Atlantis Online
March 29, 2024, 08:13:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Comet theory collides with Clovis research, may explain disappearance of ancient people
http://uscnews.sc.edu/ARCH190.html

Home Help Arcade Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Epic Poems (poems that tell stories)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Epic Poems (poems that tell stories)  (Read 2416 times)
Pagan
Superhero Member

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2007, 02:37:18 am »

Does it involve sexual intercourse with beasties?  Cause that's where it's at these days, you know.  I wouldn't want you to miss out on the trend!
Report Spam   Logged

╔╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╗
☼The Pagan ☼
╚╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╪╝
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 02:56:57 am »

Sort of...

I don't want to give it away
Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 12:20:00 am »

Hi Unknown,

I read the poem on my lunch hour today (nice addition of the picture, by the way, that wasn't there earlier!).  I'll admit that I am not used to reading epic poems, so I don't really have a lot of other works to make comparisons with, however, it read pretty well to me. The only suggestion I would make is to shorten the middle a little bit, or else make some more foreshadowing of the werewolf at the end!

It actually reminded me of that movie "Brotherhood of the Wolf," have you ever seen it?  It's all about this monster that stalks an ancient European countryside and this pair of hunters (one of them, and Indian) try and stop it.  I highly recommend you see it as it left an impression and it is also similar to your werewolf stuff!

Brooke
Report Spam   Logged

"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein
Carolyn Silver
Superhero Member

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 12:44:48 am »

Does it involve sexual intercourse with beasties?  Cause that's where it's at these days, you know.  I wouldn't want you to miss out on the trend!

Sez YOU!

And that is only cause your sex life is so kinky!!
Report Spam   Logged
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 01:22:11 am »

Hi Brooke

I think your right all the cool stuff is at the end, and I spent forever setting up the story.

I should really make the end longer, its a good plot I am just not sure of this format for it, to hard to make the plot work in rythme.

I saw brotherhood of the wolf, very cool movie

Thanks for reading it Smiley
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 01:24:57 am by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

"There exists an agent, which is natural and divine, material and spiritual, a universal plastic mediator, a common receptical of the fluid vibrations of motion and the images of forms, a fluid, and a force, which can be called the Imagination of Nature..."
Elphias Levi
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2007, 04:22:15 pm »

Hi Brooke

I was thinking about what you said about not having read any epic poems, maybe you have and just didn't know thats what they were.

They are the oldest type of literate, almost all the great sagas are epic poems, such as the Illiad and the Odyssey.

Also great works of religion/philosophy were written in this form, the fantastic Prometheus Bound and of coarse Ovid's Metamorphoses.  Later such wonderful works as Chancer's Cantebury Tales.

But a really great epic Poem is Milton's Paradise Lost, one of the wonderful things about this is, that you can read it in the original language. This is a fantastic piece of literature, I highly recommend it.

A list of some....

The Ramayana

The Voyage of Argo: The Argonautica
      by Apollonius of Rhodes

The Aeneid
       by Virgil

The Metamorphoses
           of Ovid

The Thebaid: Seven against Thebes

The Trojan Epic: Posthomerica
    by Quintus of Smyrna

Beowulf

Shahnameh: The Persian Book of Kings

Song of the Nibelungs

The Song of Roland

The Divine Comedy
      by Dante Alighieri

The Kalevala: Or Poems of the Kaleva District

Paradise Lost
    by John Milton
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 06:25:24 am by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2007, 12:21:51 am »

I take it back, Unknown, I have read epic poems, just the term didn't connect with me when I was replying the other night.  In fact, I have read about half of those on your list, with the Divine Comedy being one of my personal favorites!

I did read the Illiad for school, too.  I can't believe that Homer actually went around telling that poem, as long as it is, and that there are other versions of it in existence! It's very long, I find it hard to believe that people could remember all the details, and it's hard to believe it could travel through the ages, unchanged! I know it's a classic, but I don't expect to be able to fully appreciate it until I get older.

Brooke
Report Spam   Logged

"The most incomprehensible thing about our universe is that it can be comprehended." - Albert Einstein
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2007, 12:49:17 am »

Hi Brooke

Thats why they rythme, so they are easier to memorize. They go back to a time before written language when knowledge was handed down by word of mouth.

Did you read Paradise Lost?

Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2007, 01:07:09 am »

Yes, I did, I read them back to back - Dante's Inferno was the one that stuck the most in my mind, though! I also saw a special on Dante, it seems he consigned some of his enemies in the book to one of the lower circles of hell, too.  I thought that was funny.

Report Spam   Logged

unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2007, 01:14:36 am »

That is funny

I was disappointed by Dante's Inferno, I found a paperback version at Barnes and Noble.

I imagine it is way better in the original language. But paradise Lost I just loved.

For those interested
www.sacred-texts.com
Most of these you can read at Sacred Texts
« Last Edit: March 04, 2007, 01:18:23 am by unknown » Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Brooke
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2007, 01:24:12 am »

I'll have to read Paradise Lost again if it comes so highly recommended by you! I do tend to get the two confused since I read them back to back.  Is Paradise Lost after Lucifer's fall or does it have the war in heaven and the archangel Michael in it?
Report Spam   Logged

unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2007, 02:02:39 am »

Hi Brooke

It starts out with the war in heaven and Lucifer being cast into the pit, and then he goes to Adam and Eve. One of the things thats cool about it is he tries to reconcile pagan beliefs with christianity and also tries to justify God to man.

Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Trent
Superhero Member

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2007, 10:47:28 pm »

Very good poem, Unknown.  It may need a little tightening in the middle, but I thought that the ending was very effective.  I wouldn't change that.
Report Spam   Logged

"That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."
unknown
Superhero Member

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2007, 12:04:44 am »

Thanks Trent

I think I should probably try to shorten it, though I don't want to lose to many plot points
Report Spam   Logged

Elphias Levi
Aphrodite
Administrator
Superhero Member

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2007, 02:09:56 am »

The epic poem is a lost art these days, it's nice to see someone reviving it, Unknown. 

My favorite all time epic poem would have to be Beowulf, all the Norse tales are under-rated.

I love your work, it recalls the masters, especially Poe.
Report Spam   Logged

"He who controls others maybe powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still.” - Lao Tsu
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: