Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:33:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Where Was Atlantis?

Poll
Question: Where Was Atlantis? (Choose 3)
Mid-Atlantic (Azores) - 4 (9.5%)
Eastern Atlantic (Canaries, Madeiras, Cape Verde) - 6 (14.3%)
Western Atlantic (Cuba, Sargasso Sea, Bimini Bermuda) - 4 (9.5%)
North America - 0 (0%)
Central America - 1 (2.4%)
South America - 1 (2.4%)
Antarctica - 4 (9.5%)
Greenland - 2 (4.8%)
Santorini - 0 (0%)
Crete - 1 (2.4%)
Cyprus - 2 (4.8%)
Spain - 0 (0%)
Morocco - 0 (0%)
Troy & Turkey - 2 (4.8%)
Sardinia - 0 (0%)
Libya - 2 (4.8%)
Malta - 2 (4.8%)
Ireland - 1 (2.4%)
Great Britain - 1 (2.4%)
Indonesia - 1 (2.4%)
Ceylon - 0 (0%)
Arab Peninsula - 1 (2.4%)
On another world - 3 (7.1%)
Plato's imagination - 4 (9.5%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where Was Atlantis?  (Read 3610 times)
Chronos
Administrator
Superhero Member

« on: March 05, 2007, 09:42:25 pm »

I think I covered every location, if anyone has one they believe was omiitted, by all means, let me know.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jake

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 06:27:52 pm »

It is my intuative belief that "Atlantis" was a vessel or conglomeration of vessels. Large, yes, but not impossible. As far as its location, my gut tells me somewhere in the mid Atlantic region, but long before the Atlantic ocean looks as it does today. Circa 100,000's years ago.

Once again, just my humble opinion. Smiley

Jake
Report Spam   Logged
erin
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 03:55:21 am »

Jake,

If land exists 100,000 years ago, how would such memory be preserved to Plato's day?

Erin
Report Spam   Logged
Anteros

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 06:32:21 pm »

Hello Chronos, how have you been?  Smiley  I think I now believe that it was Antartica so it gets one vote!
Report Spam   Logged

"A planet of playthings, we dance on the strings of Powers we cannot perceive."

Rush  --> "Freewill"
Chronos
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 01:28:01 pm »

Hello Anteros,

Great to see you around again, I am well.  Where have you been for so long?

I agree that Antarctica is an intriguing possibility, and was actually the most popular theory in the 1990s.  How did you come to place your belief in that one, by the way?
Report Spam   Logged
rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 01:46:54 pm »

The Bock saga tells that before ice-time the north pole was where Helsinki is now.... the earth was perpendicular to the sun so it was warm from pole to pole....and the southern pole was in the sea.  The landmass which is now under the southern icecap was more similar to NZ or southern Aus. in latitude.  That time was called Pa Ra Dis Et (paradise time) by the Aser, and they say it ended with the event of the 1st Ragnarok (total devastation), the onset of Ice-time about 55 million yrs. ago, which must have begun with a massive event, eventually ending with a planetary tilt of about 17 degrees.   It would seem that the poles would have been the most liveable areas on the planet before then.  Note the presence of amber, resin from a semi tropical conifer in the Baltic Sea area.   Those types of trees are still producing younger amber in the Caribbean and tropical Colombia.
Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
Anteros

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 09:11:45 pm »

Chronos, it is good to see you also, my learned friend.

I've been struggling through life, fighting the daily tide of entropy and trying to stay afloat. By grace I am well and whole and hope to continue my learning here.

As for how I've decided that it's Antartica, I have recently read the Flem-Ath's text and found it compelling. I'm hopefully going to be able to do some more research now to see if I can cement that belief and will also be reading that text again soon.

And even before I read the book I had ruled out anything having to do with the Mediterranean. In my opinion, that is true to Plato and it took away a lot of distractions.

Rocky, that's interesting stuff. I still have my old bookmarks, including a link I believe you gave me for the Bock Saga page. I will definitely be looking into it soon.

Woo-hoo!! the Red Sox just took the lead against the hated Yankees! See you around! Grin
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 10:45:02 pm by Anteros » Report Spam   Logged

Rush  --> "Freewill"
Stacy Dohm
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 01:15:36 am »

(Now there are two votes for Antarctica!)

Anteros, if you really believe that Atlantis was in Antarctica, you really have to read my Atlantis in Antarctica thread here:

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,500.0.html

It opens with the satellite images of a circular object seen beneath the ice of Antarctica, as seen in the Ted Danson documentary "Search for Atlantis" a few years ago. Those pictures are pretty rare, but I managed to swipe them off a fellow forum member!

Too bad it is so expensive to do excavations down there, else we would already have our proof.  We all know, the Russians and the Americans are there all the time, searching for something.
Report Spam   Logged

"All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream." - Edgar Allen Poe
Anteros

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 12:48:14 am »

Good God, Stacy!!

That's an awesome amount of research you've done. It's going to take me forever to follow up on all this but thank you for all the info. I need to get my hands on copies of the Hapgood books. www.amazon.com hasn't failed me yet.  Cheesy

I have a lot of reading up to do but this is exciting stuff. Hope to contribute to that thread in the future.

Report Spam   Logged

Rush  --> "Freewill"
Chronos
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 03:55:11 pm »

Anteros,

I've read the Flem-Ath research myself and found it intriguing (though not entirely convincing).  Antarctica has long been a favorite of mine as well, more for all the intrigue surrounding it than anything else.

There was a Sci-Fi Channel special (who's name I forget) postulated a different Antarctica theory by a person by the name of Alex Khonetti. (Alex has been invited here but hasn't shown yet).  His ideas are pretty interesting as well, and also involve the landscapes in lower South America, have you heard of him?
Report Spam   Logged
Anteros

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 04:40:07 pm »

Chronos said:

There was a Sci-Fi Channel special (who's name I forget) postulated a different Antarctica theory by a person by the name of Alex Khonetti. (Alex has been invited here but hasn't shown yet).  His ideas are pretty interesting as well, and also involve the landscapes in lower South America, have you heard of him?

No, I haven't heard of him. I searched every engine I could and I found nothing. You remember anything more specific about that program?
Report Spam   Logged

Rush  --> "Freewill"
Chronos
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 11:52:58 am »

I spelled his name wrong, actually, it's:

ALEX CHIONETTI
48 years old.

Born in Argentina.

Moved to Red Bank in 2001.

Returned from March expedition to the caves of Tayos in Ecuador.

Has written freelance articles about other expeditions to the Caves of Tayos; was given artifacts and documents by the late explorer Juan Moricz.

Former executive producer and Los Angeles resident.

Featured in Sci-Fi channel "Quest for Atlantis" documentary for his research and theories.

Chionetti holds a spear he says struck him as he fled from the natives who control the region.

Red Bank writer-explorer has tale to tell on film
Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 04/21/07
BY LARRY HIGGS
COASTAL MONMOUTH BUREAU

Post Comment
RED BANK — Alex Chionetti doesn't look like Indiana Jones, the fictional archaeologist and adventurer, but Chionetti's experiences, in his quest to explore the ancient Caves of Tayos in Ecuador, could rival the movie character's adventures.

Home after a March expedition, Chionetti is tired from literally running for miles as his expedition fled for their lives, finally leaving behind any extra clothing, gear and a camera so they could outrun their pursuers.

Chionetti, 48, went to Ecuador to document the caves and the civilization that lived in them, and to find clues to a library of ancient writings and scripture thought to be in the caves.

Chionetti, who has participated in a Sci-Fi cable channel documentary about Atlantis and written articles about other expeditions to Ecuador, has collected information about the Ecuadoran caves. He continues the work done by Scottish explorer Stanley Hall, who led the largest expedition to the caves in 1976 with astronaut Neil Armstrong, and Juan Moricz, an Argentinian-Hungarian who explored the caves in 1969.

"The quest for the caves is part of my life," said Chionetti, who grew up in Argentina, moved to Red Bank in 2001 and makes his living doing freelance writing and production work. "The caves are the (Mount) Everest of archaeology. Now, they are forbidden (by local tribes to be visited), and it almost cost me my life."

The caves bear evidence of an ancient civilization that once lived there. There are writings on the cave walls of unknown age, and Chionetti produced photos he took of doorways and arches built inside the caves.

"We calculate it's 12,000 years old. The stones (in arches and doorways) are a perfect fit," he said.

The caves also contain formations of gold, and they are home to the Tayos bird, which is about the size of a falcon. The bird is revered by the native tribes, and navigates by sonar, similar to a bat, he said.

Because of oil drilling and mining in the region, the Shuars (a native tribe formerly known as the Jivaros) don't trust Americans or Canadians, and restrict access to the caves, he said. The Shuars have been known historically for their custom of head-hunting.

"The word I'm associating with Alex is tenacity," Hall said in a telephone interview Friday from Scotland. "He was determined to get some film. Hats off to him."

Chionetti interviewed Hall about his expedition for magazine articles and started gathering information from him for his own expedition, Hall said.

He also interviewed Moricz before his death in 1999 and decided to mount an expedition in his memory, Chionetti said.

His fascination with the caves and ancient civilizations prompted him to go from interviewer to explorer. Hall warned him of the pitfalls.

"I talked with him long about the many difficulties he'd face — and he'd come to realize I was right — on the dangerous and difficult people he'd have to deal with," Hall said.

Hall said he was concerned because he hadn't heard from Chionetti since receiving a letter he wrote during the March expedition.

"He did get in trouble, wrote to me and told me he was being chased out of the area," Hall said. "It's more than a tourist visa and a trip."

Chionetti's first expedition, in October, failed to reach the main entrance to the caves. The most recent, in March, was done with training and help from the Ecuadorian Air Force Intervention and Rescue team, said Chionetti, who financed his expeditions himself with some help from Argentinian television.

The caves, which are thought to be a little over two miles long, are located in the Coangos River area, and his expedition forced him to cross that and two other rivers, the Mongosa and Santego. He had to negotiate with various political factions that control the territories the expedition had to pass through and with the Shuars, who control the area at the mouth of the caves.

To access the caves, the expedition of six people had to set up a tripod to lower people straight down in the cave about 100 meters, or more than 300 feet.

"It is the most fantastic experience to desend into Mother Earth," Chionetti said.

Two Indian guides were left to protect the climbing apparatus from the Shuars.

"The fear is they'll cut the ropes," Chionetti said. "If they cut the ropes, you're gone. There are supposed to be two entrances, one which goes to the river, but no one has found it."

Chionetti took photos and shot film for a documentary he hopes to make. He wanted to stay longer, but the Ecuadorian members of his team got word that the Shuars had a dispute with one of the guides and that their lives were in danger.

The expedition had to move quickly to stay ahead of the Shuars, and they bargained with local officials for passage along the way, trading flashlights and a generator.

Finally making it to the river, the expedition hid in the home of Christian missionary overnight.

"The lady said, "Very bad people are looking for you and want to take your life,' " Chionetti said. "She said, "You remain here, and we'll cross you the next day.' "

No one slept that night; all kept watch, he said.

"I prayed," Chionetti said.

They left at 5 a.m. and crossed the river by means of a basket pulled to the other side with ropes. On the shore, they found the remains of a Shuar encampment, he said.

"If we'd been walking faster and come there hours earlier, we'd be history," Chionetti said.

After cutting the rope, they heard gunshots. They began a marathon race for their lives until they got back to town, where transportation was supposed to be waiting, he said. Because they were late, however, it was gone and they took the bus, riding for three hours to safety, he said.

"I lost one of the tapes that I recorded in the cave," Chionetti said.

Now Chionetti is doing editing and post-production on the documentary, but hopes to negotiate with a network or a show to help with the work. He is working various jobs to finance the project.

Despite the run for his life, Chionetti said he hopes to return to the caves.

"I've gotten a lot of gray hairs in the past six months," he said. "I've got another clue of the real location of the lost library. I'm going back."

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070421/NEWS/704210334
Report Spam   Logged
Anteros

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 09:38:48 pm »

Ah... excellent. Thank you. I will be researching this new angle.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Rush  --> "Freewill"
Mark of Australia

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2007, 01:26:31 pm »

Wow Chronos ,
                        That story about the caves of Tayos is fascinating .

I am confused , what was Neil Armstrong up to ?? and if there is some lost ancient library ,why is it not being looked into by the government of Ecuador?  although I realize that might be a stupid question given how notorius South American governments are.
Report Spam   Logged
Mario Dantas
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 01:04:41 pm »

Hi People,

Atlantis > Where Was Atlantis?

There is a semantical question that should be posed!

If it was there, and it is no more, where is it?

observe that:

Mid-Atlantic (Azores)  4 (13.8%)

Eastern Atlantic (Canaries, Madeiras, Cape Verde)  4 (13.8%)

Western Atlantic (Cuba, Sargasso Sea, Bimini Bermuda)  4 (13.8%)

That is a clear indication of a tendency towards the Atlantic region, as stated by Critias.

I think that at, least, the truth condition of Atlantis being in the Atlantic is starting to show. Since there is this little Innuendo, i will vote for my Country's (Eastern Atlantic) which is where i think Atlantis was, but not where it is today. I will not vote for Greenland for those reasons and in protest for your silence, have all a tremendous time.

Atlantic regions within the boundaries of the Ancient location of the Island are, then, legitimately ancient Atlantean regions. but the real Atlantis that existed there, is not there anymore.

M

« Last Edit: May 28, 2008, 01:05:16 pm by Mario Dantas » Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: