Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 07:16:18 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Satellite images 'show Atlantis'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3766863.stm

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Plato's Atlantis My Theory

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... 141   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Plato's Atlantis My Theory  (Read 102331 times)
Qoais
Superhero Member

« Reply #1560 on: October 13, 2009, 05:58:30 pm »

Now I don't know who makes the mistake but we know that according to Plato, Atlas was given the land wherein is the Atlas mountain.  (because he names it)  The parents are from Italy along the river Po.  The Atlas mountain is on the other side of the Med., and according to Plato, "ships were not as yet".  So - (again the blasted time line is wrong) - how did Atlas get to his land on the other side?  Do we assume he harnessed his fathers sea horses and went that-a-way? Do we assume he named a mountain Atlas somewhere along the river Po?  He did after all, receive as his inheritance, his mother's home place.  His brother Eumelous, receiving the land that "faced" (whatever) the Pillars of Heracles.  (We have a number of different time lines here because of course Heracles comes into the story later, but as I've said, the Greeks use the expression "Pillars of Heracles" to denote a place of no further passage. 

So we're still in a bit of quandary as to who got what piece of land, but as far as I'm concerned, we are still inside the Mediterranean Sea.
Therefore, Eumelous recieved the land that was closest to the narrow passage that was thought to be "lands end" which would have been at Sicily/Malta.  Atlas supposedly, was still back in Italy at mom's place. 

If anyone wants to jump in here and have a go at straightening this out, please feel free.  I've said it so many times, that Plato has messed up the time lines by saying what he did, and trying to figure out if this is truth or fiction from what he said, I'm leaning again towards fiction.  It may be that he heard a story, or it may be he made it up himself as we've said before, to satisfy all parties concerned.

And don't forget, we have Atlantians on the south side of the Med. as neighbors to the Amazons.  Possible descendants, or whoever said the parents lived along the river Po in Italy, made the mistake. 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2009, 06:02:27 pm by Qoais » Report Spam   Logged

An open-minded view of the past allows for an unprejudiced glimpse into the future.

Logic rules.

"Intellectual brilliance is no guarantee against being dead wrong."
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 101 102 103 104 [105] 106 107 108 109 110 111 ... 141   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: