Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 06:04:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Giant crater may lie under Antarctic ice
http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn9268

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Picts & the Lost English Mythology

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Picts & the Lost English Mythology  (Read 1651 times)
Zeptepi

« on: March 15, 2007, 08:32:24 am »

No problem with disagreeing – your views are valued.

I’m pleased that you learned something from the post.  My approach is from a social history point of view, one that generally gets missed from the more academic arguments.

The fact you still believe there such a period called the Dark Ages really underlies the fact that past historians were highly effective in delivering their biased views.   Perhaps you should be aware that during the height of the Roman Empire other European histories were being ruthlessly suppressed, much the same as the fascist period of the 20th century.  Who says that the Northern European people were any less sophisticated than the Romans?  Well the Romans did as they believed all else not ‘Romanised’ to be barbarians.  In reality they were not, simply they occupied people living under a very brutal totalitarian regime.  One is mindful of the why the Coliseum in Rome was built.  What was its purpose and what happened within its elaborate structure?  Then one might add, who were the real barbarians!

I feel I must make the point again.  The Picts, Celts and Anglo Saxons were all one of the same people.  The Vikings or the Norse traders, as I like to call them, had been coming to the British Isles long before the 700 to 900 period.  That period is only highlighted by single reference given by the Venerable Bede, a literate Christian monk living in the North of England at the time.  **** & Pillage?  No, not quite.  Most of the Norse traders had permanent settlements in Scotland and England and were not too ready to give up their own historic beliefs for something that came out of Rome.  Here you might wonder:  Is Odin any less of a God than the one presented in the Old Testament? The old inhabitants of Britain didn’t think so.  They were quite a spiritual people already with a moral fortitude that was Christian in everything but name.

I contend that if it wasn’t for the Romans, despite all their technological sciences, Europe would have achieved their Renaissance far earlier than the did.

King Arthur.  The movie.  Yes, very enjoyable but not very historically accurate.  Much like Brave heart some years earlier.

Best wishes,
John. 

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: