Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 03:38:44 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Were seafarers living here 16,000 years ago?
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=34805893-6a53-46f5-a864-a96d53991051&k=39922

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Plato's Atlantis My Theory

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 141   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plato's Atlantis My Theory  (Read 102289 times)
docyabut

« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2007, 05:40:35 pm »

No matter which way, there is nothing in history that would suggest a one culture had subjected the parts of Libya within the columns of Heracles as far as Egypt, and of Europe as far as Tyrrhenia. This vast power, gathered into one, endeavoured to subdue at a blow our country and yours and the whole of the region within the straits.

A question, what other kingdoms in the west would have been that powerful before 600bc besides the kingdom of Tartesso that rule all of southern Spain? I don`nt see any another united force of the west or the east that would have been that big. There were many other tribes and colonies according to greek history, but not under one united kingdom that ruled such a  vast area

Maybe there was a  tartessian war in the eariler greek dark ages that was never recorded, besides  geryon `s war

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geryon
Report Spam   Logged
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2007, 05:49:39 pm »

No matter which way, there is nothing in history that would suggest a one culture had subjected the parts of Libya within the columns of Heracles as far as Egypt, and of Europe as far as Tyrrhenia. This vast power, gathered into one, endeavoured to subdue at a blow our country and yours and the whole of the region within the straits.

Well then Docyabut, I would say that Plato made the whole thing up because as much as you'd like to believe Tartessos was Atlantis, the Tartessians didn't have that kind of power either and it's only Plato who has said so.  You admit that the Greeks had lost their history and according to the Egyptian priest, lost it several times.  Why then, are you trying to quote the little bit they DO remember instead of using the testimony of the ancient priest who had more knowledge?  The Greeks knew their history farther back that 600 for heaven's sake.  Solon LIVED from 638 to 558.  If this Atlantean war had taken place in 600 BC Solon would have been in the middle of it.  Therefore, I beleive the priest WAS referring to 9000 years before, not a mere 1000.  Solon had already quoted Greek history farther back that a 1000 years, yet the priest said this was babyhood compared to what had happened much farther back.

There were many other tribes and colonies according to greek history, but not under one united kingdom that ruled such a  vast area

Why would you want to refer to Greek history when admittedly, they had LOST their history?  THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT.  The priest is telling Solon that this story was way older than the history the Greeks could remember.  That they knew nothing of ANCIENT history.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 06:43:09 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Majeston

« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2007, 07:38:55 pm »

y do u even waste your time speaking to her
Report Spam   Logged

"melody has power a whole world to transform."
Forever, music will remain the universal language of men, angels, and spirits.
Harmony is the speech of Havona.

http://mercy.urantia.org/papers/paper44.html
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2007, 08:15:27 pm »

Cheesy  Sometimes, I just like beating my head against a brick wall because it feels so good when I quit. Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

rockessence
Superhero Member

Using rocks and minerals to heal the earth and us.

« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2007, 08:45:13 pm »

Qoais,  You are not alone in saying "I would say that Plato made the whole thing up .."  Professor Olof Rudbeck said the same thing in the 1670s in his Swedish tome ATLANTICA.  He was an expert in ancient languages and after long study came to the conclusion that Plato had made up the whole story as a metaphor to support a complicated theme he had been working on, but died before he presented the whole thesis....

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,937.0.html
Report Spam   Logged

ILLIGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2007, 09:21:58 pm »

Hi Rocky
I actually thought that a long time ago, but it's still fun to play with theories to see if they CAN work after all.  Basically, the two following quotes pretty much state that they're all acting.  Performing.

The city and citizens, which you yesterday described to us in fiction, we will now transfer to the world of reality. It shall be the ancient city of Athens, and we will suppose that the citizens whom you imagined, were our veritable ancestors, of whom the priest spoke; they will perfectly harmonise, and there will be no inconsistency in saying that the citizens of your republic are these ancient Athenians.

And now, friend Critias, I will announce to you the judgment of the theatre. They are of opinion that the last performer was wonderfully successful, and that you will need a great deal of indulgence before you will be able to take his place.

T'is "astonishing" how Plato's story perfectly fits with Socrates ideas.  Talk about sucking up to your teacher! Grin

I have told you briefly, Socrates, what the aged Critias heard from Solon and related to us. And when you were speaking yesterday about your city and citizens, the tale which I have just been repeating to you came into my mind, and I remarked with astonishment how, by some mysterious coincidence, you agreed in almost every particular with the narrative of Solon; but I did not like to speak at the moment. For a long time had elapsed, and I had forgotten too much; I thought that I must first of all run over the narrative in my own mind, and then I would speak.

Mysterious indeed how Socrates' story could match Solon's almost point for point, when supposedly Socrates had not read Solon's story.  It was kept in the family. 
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

rockessence
Superhero Member

« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2007, 09:35:05 pm »

Qoais,

You really should get ahold of FINDING ATLANTIS, about Olof Rudbeck.  An amazing book.
Report Spam   Logged

Thus ye may find in thy mental and spiritual self, ye can make thyself just as happy or just as miserable as ye like. How miserable do ye want to be?......For you GROW to heaven, you don't GO to heaven. It is within thine own conscience that ye grow there.

Edgar Cayce
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2007, 09:36:44 pm »

Altho some of us find Docyabut annoying because she keeps repeating the same thing over and over, and is fixated on GM and Tartessos, she has- finally - made a most significant contribution of logic in her most recent statement:

And I quote:

No matter which way, there is nothing in history that would suggest a one culture had subjected the parts of Libya within the columns of Heracles as far as Egypt, and of Europe as far as Tyrrhenia.

That is of course if we accept that Gibralter is the location of the Pillars of Heracles.  So .................if all you learned people agree with that statement, that there IS NOTHING IN HISTORY to substantiate Plato's story, why are we looking for Atlantis?  Because afterall, it is ONLY Plato's story that says "a one culture" namely the Atlanteans, had this control.

We have seen that type of control SINCE then, with the Persians, Alex. the G. the Romans etc.  But like the quote above "NOTHING IN HISTORY" before that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 09:42:32 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2007, 09:39:10 pm »

Thanks Rocky, I have the book.  I can't believe how anyone could have thought that man was mad.  We need more like him today.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2007, 09:57:30 pm »

QUOTE:

"So .................if all you learned people agree with that statement, that there IS NOTHING IN HISTORY to substantiate Plato's story, why are we looking for Atlantis?  Because afterall, it is ONLY Plato's story that says "a one culture" namely the Atlanteans, had this control."

Well, Q, not all of us are obsessed with the translation of Plato, like Georgeous and Nikkas.

We are most interested in what is being discovered by actual people who are OUT of their
armchairs and DIVING and DIGGING in various parts of the Ocean and Las Marismas (for one).

Nothing is going to be stamped 'Made in Atlantis", no canals or circles will be found.  But there
is plenty of evidence that there was habitation in the the Atlantic Ocean, in the Caribbean, in
the North Sea and several other underwater places. 

Whether it was called ATLANTIS  or not, it does not matter, as I don't feel that, whomever these
people were, they called themselves ATLANTEANS.

As a matter of fact, "Atlantis" has been found, I feel.  The powers that be won't let us in on it.
So, we'll just have to wait for overwhelming evidence to shut up the critics.......

And then, we'll be grateful to Plato for setting us on a quest for our long forgotten PAST, no
matter how NESOS translates.
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2007, 10:08:44 pm »

Hear Hear Bianca - I've said almost the same thing in other posts.  No matter what the translations turn out to be, there is no other supporting documentation yet found for Plato's Atlantis.

I do feel he deserves credit for being the catalyst that prompted people to go out and search the world, and for one, am very thankful for the discoveries to date.  History is becoming alive - being re-lived thru these investigations, and our data banks are being filled with wonderful information that would, at one time, be kept hidden or scoffed at.  No doubt, there is a lot that has been discovered and is still being kept hidden, but everything in it's time.  Like it says in the Desiderata - "no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should".
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2007, 10:22:38 pm »

Just for the hell of it, for those of the younger generations who do not know the Desiderata, it is a wonderous piece of work, that applies to all times and all ages:

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste,
and remember what peace there may be in
silence.  As far as possible, without
surrender, be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and
listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant;
they too, have their story.

Avoid loud and aggressive persons;
they are vexations to the spirit.  If you
compare yourself with others, you may
become vain or bitter, for always there will be
greater and lesser persons than yourself.

enjoy your achievements as well as your
plans.  Keep interested in your own career,
however humble; it is a real possession in
the changing fortunes of time.  Exercise caution
in your business affairs, for the world is full
of trickery.  But let this not blind you to what
virtue there is; many persons strive for high
ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.  Especially do not feign
affection.  Neither be cynical about love; for
in the face of all aridity and disenchantment,
it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years,
gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in
sudden misfortune.  But do not distress yourself
with dark imaginings.  Many fears
are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle
with yourself.  You are a child of the universe
no less than the trees and the stars; you have
a right to be here.  And whether or not it is
clear to you, no doubt the universe is
unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever
you conceive Him to be.  And whatever your
labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life,
keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world. 
Be careful.  Strive to be happy.

Anonymous
Found in an old Saint Paul's Church, Baltimore

Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2007, 10:31:04 pm »

HEAR, HEAR.....
Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
rockessence
Superhero Member

« Reply #283 on: October 18, 2007, 12:22:29 am »

Thanks Rocky, I have the book.  I can't believe how anyone could have thought that man was mad.  We need more like him today.

Yeah!  It really is unfortunate that the author was bent toward that idea.... If he knew about the Bock family saga and about Felice Vinci's research of the past decade, culminating in his book HOMER IN THE BALTIC, he would never have had that attitude.  Both support much of Rudbeck's work.
Report Spam   Logged

Edgar Cayce
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #284 on: October 18, 2007, 12:26:29 am »

One hell of a lot more logic than Plato's Atlantis, that's for sure.
Report Spam   Logged

Logic rules.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 141   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: