Fere, Charles. (1904) 1932. The Sexual Urge: How It Grows or Wanes, trans. Ulrich van der Horst. New York: Falstaff.

Ferrand, Jacques. (1623) 1990. A Treatise on Lovesickness, ed. and trans. Donald A. Beecher and Massimo Ciavolella. Syracuse, N. Y.: Syracuse University Press.

Ferrier, David. 1876. Functions of the Brain. London: Smith, Elder.

Forel, A. (1906) 1924. The Sexual Question: A Scientific, Psychological, Hygienic and Sociological Study. New York: Physicians & Surgeons.

Foucault, Michel. 1965. Madness and Civilization: History of Insanity in the Age of Reason. New York: Vintage.

Francez, J. P. 1888. "Malarial or Paroxysmal Nymphomania." New Orleans Medical and Surgical Journal 15 (February): 623-24.

Frederick, Carlton. 1907. "Nymphomania as a Cause of Excessive Venery." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 56(6):742-44,807-12.

Freedman, Estelle B. 1982. "Sexuality in Nineteenth-Century America: Behavior, Ideology and Politics." Reviews in American History 10 (December): 196-215.

Freedman, Estelle B. 1987. " 'Uncontrolled Desires': The Response to the Sexual Psychopath, 1920-1960." Journal of American History 74 (June): 83-106.

Freud, Sigmund. (1905) 1962. Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality. New York: Basic.

Friedli, Lynne. 1988. "Passing Women." In Sexual Underworlds of the Enlightenment, ed. G. S. Rousseau and Roy Porter. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press.

Gilman, Sander. 1985. "Black Bodies, White Bodies: Toward an Iconography of Female Sexuality in Late Nineteenth-Century Art, Medicine and Literature." Critical Inquiry 12(1):204-42.

Gilman, Sander. 1989. Sexuality: An Illustrated History. New York: Wiley.

Goldberg, Ann E. 1992. "A Social Analysis of Insanity in Nineteenth-Century Germany: Sexuality, Delinquency and Anti-Semitism in the Records of the Eberbach Asylum." Ph.D. dissertation, University of California, Los Angeles.

Goulemot, Jean Marie. 1980. "11 Fureurs Uterines" (Uterine fury). In "Representations de la vie sexuelle" (Representations of the sexual life), special issue of Dix-Huitieme Siecle (Eighteenth century), 97 -111.

Greenberg, David F. 1988. The Construction of Homosexuality. Chicago: University of Chicago, Press.

Hamilton, F. H. 1841. "Varicocele and Extirpation of the Testes, with Remarks upon the Radical Treatment of Varicocele." Boston Medical and Surgical JournaI, 25(10):153-59.

Hamilton, J. A. G. 1903. "Treatment of Nymphomania by Division of Branches of Internal Pudic and Inferior Pudendal Nerves." Australasian Medical Gazette 22 (May): 205-6.

Hammond, William. 1883. A Treatise on Insanity in Its Medical Relations. New York: Appleton.

Hare, E. H. 1962. "Masturbatoty Insanity: The History of an Idea." Journal of Mental Science 108(452):2-25.

Hegar, Alfred. 1884. "Spaying as a Remedy for Nervous and Psychical Affections." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 17(11): 1199-1202.

Hillary, James Jager. 1883. "Behavior of the Uterus during Orgasm." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 16(11): 1170-71.

Hirschfeld, Magnus. (1944) 1956. Sexual Anomalies: The Origins, Nature and Treatment of Sexual Disorders. New York: Emerson.

Hitschmann, Edward, and Edmund Bergler. 1949. "Frigidity in Women: Restatement and Renewed Experiences." Psychoanalytic Review 36(1):45-53.

Hor and Sprague. 1841. "Case of Nymphomania." Boston Medical and Surgical Journal 25(4):61-62.

Homey, Karen. 1933. "Psychogenic Factors in Functional Female Disorders." American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 25(5):694- 704.

Howe, Joseph W. 1883. Excessive Venery, **** and Continence. New York: Bermingham.

Huhner, Max. (1916) 1920. Disorders of the Sexual Function in the Male and Female. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis.

Hunter, Richard, and Ida Macalpine. 1963. Three Hundred Years of Psychiatry. London: Oxford University Press.

Jordanova, Ludmilla. 1989. Sexual Visions: Images of Gender in Science and Medicine between the Eighteenth and Twentieth Centuries. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.

Journal of Psychological Medicine and Mental Pathology. 1849a. "Analytic Reviews." Journal of Psychological Medicine and Mental Pathology 2 (January): 19-30:

Journal of Psychological Medicine and Mental Pathology. 1849b. "On the Pathology and Characteristics of Insanity." Journal of Psychological Medicine and Mental Pathology 2 (October): 534-54.

Kieman, James G. 1891. "Psychological Aspects of the Sexual Appetite." Alienist and Neurologist 12(2):188-219.

Kieman, James G. 1916. "Sexology: Increase of American Inversion." Urologic and Cutaneous Review 20(1):44-46.

Krafft-Ebing, Richard von. (1886) 1965. Psychopathia Sexualis. New York: G. P. Putnam's Sons.

Lancet. 1825-26. "Case of Idiocy in a Female, accompanied with Nymphomania, cured by the excision of the Clitoris." Lancet 1:420-21.

Lancet. 1828-29. "Dr. Blundell on the Genital Parts and Diseases of the Vulva." Lancet 2:642-44.

Lancet. 1849. "Case of Apoplexy in the Cerebellum." Lancet 1:319-20.

Laqueur, Thomas. 1987. "Orgasm, Generation, and the Politics of Reproductive Biology." In The Making of the Modern Body: Sexuality and Society in the Nineteenth Century, ed. Catherine Gallagher and Thomas Laqueur. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.

Laqueur, Thomas. 1990. Making Sex: Body and Gender from the Greeks to Freud. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.

Lombroso, Cesare, and William Ferrero. 1897. The Female Offender. New York: D. Appleton.

Louyer-Villermay, J. B. 1819. "Nymphomanie." In Dictionnaire des Sciences Medicales. Vol. 36. Paris: Pancoucke.

Lunbeck, Elizabeth. 1987. " 'A New Generation of Women': Progressive psychiatrists and the Hypersexual Female." Feminist Studies 13(3):513-43.

Lydston, Frank. 1889. "Sexual Perversion, Satyriasis and Nymphomania." Medical and Surgical Reporter. 61(10):253-85.

Lydston, Frank. 1904. The Diseases of Society. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott.

Maaskant-Kleibrink, Marianne. 1980. "Nymphomania." In Sexual Asymmetry: Studies in Ancient Society, ed. Josine Blok and Peter Mason. Amsterdam: J. C. Gieben.

McCully, S. E. 1883. "**** in the Female." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 16(Cool:844-46.

Magendie, M. 1836-37. "Lectures on the Physiology of the Nervous System." Lancet 2:463-65, 505.

Magian, A. C. 1922. Sex Problems in Women. London: Heinemann.

Martin, John Rutledge. 1978. "Sex and Science: Victorian and Post-Scientific Ideas in Sexuality." Ph.D. dissertation, Duke University.

Maudsley, Henry. 1867. The Pathology of Mind. London: Julian Friedmann.

Maudsley, Henry. 1873. Body and Mind. London: MacMillan.

Meigs, Charles D. (1848) 1859. Woman: Her Diseases and Remedies. Philadelphia: Blanchard & Lea.

Mills, Charles K. 1885. "A Case of Nymphomania with Hystero-Epilepsy and Peculiar Mental Perversions - the Results of Clitoridectomy and Oophorectomy - The Patient's History as Told by Herself." Philadelphia Medical Times 15 (April): 534-40.

Mitchinson, Wendy. 1982. "Gynaecological Operations on Insane Women: London, Ontario, 1895-1901." Journal of Social History (Spring), 467-84.

Moscucci, Ornella. 1990. The Science of Woman: Gynaecology and Gender in England, 1800-1929. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Occidental Medical Times. "Nymphomania; Phleboliths." 1901. Occidental Medical Times 15 (June): 213-14.

Oppenheim, Janet. 1991. Shattered Nerves: Doctors, Patients and Depression in Victorian England. New York: Oxford University Press.

Parke, J. Richardson. 1908. Human Sexuality: A Medico-Literary Treatise on the Laws, Anomolies, and Relations of Sex with Special Reference to Contrary Sex Desires. 2d ed. Philadelphia: Professional.

Payne, R. L. 1859. "A Case of Nymphomania." Medical Journal of North Carolina 2(3):569-70.

Perrot, Michelle, ed: 1990. A History of Private Life. Vol. 4, From the Fires of Revolution to the Great War. Cambridge, Mass.: Belknap Press, Harvard University Press.

Phillips, L. M. 1895. "Nymphomania; Reply to Questions." Cincinnati Medical Journal 10(7):467-71.

Polack, John O. 1897. "A Case of Nymphomania." Medical News: New York 71 (September): 301-2.

Poovey, Mary. 1987. " 'Scenes of an Indelicate Character': The Medical 'Treatment' of Victorian Women." In The Making of the Modern Body: Sexuality and Society in the Nineteenth Century, ed. Catherine Gallagher and Thomas Laqueur. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.

Porter, Roy. 1986. .'Love, Sex and Madness in Eighteenth-Century England." Social Research 53(2):211-42.

Ripa, Yannick. 1990. Women and Madness: The Incarceration of Women in Nineteenth-Century France. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.

Rohe, George H. 1892. '.The Relation of Pelvic Disease and Psychical Disturbances in Women." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 26(5):694-726.

Rousseau, G. S. 1982. "Nymphomania, Bienville and the Rise of Erotic Sensibility." In Sexuality in Eighteenth-Century Britain, ed. Paul Gabriel Bouce. Manchester: Manchester University Press.

Routh, C. H. F. 1887. '.On the Etiology and Diagnosis Considered Specially from a Medico-Legal Point of View for Those Cases of Nymphomania Which Led Women to Make False Charges against Their Medical Attendants." British Gynaecological Journal 2(Cool:485-511.

Russett, Cynthia Eagle. 1989. Sexual Science: The Victorian Construction of Womanhood. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press.

Sahli, Nancy. 1979. '.Smashing: Women's Relationships before the Fall." Chrysalis 8 (Summer): 17-27.

Schiebinger, Londa. 1987. .'Skeletons in the Closet: The First Illustrations of the Female Skeleton in Eighteenth-Century Anatomy." In The Making of the Modern Body: Sexuality and Society in the Nineteenth Century, ed. Catherine Gallagher and Thomas Laqueur. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press.

Schlossman, Steven, and Stephanie Wallach. 1978. "Precocious Sexuality: Female Juvenile Delinquency in the Progressive Era." Harvard Educational Review 48(1):63-87.

Schrenk-Notzing, A. von. 1895. Therapeutic Suggestions in Psychopathia Sexualis, trans. Charles Gilbert Chaddock. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis.

Scull, Andrew. 1986. "The Clitoridectomy Craze." Social Research 53(2): 243-60.

Seidman, Steven. 1991. Romantic Longings: Love in America, 1830-1980. New York: Routledge.

Sharpe, F. S. 1874. "Hair-pin in the Female bladder." American Journal of Medical Sciences 68: 577-78.

Shaw, J. C., and G. N. Ferris. 1883. "Perverted Sex Instinct." Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 10(2):185-204.

Sherwood-Dunn, B. 1897. "Conservation of the Ovary." Transactions of the American Association of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists: Minutes of the Proceedings of the Tenth Annual Meeting, August 17-20,189710:195-234.

Shorter, Edward. 1992. From Paralysis to Fatigue: A History of Psychosomatic Illness in the Modern Era. New York: Free Press.

Shortland, Michael. 1987. "Courting the Cerebellum: Early Organological and Phrenological Views of Sexuality." British Journal for the History of Science 20:173-99.

Shortt, S. E. D. 1986. Victorian Lunacy: Richard M. Bucke and the Practice of Late Nineteenth-Century Psychiatry. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Showalter, Elaine. 1985. The Female Malady: Women, Madness and English Culture, 1830-1980. New York: Pantheon.

Skultans, Vieda. 1975. Madness and Morals: Ideas on Insanity in the Nineteenth Century. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul.

Sloan, M. G. 1888. "Sexual Desire in Infancy." Journal of the American Medical Association 10(23):731-32.

Smith, A. Laptham. 1900. "A Case in Which Sex Feeling First Appeared after Removal of Both Ovaries." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 42(6):839-42.

Smith-Rosenberg, Carroll. 1985. Disorderly Conduct: Visions of Gender in Victorian America. New York: Knopf.

Smith-Rosenberg, Carroll, and Charles Rosenberg. 1973. "The Female Animal: Medical and Biological Views of Woman and Her Role in Nineteenth-Century America." Journal of American History 60(2):332-56.

Stewart, William. 1889. "A Remarkable Case of Nymphomania and Its Cure." Transactions of the American Association of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists 2:260-62.

Storer, Horatio. 1856. "Cases of Nymphomania. American Journal of Medical Science 32(10):378-87.

Storer, Horatio. 1869. "Obstinate Erotomania." American Journal of Obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 1(4):423-26.

Sutcliffe, J. A. 1889. "Excision of the Clitoris in a Child for Nymphomania." Indiana Medical Journal 8(3):64-65.

Tait, Robert Lawson. 1888. "Note on the Influence of Removal of the Uterus and Its Appendages on the Sexual Appetite." British Gynaecological Journal 4(15):310-17.

Talmey, Bernard. (1904) 1912. Woman, A Treatise on the Normal and Pathological Emotions of Feminine Love. New York: Practitioners.

Terry, Jennifer. 1990. "Lesbians under the Medical Gaze: Scientists Search for Remarkable Differences." Journal of Sex Research 27(3):317-39.

Thoinot, Leon. 1911. Medicolegal Aspects of Moral Offenses. Philadelphia: F. A. Davis.

Tilt, Edw. J. 1869. A Handbook of Uterine Therapeutics and of Diseases of Women. 2d ed. New York: Appleton.

Tomes, Nancy. 1990. "Historical Perspectives on Women and Mental Illness." In Women, Health and Medicine in America, ed. Rima D. Apple. New York: Garland.

Transactions of the American Medical Association. 1868. "Report on Insanity." Transactions of the American Medical Association. Minutes of the Nineteenth Annual Meeting 19:161-88.

Tuke, Daniel Hack. 1892. A Dictionary of Psychological Medicine. Vol. 2. Philadelphia: P. Blakeston, Son.

Vaille, H. R. 1868. "Case of Puerperal Nymphomania." Boston Medical and Surgical Journal 79(10):184.

Wack, Mary. 1990. Lovesickness in the Middle Ages. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.

Walton, John Tompkins. 1857. "Case of Nymphomania Successfully Treated." American Journal of Medical Science 33(1):47-50.

Weeks, Jeffrey. 1986. Sexuality. London: Routledge.

Welch, George T. 1889. "Satyriasis Caused by Varicocele, and Ceasing after Successful Operation for the Latter." Medical Record 36(7): 181.

Wells, T. Spencer, Alfred Hegar, and Robert Battey. 1886. "Castration in Nervous Diseases: A Symposium." American Journal of Medical Science 92(10): 455-90.

Wylie, W. Gill. 1901. "Amputation of the Clitoris." American Journal of obstetrics and Diseases of Women and Children 43(5):720-23.

Young-Bruehl, Elisabeth. 1990. Freud on Women: A Reader. New York: Norton.

Report Spam   Logged
Veronica Poe
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 12:52:45 am »

The point is (if you read the articles) that nymphomania is a myth created by doctors of the Victorian times because they didn't understand female sexuality. We are brainwashed today into thinking that it's an actual conditon. It isn't, just another creation. I thought that was interesting, anyway.

Peace,

Veronica
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: