Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 05:15:55 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Site provides evidence for ancient comet explosion
http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/nationworld/story/173177.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Plato's Atlantis My Theory

Pages: 1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plato's Atlantis My Theory  (Read 102478 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #2040 on: May 06, 2010, 12:36:39 pm »

I've come a long way baby!!

When looking back over the last 3 years, I laugh at myself for being so nieve about so many things.  It was a fun trip for me, the learning in so many different subjects, but I must have been a pain in the butt for a few others!  I think it's a good thing that my learning was done with the computer and not in a real classroom, otherwise I would have totally embarrassed myself any number of times.  Some people were really hard on me for what I proposed at times, and that's a good thing because it makes a person toe the line and do proper research.  It's one thing to read a book published by someone else, but it's always best to check the facts for yourself even if you enjoy the book. 

Critics and debunkers are necessary evils, although in reality, they aren't "evil" (unless they are deliberately mean and cruel).  They are what basically keeps the crap from the crapolla and that is definitely a good thing.  Call it quality control.  Critics and skeptics keep the searcher/student sharp and on the ball.  Otherwise, we'd believe a lot of crap that isn't true. 

It's kind of like being made to take exams to see how much you've learned. Exams are not a bad thing.  For me, I'd certainly like to know that the guy who is going to give me surgery, actually passed the exams to show he knows what he's doing and wasn't just sitting in class, picking his nose Cheesy

There was recently an item in the news, telling about a student who had finished high school and then sued the School Board because he didn't know how to read.  In this new system of not having to write exams, but only having to be present in class, there is no quality control.  I'm sure that over 12 years of schooling, he had different teachers, so he can not blame any one person for his failure to learn, other than himself.  But he's sueing the School Board for his lack of learning.  If it is the School Board's fault that he didn't learn, then why aren't ALL the students he went to school with sueing the School Board as well?  If it's the School Board's fault that he can't read, then none of his classmates must be able to read either.  Therefore, there should be a class action law suit (no pun intended Grin)

For me, I'm thankful that there are people who still care about whether or not we are learning the truth and take the time to correct me when I'm wrong.  That's what critics and skeptics do.  For the most part, not always, but usually the critic or skeptic is someone who has already learned a subject and is well versed in it so when someone does make a mistake, they can teach where the error is.  There are, I'm sure, a few who just get a kick out of antagonizing people whose views are not the same as theirs, but serious critics are usually serious about the subject.

When I first started researching about Atlantis, I didn't have a clue how far in the past people built ships, or when they started gathering together to become societies, or why they believed the Gods were real people, and a ton of other things.  I knew about electricity, I knew about the internal combustion engine, I knew about aerodynamics, how to make Baked Alaska, Grin and things like that, because that was my education.  There was a lot my education didn't cover.  No doubt, it is the same for most people.  I actually think that today's education system is no where near as thorough as mine was, and I know mine was not as thorough as the generation before me.  So unless we actually make an effort to learn the facts for ourselves, we will continue believing whatever is put up on the internet.  It's no wonder that actual scholars get upset with the people who write about a subject, without thoroughly knowing that subject and then ridiculing the people who HAVE studied the subject in depth. 

So taking a look back at everything I learned in the many and varied subjects, I have composed my conclusion regarding the story of Atlantis.  It has always been MY THEORY and no one has to agree with it.  All I ask is that if you do disagree, then show me where I'm wrong with factual evidence,  without making any comments of a personal nature.

Follow your dreams and aspirations, but always do it with thorough research Smiley

Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 133 134 135 136 [137] 138 139 140 141   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: