Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 11:38:37 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Scientists to drill beneath oceans
http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,8063.0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Plato's Atlantis My Theory

Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plato's Atlantis My Theory  (Read 106441 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #2085 on: July 03, 2010, 09:44:37 pm »

Paulo - when did Heracles live?  He was a demi-god - in other words, part human, part god, and supposedly existed when the gods still lived on the earth.  So just when exactly, was that? 

In any case, there is evidence of them around the coastlines of Iberia ca1900.bC.

So they must have had knowledge of the straites and western Europe.

Already in 6000.bC, they were sailing as far away as Pantalleria island in search of obsidian.

Can you link us to information telling us about these statements?   I'm especially interested in the last one, about the Greeks sailing as far away as Pantalleria island in search of obsidian.

Thank you again Rocky, I am starting to remember!  I have the book Finding Atlantis by David King.  I loved it. 

The "airship" was MY terminology for the ships Homer describes as the Phaeacians' ships:

Scheria - The Phaeacian ships

Odysseus was understandably worried about the dangers of the trip from Scheria to Ithaka. To reassure him, King Alcinous described the remarkable qualities, of the Phaeacian ships.

Tell me also your country, nation, and city, that our ships may shape their purpose accordingly and take you there. For the Phaeacians have no pilots; their vessels have no rudders as those of other nations have, but the ships themselves understand what it is that we are thinking about and want; they know all the cities and countries in the whole world, and can traverse the sea just as well even when it is covered with mist and cloud, so that there is no danger of being wrecked or coming to any harm. (Homer, The Odyssey, Book Cool

I was kidding about it being an air ship Rocky, but was comparing it to a fighter jet that Clint Eastwood flew in a movie, where he had to "think" a particular word, to get the rockets to fire, except the thing was Russian built so he had to "think" the word in Russian otherwise it wouldn't fire.!!

Obviously though, since it took Odysseus 20 days to get home even with this magical "ship" it obviously wasn't "flying" him home. Cheesy

I was trying to make the point that if we believe the ancient writers, word for word, then we have to believe these Phaeacians had super advanced technology beyond what we have today.  Yet everyone just skips over this bit as fantasy.  I can't imagine why? Grin

Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: