Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 01:14:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: ARE Search For Atlantis 2007 Results
http://mysterious-america.net/bermudatriangle0.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Plato's Atlantis My Theory

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 141   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plato's Atlantis My Theory  (Read 102349 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2007, 07:50:36 pm »

Hi Julia
I also have thought that the Gardens of the Hesperides were in the west, what would now be Morocco, or an island off that coast.  This Garden was supposedly near where the Atlanteans lived as well.  I believe Atlantis was a large country, but where the main city was built, was on a man-made island.  That island would only have been as big as the description Plato gave of it, and if it sunk, that doesn't mean the whole land of Atlantis sunk also.  Plato says the sinking caused a shoal of mud, and I've re-read that passage, and it seems that he's only talking about this shoal of mud blocking the ocean for the locals in the Atlantis area, not everyone that was trying to access the Atlantic from the Med.  If the Hesperides were in Tartessos, then for sure, Spain would have been part of Atlantis. 

If Spain WAS a part of Atlantis, it seems strange that they themselves don't have anything in their verbal or written history talking about it.  You'd think the Spanish would have travelled to Egypt themselves, and talked to the priests to find out what was going on in the world, as the priests seem to be the local telegraph office!!! Maybe Atlantis WAS Tartessos just like Docyabut has been saying, and Plato just called it Atlantis because it was on the coast of the ocean.  By using the word Atlantis, he could have just been indicating the whole area and the decendants of Atlas.  Like an "expression" so his listeners would understand that these were a coastal people or something.

NOTE:  Today is now Jan. 24, 2010.  I am adding this piece of information to this post as I find it most ironic!!

Lost city of Atlantis 'could be buried in southern Spain'
Archaeologists have begun the search for an ancient civilization in southern Spain that some believe could help pinpoint the legendary lost city of Atlantis.

By Fiona Govan in Madrid
Published: 6:00AM GMT 19 Jan 2010
A team of researchers from Spain's Higher Council for Scientific Study (CSIC) are examining a marshy area of Andalusian parkland to find evidence of a 3,000-year-old settlement.
They believe that Tartessos, a wealthy civilization in southern Iberia that predates the Phoenicians, may have had its capital in the heart of what is now the Donana national park.

Link to complete article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/spain/7019522/Lost-city-of-Atlantis-could-be-buried-in-southern-Spain.html
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 11:14:08 am by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 141   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: