Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:06:42 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Secrets of ocean birth laid bare 
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5191384.stm#graphic

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

They’re doing a huge, massive domestic dragnet on everybody in the United States

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: They’re doing a huge, massive domestic dragnet on everybody in the United States  (Read 112 times)
MinisterofInfo
Superhero Member

« on: November 08, 2007, 09:02:54 pm »

AT&T whistleblower Mark Klein to Senate: "they’re doing a huge, massive domestic dragnet on everybody in the United States"
Submitted by lambert on Wed, 2007-11-07 13:54.

Bush Panopticon Department of When Foil is not Foily AT&T Chris Dodd Mark Klein warrantless surveillance
[UPDATE: Comedy gold! Pravda on the Potomac’s weak-chinned Fred Hiatt buries the story on D01.]

[UPDATE: SJC puts off granting the telcos immunity, because the Republicans demanded more time to consider the 26 amendments. At least they didn’t go with Spector’s bogus Compromise, where the Federal government—that is, you and me as taxpayers—would have assumed the liability the telcos are on the hook for. Modified rapture.]

Here’s my transcript:
My name’s Mark Klein; I used to be an AT&T technician for 22 years.

What I figured out when I got there [AT&’s secret room at 611 Folsom Street, SSan Francisco] is that they were copying everything flowing across the Internet cables, and the major Internet links between AT&T’s network and other company’s networks, and it struck me at the time that this is a massively unconstitutional, illegal operation.

It affects not only AT&T’s customers, but everybody, ‘cause these links went to places like Sprint, Qwest, a whole bunch of other companies, and so they’re basicallly tapping into the entire Internet.

But isn’t the government only monitoring suspected terrorsits and not ordinary Americans?

To perform what they say they want to do, which is look at international traffic, none of this makes any sense. These installations only make sense if they’re doing a huge, massive domestic dragnet on everybody, in the United States.

Shouldn’t the telecoms trust that the Bush Administration’s requests are legal?

These companies know very well what’s legal and what’s illegal; they’ve been dealing with this for decades. And it’s a fact that Qwest refused the NSA’s approach, becuase they weren’t showing any legal justificaiton for it, and they did the right thing and said No.

What I’m here for is, it looked like a few weeks ago that the Senate bill which passed the Intelligence Committee would give immunity to the telecom companies and that would probably put an end to the lawsuits. So I came here to lobby against giving retroactive immunity to the telecom companies, and let the court cases process, and Congress should not interfere in that.

As we’ve been saying. Nice to see the Beltway Dems stepping up on this, to preserve our Constitutional rights. Oh, wait… Just to refresh your memories—Harry, Nance; Hillary—here’s the Fourth Amendment of the United States:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the [electronically addressable] place to be searched, and the persons or [digital] things to be seized.
Back in the 1700s, “papers and effects” were letters and records, on physical media, like dead trees and parchment. This—Harry, Nance; Hillary—is three hundred years later. My email is digital paper. My web site an electronic effect. The government has no right to read them without a warrant.

NOTE Sign Chris Dodd’s petition against retroactive im[p|m]munity for the telcos here.

UPDATE Via the ever-excellent FDL, the numbers to call:

Sen. Harry Reid — (202) 224-3542     FAX  202-224-7327

Senate Judiciary Committee Contact Information:

Every Senate direct dial number can be found here (including links to just about every senator’s web page, which include both DC office contact information and local office numbers as well).  You can reach your Senators toll free thanks to these numbers that katymine found:

1 (800) 828 - 0498
1 (800) 614 - 2803
1 (866) 340 - 9281
1 (866) 338 - 1015
1 (877) 851 - 6437

Also, the Senate Judiciary Committee membership and contact information is as follows:

State Name strong>Phone Fax
DE Joe Biden (202) 224-5042 (202)-224-0139
VT Patrick J. Leahy (202) 224-4242 (202) 224-3479
MA Edward M. Kennedy (202) 224-4543 (202) 224-2417
WI Herbert Kohl (202) 224-5653 (202) 224-9787
CA Dianne Feinstein (202) 224-3841 (202) 228-3954
WI Russell D. Feingold (202) 224-5323 (202) 224-2725
NY Charles E. Schumer (202) 224-6542 (202) 228-3027
IL Richard J. Durbin (202) 224-2152 (202) 228-0400
MD Benjamin Cardin (202) 224-4524 (202) 224-1651

Be polite! What’s so hard about wanting Bush and the telcos to obey the law?

http://www.correntewire.com/at_t_whistleblower_mark_klein_to_senate_they_re_doing_a_huge_massive_domestic_dragnet_on_everybody_in_the_united_states
« Last Edit: November 08, 2007, 09:04:08 pm by MinisterofInfo » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 11:09:06 pm »

thanks for posting this... I hope it gets read!  And used!
Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
MinisterofInfo
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 08:55:02 pm »

You're welcome, hopefully others will read it and wake up to what their government is doing to them!
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:36:26 am »

The only thing tho is that if a politician is already on the Illuminati payroll then all you will get is a "Thank You for your concern."  letter and they'll keep right on doing the same damned thing.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 03:15:35 am »

Vote Ron Paul or lose it all.
Report Spam   Logged
cleasterwood

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2007, 07:46:26 am »

Read the second paragraph in the Declaration of Independence.  Pay attention to what I've put into bold writing.   

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.--That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-- Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

What our government is doing now goes against everything our founding fathers were trying to establish.Yet there is no changing it. One of the problems I see though is that the Constitution does not protect us where this is concerned.  So, if people were to try to alter our "Systems of Government" because it is our "right" and our "duty", we'd be labeled a home-grown terrorist & locked up so fast it would make our heads spin.  There is only way to change our government and that is by voting in the right kind of President.

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States;

Heck, the reason we don't won't have Social Security when we get to 65 is because the government gives it all away.  They can't even enforce immigration laws and now they want to give our Social Security money to Illegal Immigrants who haven't contributed a dime!!!!!  What about the starving children in THIS country?  What about the thousands of Americans who have no insurance?  (Thank Bush for vetoing the insurance bill.)  What about the homeless men, women, and families living in their cars or on our streets?   Why is all of the money we pay in taxes being given away to countries to help them rebuild when we have people who need homes right here in this country?  Why does THIS country have the highest CRIME RATE in the WORLD?    Well one reason is because all the criminals come here from other countries as illegal immigrants. The second is the fact that there are gangs in our prisons and the offenders can keep right on doing what got them in jail in the first place.  Our prison system has stopped working the way it should.  Our country is quickly going to the dogs, pardon the pun.  People need to once again raise their children with honor & morals, which if you ask me are now lost memories of a better time.   I have no problem with people immigrating to this country as long as it's done legally.  IMHO, anyone who comes in illegally should be sent back to their own country-PERIOD.  All the Cuban Americans here in Florida gripe & complain about Cuba, so they ask us to help them.  Why can't they go back and free their own country?  Why is it our responsibilty to do it for them?  There are plenty of them to fight the Castro regime.  Ban together as a free people & take it; just like our founding forefathers took this country & freed it from the British rule.  Give them what they need to take back their country & let them go at it.  Screw Guantanimo.

When will our government do something about the problems that are wrong with THIS country?  Our government acts like everything is fine & dandy, but the politicians are blinded by greed for money.  Look how much retired presidents get paid, oh and don't forget about all the staff & bodyguards they get AFTER they're out of office.

If we want to change this we need to vote for people in the Independant Party.  People think it's a wasted vote, but they're wrong.  If everyone would vote for the Independants in the pre-elections, they'd be able to debate the topics with Republicans & Democrats and eventually be able to get into office.  I think it is these politicians who will change our government.  Look at Ross Perro, he didn't want any pay when he ran for president.  He wanted to whip this country into shape, but our citizens didn't listen to a Billionaire who is a financial genius.  If our citizens don't stay informed about what each contingent has planned for our country & his/her presidency, which most don't, and vote accordingly this country would change, eventually.  Real Americans, without political agendas & affiliations, should run for office & we as citizens should back these types of candidates.  We need someone who will whip this country into financial shape, pull us out of the recession we are headed for, & someone who will stop funding foreign countries with our money.  Thankfully we don't have to put up with Bush much longer.  We know Bush has ties with foreign governments who don't have our best interests in mind, we know he's after OIL in Iraq & other countries, we know what he's up to and we're powerless to stop it because the good citizens of this country voted his ass in TWICE!  We also know that he hasn't put much effort into getting the one offender he SAYS he's looking for--OSAMA.  He's too busy groping for oil fields.  We need to stop putting rich people (like Oil Man  George Bush) with agendas into the office of President if we want our country to change--Plain & Simple. 
Report Spam   Logged

Ra's Warrior & the Talismans of Time!  http://www.talismansoftime.com
Bodycount

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2007, 01:45:54 pm »

Good writing, Cleasterwood.  However, we do have third parties now, but they have never caught on - the Green Party and the Libertarians, for instance.  The problem with those third parties is that they never run candidates in years that don't have presidential elections (to gain support) and, more often than not, they are driven by single personalities (i.e. Ross Perot's organization, which collapsed when he stopped participating in it).

Did you know that the Prohibition Party has been around for 100 years and still runs a candidate for President every election, too?  You never hear from them because the idea of Prohibition has proven to be an unpopular one.

Even if everyone supported a third party, it would still have to raise money to campaign, and, so still be beholden the same special interests as the Republicans and Democrats are.

So, A FAR BETTER SOLUTION instead of everyone supporting a third party, I think the better bet is to support public financing of campaigns. That way, better people woild be runnuing, ones that understood the needs of average people and not be bought by big business.
Report Spam   Logged
Bodycount

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2007, 01:47:12 pm »

Just say NO to more wars fought on the behalf of companies like Exxon and Halliburton.
Report Spam   Logged
Volitzer
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2007, 09:41:00 pm »

People have to start considering a Final-Four secondary vote then a Final-Two primary.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: