Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 10:02:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Medinet Habu

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Medinet Habu  (Read 1800 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« on: May 03, 2007, 03:19:53 pm »

Hi Blue Hue
I think my opinion on this will be less than worthless because I simply cannot, no matter how hard I try, get the time lines right for all these events in ancient history.

However - not being a studious person like yourself, it has crossed my mind that the Persians, would not have been referred to as the "Sea People" by people living along the Med. (Unless this was a name that only the Egyptians used for the Persians who lived across the RED Sea)  In the very recent past, I saw a documentary on this and altho the Persians were trying to invade Greece by crossing a small arm of water, it showed the Persians taking over Egypt via a land route.  The Persians did have ships. And they may have approached Egypt in the spring flood at one time or another.  But the "foot" army of Persia was immense and it seems they overtook Egypt by land.  Although of course, they would have had to come across the Red Sea with the troops and horses.

I have never figured out this business of the "missing years" but - and I'm probably sticking my foot in my mouth to say this - even if you take 500 from 1200, you get 700 not 380. 

Back to the "Sea Peoples" - It is only my humble opinion, that anyone already living on a sea, would be called "Sea Peoples", so to me, this means that whoever the Sea Peoples are that are being referred to, are a peoples that A) live on an island and HAD to be good on the sea to survive B) Were a people who lived beyond the known sea C) Were so advanced in sea-faring skills the name was given in respect to this skill.

Personally, trying to think like I was living in those times, I would say the answer is B.  A peoples who lived beyond the known land mass, and had to cross the "sea" (meaning to me - ocean).  I do not mean to say that they livied in the Americas or anything like that.  I mean to say that they may have lived on an island outside the straits of Gibralter.  The may have been deep-sea fishermen who brought fish from the ocean to trade, that were different from the fish in the Med. and the rivers.  The Sea People could have been a peoples who worshipped something that looked like a Sea creature.  They may have been a peoples that dived for pearls and could their breath under water for a long time and it would appear to other people that they could breathe underwater.

The term Sea Peoples is hard to explain in terms of why they were named that.  If I was interested in studying this subject of Sea Peoples, what should I read?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:48:48 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: