Atlantis Online
March 28, 2024, 04:34:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Has the Location of the Center City of Atlantis Been Identified?
http://www.mysterious-america.net/hasatlantisbeenf.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Picts & the Lost English Mythology

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Picts & the Lost English Mythology  (Read 1650 times)
Zeptepi

« on: March 14, 2007, 06:39:35 am »

Probably one of the most comprehensive studies of the Picts I’ve read for some time!

Hi All,
I’m new here, so this is my first post in this excellent forum, therefore as a Scot with a 800 year old Scottish family history, this thread seems to be the most appropriate place to start.

Who were the Picts?
Over and beyond the introduction on this subject I must state immediately that the Picts were racially no different to the Celts, who in turn are racially no different to the Angles and Saxons.  They were simply different tribes of the same race, who I may add, interacted with each other throughout history.  Of course history lends to us believe that the Picts rose in isolation, determined, savage and isolationist.  This is a very unhelpful historical romanticism, emanating mostly from the Victorian era; where the ‘savage hero’ was seen against the cultivating, civilising elements of Southern Britain.  We should really dismiss this romantic veneer.  The practical history of the Picts is quite something else.

The Picti?
As long ago as 8000BP there have been large organised settlements in the West and North of Scotland reaching up to Orkney  and Shetland Islands and, not surprisingly, across the sea to the west coast of Norway.  Wherever, one sees a sizable inland sea inlet, a Scottish Firth or a Norwegian Fjord you will find their settlements.  This is exactly the same pattern to be found across the rest of Northern Europe.  Again, it should be of no surprise to anyone, that all these settlements traded with one another, establishing an uninterrupted  network of commerce.  That sea borne network  was highly lucrative, family oriented and progressive. 
This is essentially what attracted the Romans to invade Northern Europe and Britain when they did.  I think most historians would agree with this.  What I can never agree with is the Northern Britons being casted by the conquering Romans as a savage, primitive hoard.  Picti!  Indeed, this nothing more unreliable  nonsense. The Northern tribes were simply defending a very long established way of existence.  Technically and socially, these tribes possessed far more adept sea going vessels with a social care system, with elements, that a modern day National Health organisation could probably identify with.  All the Romans could offer was theft of their possessions, disintegration of a civilised way of life and eventual subjugation and in many cases genocide.

I would also like to offer you this for consideration:
When the Romans eventually left Britain around 400AD we are informed that Northern Europe fell into the Dark Ages.  I don’t know how many people today who still believe this to be true.  There was no Dark Age.  What occurred was a renewal of the highly lucrative historic sea trading routes, which explains the later influx of Scandinavian (Viking), Anglo/Saxon tribes into England and Scotland.  They just came back!. Life simply went on as before, this time without the domineering, militaristic control of the Romans.  Unfortunately, our erstwhile academics choose to implant Roman history over the top of a long running and successful society that existed previously.  Our western civilisation, it seems, is still dominated by Roman and the earlier Greek classical themes.  In reality neither had much to do with the rise of Northern European civilisation.  Instead, one could argue, it was interrupted by the presence of the Romans.

Atlantean Tribes?
All I may say here is that those people who arrived in Britain some 8000 years ago, were indeed the from the generations of survivors of a world-wide cataclysm that occurred some 3500 years earlier.  By that time the lands of Britain, Northern Europe and Scandinavia was becoming attractively habitable. Where they came from originally is still, to my mind, up for question.  However, it does appear that these people were highly organised, spiritually blessed with a strong desire to civilise.

Best wishes,
John.

Sorry for not providing any references. I know that’s bad practice.  But why should I?  It is my family history after all. Wink

Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: