Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 11:08:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: THE SEARCH FOR ATLANTIS IN CUBA
A Report by Andrew Collins
http://www.andrewcollins.com/page/articles/atlantiscuba.htm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Georgeous Bashing

Poll
Question: Should we delete the locked thread?
yes - 2 (16.7%)
no - 10 (83.3%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Georgeous Bashing  (Read 1540 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« on: October 29, 2007, 11:30:18 pm »

I think this locked thread is a poor reflection on the members of this forum, if we can't "get over ourselves" on this subject.  The thread is locked anyway, and just taking up space.
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 01:14:37 pm »

Yes, but it has a lot of views, so obviously people still want to read it.  I contributed to that thread myself.  Have you had any experience with Georgeos yourself, Qoais?
Report Spam   Logged
Ian Nottingham
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 01:18:28 pm »

I just had a quick read of it.  The last few pages aren't even about him.  And I didn't actually see anything in the first few pages that wasn't true. 
Report Spam   Logged
Jeannette Latoria
Superhero Member

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 01:29:14 pm »

I took part in that thread and I certainly didn't do any Georgeos bashing in it, I asked Nikas about ancient Greek.  The thread is entitled something like, "What do you think of Georgeos theory?"  Why censor people's opinions?
Report Spam   Logged

Tom Hebert
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 02:11:15 pm »

For those of you who don't know what Qoais is talking about, here is the thread.

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,577.0.html

I am not ashamed of the contributions that I made.  If the thread is to be eliminated, it should probably be requested by the originator.

Report Spam   Logged
Poseidon

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 02:34:47 pm »

With all due respect to Qoais, those who feel that that particular thread went too far simply don't appreciate what Georgeos is all about. The comments made in that thread pale in comparison with how he treats people on an everyday basis.
Report Spam   Logged
Poseidon

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 02:37:41 pm »

I also don't feel that the thread should be deleted regardless of who requests it, with all consideration to Tom. 

After the topic author begins something and the rest of us contribute, I personally believe it becomes the work of us all.
Report Spam   Logged
Trent
Superhero Member

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 03:22:41 pm »

Personally, I don't feel that thread reflects badly on the forum at all.  Also, if we start to engage in censorship around here, when does it end?

In an internet forum, people are bound to say something that other people will take exception with from time to time.  If they didn't do that, we would have nothing to talk about.
Report Spam   Logged

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 03:34:19 pm »

Yes, I have had personal experience with G. and it wasn't any fun that's for sure.  I did try to lighten the situation by making humorous remarks, but it wasn't appreciated. He did write and apologize to me and I to him.  Then I tried to put myself in his shoes, and realized he was a self-taught person, he has been studying for years, and is very proud of his accomplishments.  I realized one has to admire his tenacity in sticking to his beliefs, and explaining his interpretations over and over, much like a teacher does at school for those who have a hard time absorbing the lesson.  It's easy to get annoyed with him, become angry because of his comments, but hard to go beyond that and the see the person underneath.  I'm not saying that what he did was right, or acceptable.  I'm just saying that now that everyone has had their little piece of him, why can't we raise ourselves above the animosity and antagonism?  It's over, it's done, and if the subject is locked anyway, why keep it?  On the other hand, if we think the other discussions in there are of some importance, why is it locked?  When you think about it, Georgeous is like Plato.  He's caused a lot of people to dig in and study Cheesy

If you look at the last 2 pages of posts in that thread, Nikas himself was tired of the subject, as were others.  That's why it got locked in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 03:44:18 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

Apollo
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 10:31:35 pm »

As I understand it, the thread was simply closed because the moderators didn't want the ideas of Georgeos to dominate this forum, as they do at Atlantis Rising. 

I'll tell you a little story of how I met Georgeos.  We all have our encounters with him, this is mine.

Back in June of 2004, Dr. Rainer Kuhne notified us that he had a paper published in a magazine entitled Antiquity.  He posted the link for us all to read.  Most at Atlantis Rising were happy for him.  Georgeos 'secretary' Maria (most likely a pseudonym for Georgeos himself) grew quite irate. She swore that Kuhne's writings were derivative of Georgeos and screamed plagiarism.

Now, anyone who has encountered this man knows that he screams plagiarism at the drop of a hat. However, in this instance they emailed the editors of Antiquity, threatened legal action if they weren't issued credit and forced them to make changes to the article.  It changed what should have been a triumph to a tragedy.

I, in turn, emailed them back, told them the accusations were groundless and, I made my case both passionately and truthfully, and, as far as I know, they changed the article back to it's original version.

These are the kinds of people that we are dealing with - they are snakes.  They are greedy for recognition and there are no depths they will sink to to get it.  Support them, or even speak up on their behalf, at your own peril.  For they always show their true colors eventually, and they are always deceptive.
Report Spam   Logged

"Whom the gods destroy, they first make mad."
Proteus

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 11:37:16 pm »

Agreed.  When I first came to Atlantis Rising, I thought for certain that Cuba was Atlantis.  I have seen most of the work that Georgeos had to offer and saw nothing in it to change my original assumptions. For what the man cannot prove with his research, he attempts to make up for with his belligerence.  It is sad that he tries to make himself so much of a part of Atlantology as I feel he has driven more than a few away from the field.
Report Spam   Logged
Morrison
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 11:39:05 pm »

I agree with most of what was said.  I don't really remember anyone saying anything that bad about Georgeos there either, or, at least, nothing that wasn't true.
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 08:36:28 pm »

I'd like to thank those of you who participated in this poll.

As is the democratic way, the majority rules and the locked thread shall not be deleted.

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Poseidon

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2007, 11:22:32 am »

If it was a topic up for a vote, one would know in advance that Georgeos is not very popular. Other than a few people at Atlantis Rising, there has been little support for either him or his ideals.
Report Spam   Logged
HereForNow
Superhero Member

HUH?

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2007, 08:39:07 pm »

I remember alot of the action in that thread and I think that if anyone is passionate enough to pursue a truth of anykind, it's better to atleast hear them out. If we don't agree, then it's our choice to simply not agree. I can't see deleting something just because of disagreements.

LOL
We put up with republicans invading us and prying into what we have all worked so hard to express....
And yet they are just as entitled to their opinions and beleifs as the rest of us no matter how it makes us feel. I'm glad that this action was taken collectively by the members of this forum to protect another freedom of expression and it shows that we have alot of good people here who still beleive in having this right.

Makes me glad I've had this oppurtunity to make the aquaintences of most of you.
Now on that note; I'm going to get back to General and misc., to see what has transpired in about the last ten minutes since I last had the chance to express myself.   LOL
Have a great night folks, and great job.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: