Atlantis Online
April 19, 2024, 07:55:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Remains of ancient civilisation discovered on the bottom of a lake
http://en.rian.ru/analysis/20071227/94372640.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

the Sinking of Atlantis

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: the Sinking of Atlantis  (Read 2158 times)
Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« on: October 17, 2007, 04:36:01 pm »

Hi everyone, I was talking with a friend, and it seems the answer to the main question concerning Atlantis has esaped us here, namely, how did Atlantis, "sink?"

Here is my opinion on the most likely instances from what I have seen so far:

1. Tectonic Depression.  There is a hole in the ocean near the Mid-Atlantic that would seem to suggest that something drastic happened there.  In fact, there was an expedition that checked it out earlier this year, from March to April (still waiting for their official report).

2.  An object from space hit the thin Mid-Atlantic Ridge.  The results of this are documented brilliantly in Otto Muck's "Secret of Atlantis book."  The problem is, if something did strike it, it might wipe out life on earth as we know it - in fact, there would be no one left to tell.

3.  Volcanic Eruption. As we see in Santornin and Krakatoa, those can cause some major loss of land.  There are volcanoes throughout the Atlantic Ocean, even underwater, and most haven't even been named, let alone checked out.

4. Canary Island landslide. There is evidence for these happening throughout the centuries all on the ocean floor around the Canaries. If one did happen, the tsunamis would reach the east coast of America, drowning everything in it's path.  The problem?  The last one is said to have happened 200,000 years ago, not recently.  Still, the Guanches do have legends like Atlantis and there are supposed to be ruins off the coast of the Canaries (that Greg Little eventually plans to check out).

5. Gradual or not so Gradual immersion.  When I think of this, I think of the Azores and Christian O'Brien's sunken landmass around the Azores, roughly about the size of Spain.  He mapped river systems, valleys and mountains, all underwater.  No underwater ruins have been found in the Azores, however, a statue and stone buildings were found on the isle of Corzo back when the Azores were first discovered, back in the 1400s.

6.  Unknown Natural Disaster.  I'm actually not at all sure what happened in 1200 bc to cause the Greek Dark Age. I have a hard time believing it was just war or just a natural disaster, which makes me believe that it was a combination of both, just as in Plato's tale, which makes the Sea People events another strong possibility for Atlantis. It is interesting that the natural disaster still hasn’t been pinpointed!  That was fairly recently in geological terms, and it sure wasn't Santorini - That was four hundred years earlier. 

Anyone has any other ideas, feel free to post them! 

Gwen
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:59:20 pm »

ANY OF THE ABOVE INITIALLY AND GRADUALLY - FINAL SINKING:

N U C L E A R   W A R   A N D / O R   A C C I D E N T

Which would also explain the "Libyan Glass" and sundry tektites around the world.

LIBYAN GLASS THREAD:

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1929.0.html

ANCIENT ATOMIC KNOWLEDGE?

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1760.0.html

ANCIENT FLYING MACHINES (VIMANAS)

http://atlantisonline.smfforfree2.com/index.php/topic,1659.0.html
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 05:29:43 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Your mind understands what you have been taught; your heart what is true.
Adam Hawthorne
Superhero Member

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 04:59:01 pm »

I have always thought this story could have been the catastophe of Atlantis:

Towering Ancient Tsunami Devastated the Mediterranean
By Ker Than, LiveScience Staff Writer

posted: 30 November 2006 07:57 am ET

A volcano avalanche in Sicily 8,000 years ago triggered a devastating tsunami taller than a 10-story building that spread across the entire Mediterranean Sea, slamming into the shores of three continents in only a few hours.

A new computer simulation of the ancient event reveals for the first time the enormity of the catastrophe and its far-reaching effects [video].
The Mt. Etna avalanche sent 6 cubic miles of rock and sediment tumbling into the water—enough material to cover the entire island of Manhattan in a layer of debris thicker than the Empire State Building is tall.
The mountain of rubble crashed into the water at more than 200 mph. It pummeled the sea bed, transformed thick layers of soft marine sediment into jelly and triggered an underwater mudslide that flowed for hundreds of miles.
Recreating an ancient disaster
To create their computer simulation, researchers at the National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology in Italy used sonar-equipped boats to survey seafloor sediment displaced by the Mt. Etna avalanche.
Their recreation suggests the tsunami's waves reached heights of up to 130 feet and maximum speeds of up to 450 mph, making it more powerful than the Indonesian tsunami that killed more than 180,000 people in 2004.
The researchers have also linked the ancient tsunami with the mysterious abandonment of Atlit-Yam, a Neolithic village located along the coast of present-day Israel. When archeologists discovered the village about 20 years ago, they found evidence of a sudden evacuation, including a pile of fish that had been gutted and sorted but then left to rot.
"A tsunami was not suspected before," lead researcher Maria Pareschi told LiveScience.
Could happen today
According to Pareschi, if the same tsunami struck today, Southern Italy would be inundated within the first 15 minutes [image]. In one hour, the waves would reach Greece's western coasts. After an hour and a half, the city of Benghazi in Northern Africa would be hit. At the three and a half hour mark, the waves would have traversed the entire Mediterranean to reach the coasts of Israel, Lebanon and Syria.
Avalanches and minor eruptions still occur on Mt. Etna today, but so far, nothing approaching the magnitude of the ancient event.
"Should the Neolithic Etna tsunami have occurred today, the impact is tremendous because the Eastern Mediterranean coasts are very inhabited ones," Pereschi said.

http://www.livescience.com/environment/061130_ancient_tsunami.html
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 03:58:00 pm »

Hi Gwen ,  Bianca ,Adam .

That tsunami would appear to lend support to Nikas' theory ,any theory that says Atlantis was around Malta or Sicily and that the 'Atlantic' in Plato's story was merely the Western Mediterranean.  I don't subscribe to this view but it looks worthy of investigation ..

But on Gwen's list I would be leaning toward some sort of combination between options 1.) and 5.) Sudden initial submergence aswell as periods of gradual sinking.
Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 08:14:39 pm »

On the other hand, there are some Atlantists who believe that the destruction of Atlantis was brought about

not by geological events but by a man-made disaster, such as a nuclear explosion. According to the Cayce

readings, the Atlanteans achieved an astonishingly high level of technology before the continent sank,around

10,000 B.C. They invented the laser, aircraft, television, death rays, atomic energy, and cybernetic control

of human beings, and it was the misuse of the tremendously powerful natural forces they had developed that

caused their destruction.

Cayce is best-known for his apparent ability to diagnose illness even in people whom he had never met. This ability was tested by a group of physicians from Hopkinsville and Bowling Green, Kentucky. They discovered that when Cayce was in a state of trance, it was sufficient to give him the name and address of a patient for him to supply a wealth of information about that person, often drawing attention to medical conditions of which the physicians were then unaware, but that subsequent tests on the patient proved to be correct. This work alone would appear to justify the description of Cayce as America's most talented psychic. And if one aspect of his clairvoyant powers could prove so successful, it seems reasonable to give a fair hearing to other psychic statements he made, however, fantastic.

Cayce's sons, who help run the organization set up to study his work, admit that their life would be far simpler if Edgar Cayce had never mentioned Atlantis. Hugh Lynn Cayce comments; "It would be very easy to present a very tight evidential picture of Edgar Cayce's psychic ability and the helpfulness of his readings if we selected only those which are confirmed and completely validated. This would not be fair in total, overall evaluation of his life's work. My brother and I know that Edgar Cayce did not read Plato's material on Atlantis, or books on Atlantis, and that he, so far as we know, had absolutely no knowledge of this subject. If his unconscious fabricated this material or wove it together from existing legends and stories in print or the minds of persons dealing with the Atlantis theory." Edgar Evans Cayce makes the comment that "unless proof of the existence of Atlantis is one day discovered, Edgar Cayce is in a very unenviable position. On the other hand, if he proves accurate on this score he may become as famous an archaeologist or historian as he was a medical clairvoyant."

http://www.greatdreams.com/bermuda.htm
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 08:23:28 pm by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Mark of Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 02:37:50 pm »

Hi Bianca ,

I usually scoff at the New Age stuff that says Atlantis was destroyed by the Atlanteans who lost control of their laser technology or whatever. 

But the basic view that the destruction of Atlantis could have been man-made and not 'natural' just struck a chord with me ,in that, Plato himself says that the Atlanteans 'caused' the destruction of Atlantis because of there evil actions which caused Zeus to vent his anger on them.But of course the part in Critias where Plato is about to tell how Zeus makes his judgement is where the narrative cuts off....

So in a way ,you could say the destruction of Atlantis was man-made ,with the Atlanteans bringing about their own downfall due to greed and warmongering..etc....that's putting some spin on it I know ,, but you get the gist of it ...    I flat out cannot accept the nuclear bombs caper.

To be fair ,I don't rule out completely the possibility of nuclear weapons in the past ,based on the Hindu writings and the basic idea in Forbidden Archaeology that humanity may have been around for eons ,perhaps there was a technological age like ours in some previous epoch ,  but no way were there nukes besides our own in this present age which includes Plato's Atlantis.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 02:53:19 pm by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 02:50:19 pm »

You know, Mark, much as I am fond of Cayce, my opinion is based squarely with the

Hindu writings and an overabundance of "Lybian-type" glass around the world.

Also, I have always been convinced that several civilizations came and went of which
we may never know.

It would be arrogant of us to believe that WE are the only 'civilization' so advanced.
It's like saying "we are the only inhabitants of the Universe........"
Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

il mio va Piano, sono Asino ?

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 02:51:46 pm »

NONE of the Above, a TSUNAMI or CATACLYSM triggerred an Earth-Quake afterwards, the Fat of the Mountains thus Loss-Mud filled the island valley and thus the shores too. Please read  my subscript!  " BlueHue"  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

( Blue's)THEORY, locating"original" Atlantis( in Aden-Yemen.)
1: ATLANTIS =Fake=Latin name, original Greek: ATHE(=a Region in Aden)
2: Atlantic-OCEAN=Greek: RIVER-of-Atlas+also" Known "World-OCEAN(=Red-Sea)
3: Greek-obsolete-Numeral 'X' caused Plato's Atlantisdate:9000=900
Bianca
Superhero Member

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 07:49:57 am »

Maybe in 855 BC, Blue Hue.

Here we are discussing:   circa 10,500 BC
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:51:43 am by Bianca2001 » Report Spam   Logged

Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 12:17:36 pm »

Realistically, do we have evidence of ancient atomic tecnhology back in 10,500 bc?  Historians don't even see it as a possibility, though they have been wrong before. All I have seen is the irradiated Indian city (Mohenjo-Daro) and the vitified glass in Libya and Egypt.  Maybe that is evidence, but I think we need more concrete evidence to decide that they eve had that kind of technology back then.

I go with gradual immersion, or, in the unstable Atlantic, some tye of tectonic depression.

The tsunami does not explain it for me!  The Maldvies Islands were covered up in the 2004 tsunami, vanished from the earth briefly, but are back again now, as if it hadn't happened at all. That would be much the same if it had happened in 10,500 bc, or later. How would thre ancients even known it had happened that long ago of there hadn't been more evidence?
Report Spam   Logged
Mark of Australia

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 02:26:24 pm »

Hi All ,

I agree with Gwen that a tsunami itself does not explain the sinking of Atlantis ...That just never made sense in my mind. Any tsunami would be a symptom of the sinking itself I reckon.

Over at AR ,Georgeos has said he is close to releasing some kind of report about ancient tsunami evidence in southern Spain.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 02:27:55 pm by Mark Ponta » Report Spam   Logged
BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2007, 05:51:39 am »

That's all very well but with dates of post 10.000 bc something is wrong.  You have not been following the 50 years old discussion of the non existance of the 500 years of dark ages in the Greek History.

in 855 bc the moon collided with Earth in the Pacific, this moon collision is no Fib, in the cristian Creed it was named the Devil, in Greek Myth it was the birth of goddess Aphrodite, in Jewish Myth it was the falling of the Splendour of israel, otherwise it was also known as the GIGANTOMACHIA.

This forgotten EVENT  of 855 bc, produced the last Global Tsunami that is discovered here but wrongly dated at 8.000 bc instead of 855 bc.

and thus any Date of the last explosion causing Tsunamies in the Mediaterranean region should be dated at 855 bc.

Sincerely " BlueHue ". dd 3 Dec.2007
Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 06:00:01 am »

Dear. . . . GWEN,

You know my standpoint
that the last global tsunami hit atlantis in 855 bc and that this Event trigerred Tectonicf faultline Tsunamies simulaneously all over the globe.  Wich indeed is always misdated at 1650 or 1200 bc.

The story of the Moon hitting the Earth at the Pacific region is encountered in all folkMyths.  In Isreal it was called the Falling of the Splendour of Israel(= THE ANGEL AZRAEL.)in christian lore it was the Devil, in Greek Myth it was Typhoneus/ PHAETHON, the " Son of Helios "( Helios is mistook for the Sun , but it was ther Moon that got the name of the Silver Sun ( Night Sun) towards Hyperion the gold Sun.

Sincerly, " BlueHue" dd 3 Dec.2007
Report Spam   Logged

BlueHue
Superhero Member

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 06:12:23 am »

Maybe in 855 BC, Blue Hue.

Here we are discussing:   circa 10,500 Bc

Dear,. . . . BIANCA,

We think wrongly that the Ice ages ended in 10.000 bc
and that the melting of the ice caps caused the global tsunami that submerged/(= inundated but not sunk) Atlantis.

However in 1075 bc the MOON,  hit Earth and caused a global Crack that caused the Continents to wander about, BUT,  At that point no Water flowed in the newly caused Sea-canyons so no Tsunami could have happened then.
However the EVENT of 1075 bc did cause the melting of the Ice-caps/ and created Glacdier-lakes on high Table Mountains.

THAN in 855 the MOON,  hit Earth for the second time in 200 years and caused the( Last-)Global Tsunami that is known as the OGYGOS-Flood. This is no FIB, the israelies called this the Falling of the " Splendour of israel(= Moon= the Angle Azrael.)

In Greek lore this Event marks the birth of Goddess Aphrodite in: 855 bc. Born from the foam of the Sea, the christians named this Event the"  Falling of the Light Angel: Lucipher " (= Night-Sun= Moon/ =Helios.)

Other greek  Myths about a falling to Earth-Moon are: Typhoneus or Phaeton and the GIGANTOMACHIA. Thus in 855 bc.

Sincerely " BlueHue " dd 3 dec. 2007
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 06:16:49 am by BlueHue » Report Spam   Logged

Gwen Parker
Superhero Member

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 11:55:36 am »

Dear. . . . GWEN,

You know my standpoint
that the last global tsunami hit atlantis in 855 bc and that this Event trigerred Tectonicf faultline Tsunamies simulaneously all over the globe.  Wich indeed is always misdated at 1650 or 1200 bc.

The story of the Moon hitting the Earth at the Pacific region is encountered in all folkMyths.  In Isreal it was called the Falling of the Splendour of Israel(= THE ANGEL AZRAEL.)in christian lore it was the Devil, in Greek Myth it was Typhoneus/ PHAETHON, the " Son of Helios "( Helios is mistook for the Sun , but it was ther Moon that got the name of the Silver Sun ( Night Sun) towards Hyperion the gold Sun.

Sincerly, " BlueHue" dd 3 Dec.2007

Bluhue, the global tsunami theory of 855 bc is a bit wacky.  The reason why that 1650 date comes in is, of course, the Santorini explosion.  Something simliar must have happened in 1200 bc, to bring about the Greek Dark Ages.  In your era, 855 bc, not only is there no such evidence that something happened, but the Med was re-emerging from the Dark Ages and getting into writing again.  Also, there is evidence for an ancient global tsunami 8,000 years ago, none in 855 bc! 

Gwen
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: